October Infants & Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Re: October Infants & Toddlers

Question for you ladies about ear infections...

Is it possible that DS has an ear infection without a fever? He was a complete nightmare last night. I couldn't do anything to make him happy. He seemed worst when I had to lay him down but I don't know if that's because he was in pain or because he was out of my arms. He sometimes tugs on his ear when he's nursing on the right side, never when he's nursing on the left and he doesn't tug it any other time of the day. He kind of flails his top arm while he's nursing, so I don't know if it just happens to connect with his ear sometimes or if he's purposefully putting it there. I don't know if he was so upset last night because he's getting another tooth or if his ear was really bothering him or if he just wanted his mama. DH is out of the house Thursday nights so it was just me and DS all night. I don't know if this is related, but he's woken up screaming the last three mornings. His daycare teachers said that he's had good days with them, so I don't know. I just hate that he's miserable and I can't figure out how to help him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Hi Chiclet.

It is possible to have an ear infection with no fever.

My DD1 (who is 3 now) was plagued with ear infections for her first 2 years.  So much so that our pedi sent us to mass eye&ear when she was about 22 months old to consider tubes.  We waited and she outgrew the frequent ear infections around age 2.  She had many many ear infections - some that would take 2 or more rounds of antibiotics and she hