October Infants & Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Re: October Infants & Toddlers

Memes - You may want to try pushing him to drop a nap. We transitioned DS to 2 naps at that age. He wasn't having nighttime sleep issues, but it did make him nap better (and allowed us some semblance of a schedule!). 

RE: fussiness, my DS went through several fussy stages as an infant, and in my (somewhat hazy) memory, most were related to things he wanted to do but couldn't yet: sitting, crawling, etc. Could it be something like that? The reflux or teething are both likely culprits, too, of course. Hope you can figure it out and/or the phase passes! 

Sorry for the bad sleep clc. Count me among the sleep-deprived today. DS has a cold and was coughing a ton last night. I wish we could bring ourselves to just switch off the monitor. We know he's fine, and if he woke up we'd hear him through the walls, but I just hate the thought of shutting it off so I can get a good sleep when his is clearly not that good :-(. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Thanks all! I hadn't thought about the bumpers, that is certainy worth a try.  I will have to order some and see if it helps.

And it is possible he is teething, not sure though.  He has not been a great sleeper in general, so I don't know that that is the problem.  

And I did try dropping a nap yesterday.  He normally goes to bed around 8-8:30.  He was exhausted at 7pm and falling asleep while taking the bottle.  So I tried to put him to bed early, but he had a hard time going down, and then still didn't sleep good.  I don't think he would be able to skip a nap and then stay awake until his normal bedtime.  Unless I am doing something wrong!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Lurking here...and a question for pugslove...

Clearly you're a pug person :) I have two 3-year old pugs, and as we know they are a breed withh special personalities! I posted a general question awhile ago about pet reactions to new babies, but I'm wondering how you're little pugger in particular reacted to your DS? We have one highly evolved, zen pug and one spastic guy with anxiety issues. Both are very cuddly. Thanks for any insight!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Memes, sorry you are struggling with this.  FWIW, my DS (5 months) also takes 3-4 naps per day.  He gets up around 7 AM and goes to sleep for the night between 7:30 and 8.  In between, he is usually doing 3 naps at daycare, 30 to 60 minutes each, and then falling asleep on the car ride home around 5:30.  In general (on non-daycare days) I find he can't make it to bedtime if he's up before 4:30 in the afternoon - he needs another power nap.

This is not advice; I just wanted to let you know you're not the only one with a frequent napper!  He's occasionally doing fewer longer naps now, but definitely not regularly.  Also I totally hear you on the crankiness (of mom).  I think I got 5 hours sleep last night and I am really out of it today.  DS has generally been a decent night sleeper, and he even adjusted to no swaddle in a few days after the advice I got on here, but the last three nights he has been *screaming* and inconsolable for an hour or more at a time.  It's horrible!  So you have my sympathy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Memes - Good luck. FWIW, despite my advice, DS was also a frequent napper. He would have been taking 3 a day until he was a year if our pedi hadn't pushed us to try and get him on a 2 nap schedule. It really does depend on the baby, though. Have you consulted your pedi to see if s/he has any advice?

Med, that stinks! Hope he gets back to his good patterns soon.

Speaking of screaming kids, though DS has been fine at nap/bedtime for the last week, he's now displaying a lot of separation anxiety in the mornings. He's woken up earlier than usual crying all week, and DH has had an awful time dropping him off at daycare this week. This morning he was super clingy with me: broke down sobbing when I went to use the bathroom and the same when I left the house. It probably doesn't help that he usually doesn't see me in the mornings (I work an early schedule so I can be on evening duty), but DH said this has been par for the course. 

I'm hoping this is one of those phases connected to developmental changes. He's almost 20 mos. and has been making major language/cognitive strides recently -- learning colors, lots of new words, putting words together. DH texted me that after DS calmed down this morning, he kept saying "Mama bye bye." 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Thanks Arcain and Med.  Med, your LO's nap schedule sounds very similar to mine.  My DS does 3-4 naps per day too, and similarly can't make it to bedtime if he is up before 4:30pm.  Hopefully he can extend his awake time soon and we can transition fully to 3 naps, and then down to 2 naps.

Last night he woke up twice and I couldn't get him to calm down either time (I usually can soothe him back to sleep, and only feed once).  So, last night I fed him twice and he went back to sleep each time.  Am I totally crazy to ADD a nighttime feeding if it makes him wake less often???

Arcain, I am sorry to say that I can't remember back to 20 months!  But, my DD had separation anxiety on and off occasionally, with the worst bout of it when she was 2.5 years and I was pregnant.  I hope this is just a quick phase for you, because I know how hard it can be.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Hi WPP!  We have 2 pugs too!  My girl pug (Liv - 2yrs) was very interested in the baby and my boy (Buddy - 4 yrs) sniffed him once then really let him be.  I had a Rock - N - Sleeper, Fisher price makes it, which we loved!  It is high enough off the floor so that the pugs couldnt get to DS.  The other issue for us was sleeping.  Both pugs slept with us in bed and DS slept in the co-sleeper.  The first few nights Liv slept in her crate in our room and Buddy slept on his bed in our room.  So that was a little tough but we got through it!  Also DH brought a blanket home that DS used so the pugs could smell it.  Now that DS is older, Liv will tolerate DS more than Buddy.  Buddy will just jump away from DS. Ofcourse DS loves to grab the pugs legs and feet which like most pugs they hate! We all get along great, not we ever had any problems! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Memes, I don't think you're totally crazy.  :)  I'm pretty sure that happened with my DD.  It's not ideal, but honestly I think it was a matter of survival.  I couldn't function and be a semi happy and successful person with the sleep deprivation, and feeding her made her go back to sleep so I could go back to sleep, too.  We weren't willing to let her cry alone at that young age, so it was really the way to survive.

I do think I let it go too far, and probably should have made some short term sleep sacrifices in exchange for longer term gains, once she got older (like maybe after 7 months), but who knows?

I don't want to jinx myself, but happily DS has been back to his normal pattern for the last two nights, just eating once around 3 AM and no unusual/pained screaming.  Thank goodness.  I did take him to the doctor and they found nothing wrong (of course).  My current theory is that it was caused by antibiotics that I am taking.  I started making sure to take them after feeding or pumping and not before.  But who knows.  The doctor said it's possible, although not known to be a likely thing.  Then she asked if he had diarrhea, and I was like, he's a BF baby, he always has diarrhea!  But apparently there is some distinction.  The theme of this post is: who knows?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Today is the day the paci disappears.  Eeek.  We've been down to car rides and in the crib for several months now.  But tonight we're doing away with it cold turkey.  I took it out of the car this morning before our ride to daycare.  DS didn't seem to notice at all so hopefully this won't be a huge deal.  We shall see!  Who's ready for a long night?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

clc - Ill be interested in hearing how everything goes!  DS has his paci's in the crib only and we are about to take away the nap paci then bed time...Good Luck!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

We survived! Friday went fine, a little crying on Saturday but other than that it was great.  There is no turning back now.  I threw away all but two which I hide away on Saturday in case we had to go back but I'm going to get rid of those now too.  So happy to have that over with!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I have no idea how I"m going to eventually get DD2 to stop soothing herself with her two fingers. At least with a binky you have the option to get rid of it.  My eldest didn't do anything to soothe. I guess eventually she'll stop, maybe from peer pressure when she gets to kindergarten.  I think that might be how my sister stopped scking her thumb (though I suppose my lovely, professional, brooks-brothers-suit, financial district sister still has some days she goes home, pours a glass of wine, and scks her thumb haha)

I wish DD2 would stop if only to stop getting herself sick with daycare germs.  I know DD1 didn't have this much trouble.  I guess she didn't get a double-dose of day care germs the way DD2 does, getting the big-kid germs from sister upstairs as well as her own room's.  We're on the 3rd roung of antibiotics here due to a double ear infection/sinus infection that hasn't cleared.  She's definitely having trouble hearing and her speech development (which had really blossomed over the summer) has slowed and she's not even saying some words she used to have as much or as clearly.  The next conversation is tubes, which I'd really rather avoid. She's just got anatomy which is conducive to things getting clogged up and gross, plus seasonal allergies, poor thing. Sigh.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Lissa-sorry about DD2-how old is she? DS was on antibiotics every 3 weeks for ear infections-it cleared up for him when he was about 18 months-that's when most kids are physically big enough to let that mucus drain. We were on our way to get tubes when the infections just stopped. I was so thankful! But DS is still prone to ear infections-he's even burst an ear drum from them this year. But now he gets maybe 1-2 a year now (age 4). Funny that my DD has only had maybe 4 ear infections total!

CLC-glad to hear the paci went away easily! DD has gone through phases when she'll refuse hers, so I'm psyched that it's gone, then I realize after a week she's miserable (and so am I) without it. We've tried twice to get rid of it with no luck. Thankfully she only has it in her crib.

Right now DD is doing this funny thing when going to sleep, she is insisting on touching either DH or myself. we just have to sit next to her crib and let her rub our legs. we keep trying to break this cycle, but when we do she's up until 9:30 at night -over an hour and a half in her crib no asleep calling for us. Tempted to move her out of her crib (so we could lay down with her), but I'm not ready! Though she is starting to potty train, so when we go full force I guess I'll have to get rid of the crib then. (and hopefully the paci then!)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Great news, clc!  I hope that it goes that well with DS but I am dreading it!  Although, he did great giving up the bottle so Ill keep my fingers crossed with the paci!  I started to ask him to put the paci in his bed when he wakes up.  Now, he doesn't cry when I take it out!

liss - sorry to hear about DD's ear infections.  It really stinks when they are not feeling well.  DS has come down with a cold, thankfully no fever, but has a runny nose and cough. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Clc and pugs, you are inspring me.  I'm making a plan to be binky-free by the new year.  DD is in another trasition on her "grammy daycare" days with my mom starting to watch my 12 week old neice as well, so I want to get through that.  As it is, she really only takes it for naps, in the car, sleeping and during that awful 4-5pm witching hour.

We are dealing with some separation anxiety right now, too.  Its like at 15 months someone flipped a switch.  She screams everytime I leave a room without her (except when i put her into her crib, thank goodness), and daycare drop-offs have been tearful.  By the time I put her coat in the cubby and say hi to few people and peek in the window she is usually settled down and eating her breakfast, so it only lasts a few minutes, but it is so heartwrenching!  She used to just wave bye and smile.  At her check up I asked how long it might last and he said "maybe until 2 or 2 and a half".  Eeek!!  Really?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Lissa, I hear you with the fingers in their mouths.  DS hasn't had his binky for almost 8 months, and when we did get rid of it, it was only during crib time that he had had it since 1 year old.  All of a sudden, at 3 years old, his fingers are constantly in his mouth.  Its driving me insane, especially since he's chapping his lips so badly (and the germ issue too).  There are his lips, and then there is this lovely red ring around his lips.  No idea why all of a sudden he's got this fixation with his mouth.  And as you mention, fingers are a little tough to take away.  We'll definitely be starting the binky with #2 to curb any thumb use.  It worked so well for us with DS; at 1 year we stopped daytime use, and at 2 1/2 or so, we were able to explain about the binky fairy, he walked them to the mailbox and was excited to "send them away to the babies" without looking back.  Wish I could send his fingers off to the babies!

Speaking of babies and DS#2, I've just sorted through all our clothes and put all the 0-3mth in the bureau.  I have way more short sleeve onsies than I do long sleeve for some reason (even with a prior same season, same gender, baby, I still got 3 sets of hand me downs in the past few months, so I'm drowning in clothes).  And I just can't remember about layering.  Should I keep all the short sleeves?  Already seems so cold out.  I recall DS#1 being such a hot kid, so I think I just had him either in a long sleeve pajama type outfit or a long sleeve onsie and pants most of the time.  I just can't remember though... do I need to be layering with the short sleeve underneath?

November... I recall separate anxiety.  Not exactly sure when... but 15-18 months sounds right.  My son was with his Nana starting at 3 mths, 5 days a week.  And then randomly, a year later, he just started to freak when I'd drop him off.  So its definitely a developmental thing.  I don't recall it lasting too long though for us... so I wouldn't think you've got a whole year in front of you.  Just try to stress verbally that you will keep coming back, every time you either leave daycare or leave the room.  And when you do come back, "see, I'm back like I said," and hopefully she'll get it pretty quickly.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Lissa, sorry your DD is sick.  I laughed at your thoughts about your sister.  I have a *very* successful cousin who still secretly sucks her thumb.

Personally, I am a big fan of ignoring it.  My aunt was always telling my cousin to stop it and (obviously) it did not get her to stop it at all.  Obviously easier said than done.  IPW, possible that your DS knows things are about to change??  My DD never sucked her fingers or a pacifier, and then when DS was born all of a sudden her fingers were in her mouth all the time.  I mentioned it once (re: germs) and then I decided to stop and just ignore it, and it did stop.

DS loves his pacifier!  He is so adorable when he puts it in himself.  He gets so excited, and then sometimes he cups it in both hands like he's playing the harmonica.  I'm also amused when he's on his tummy and he dips his head down to get it like he's bobbing for apples.  Although, when can they start to find it in their crib in the middle of the night??  That would be a nice milestone.  :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

IPW - I put a long sleeved onesie on DS any time he wears a short sleeve onesie or any type of shirt that doesn't snap at the bottom. I don't want his little belly sticking out and getting cold. Do you have any sweatshirts or sweaters that you can put over the short sleeved shirts? That would be another option. 

My little one is starting to go through a little separation anxiety too, at ~6 months. He's usually fine until he sees me and then he loses it. He's started reaching for people and as soon as he sees me, his arms shoot out and he starts screaming. He's usually not too bad at daycare. I give him to a teacher and then I wait until he smiles at me before I leave. I figure that's his sign for "I'm okay, Mama." But he watches me like a hawk while I'm putting his things away so I'm sure it's just a matter of time before he puts it all together and starts to freak out when I leave. Then I'm not sure what will happen to our lunch time visits. I don't want to put him through that twice a day!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Hahaa... I am getting visions in my head of all these successful suits sitting at fancy desks sucking their thumbs.

IPW, I'd keep the short-sleeves.  Like Chiclet, I have always put an underonesie on DD so no belly/back is exposed, and I put one under her PJs as an extra layer.  If you are going to be swaddling him, you'll probably want him in shortsleeves under the blanket anyways.

Chiclet, I'm sure its worse for use then them.  Like I said, I usually peek before I leave and see her sitting there happy as a clam eating her breakfast.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

I was going to say that getting rid of a pacifier at 12 to 18  months might work better than getting rid of it at 21/2 yrs old re; not having them start sucking their thumb, fingers, etc. like you son is doing at 3 years old. 

BUT then medford said her daughter, who never did any pacifier or thumb sucking, started doing it when her baby brother was born.,... so one doesn't lead to the other.

Still, the longer you use it, the longer the habit of needing something in the mouth to soothe yourself - really, a baby needs to suck for soothing outside of nursing, so that's why they suck on fingers, binkies, etc.  But a toddler and older has other mechanisms to soothe - like hugging a doll, snuggling a blankie, crying and getting over the upset, etc.  They don't need a pacifier, and the longer we let them have it, we're not helping them learn to use other (more socially appropriate and less mouth-chapping and germ inducing) methods to self soothe. 

And, after my parents negotiated the throwing away of MY pacifier at AGE FIVE, (yes, folks, you read that right!) I started biting my nails, and my hands are just hacked! Actually, my fingertips are less sensitive and I'm less able to open small things with my fingertips and I think that's because I've deadened the tips of my fingers from 45 years of nail biting (my nails are bitten down and my cuticles, too, it's not pretty).  And I wonderf if one led to the other....?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I sucked my finger until I was 8 (in private), needed 5 years of braces (which were $2 grand we didn't have), and suffer today with TMJ because of the braces.  I wish my mom had done whatever it took to force me to stop before it wrecked my teeth.

Kids pick up on your separation anxiety and internalize it, magnifying their own.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

IPW--just chiming in on the finger sucking. My DS#1 went through a big phase of finger sucking as he was potty training. (It drove me nuts because of the all the germ issues surrounding both activities.) We think he was anxious about making sure he was doing the right things re: the potty and not having any accidents. Often times he didn't even realize his fingers were in his mouth. We would call him on it at home and his teachers at preschool did the same. It lasted about six weeks and then just stopped.

DS#2 is a thumb sucker and has been since he was in utero (that's how we often found him on the u/s!) He really only does it when he's super tired or really upset. So, we are going with Med's approach of mostly ignoring it. Both DH and I sucked our thumbs as children. We never had any teeth or jaw issues (neither of us needed braces), we both eventually stopped on our own, and we ended up as fully functioning adults. :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

DS would put all his fingers randomly until almost 3 - but we think for him, it was due to his last set of molars taking *forever* to come in (at 2.5, that last set of molars were still not in yet, but by 3, they were, and that was when he started reducing the number of times he sticks his fingers into his mouth). DH does give him a teether that has xylitol after meals, which he will chew on, then give back to DH after a few minutes and that seems to be usually all he needs to satisfy his need to chew on something. He is a hugger though - when he gets really upset, he needs to be hugged and that seems to be his way of coping.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I should maybe clarify that DD's fingers in mouth short term thing wasn't really sucking.  She would just have them in there, poking around.  Not sure if that's relevant, but maybe, since as with what CT mentioned, she wasn't transferring from sucking one thing to another.  It was definitely a standalone nervous habit.  I think it's just like Kiwi described.  I'm sure that there are different tactics that work in specific cases for different kids, but I think for some kids, if the kid is determined to suck their fingers or thumb, you're not going to be able to stop them.

Chiclet - sorry to hear the separation difficulties.  Hope you won't have to lose your lunch visits!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Med - totally.  My DS is not sucking on his fingers either.  Its like his mouth is just a shelf for them to lean on.  I often wonder if he knows he's doing it also.  They aren't in his mouth at night, or when I'd imagine he'd most want to be soothed... they just end up there sometimes.  I like a combination of approaches that everyone is using.  We mention it, he takes them right out.  I don't punish or cause a scene but rather just calmly "please take your fingers out of your mouth," so as to try to not make a big deal (I find now that he's 3... the things I do make a big deal about, he wants to do EVEN MORE!  Ah... love that fierce will they are cultivating at this age).

Kiwi, interesting about the potty training correlation.  My son is definitely a perfectionist I think... so you may be on to something with him.  We'll play it out and see what happens as a few weeks go by.

Sections
Shortcuts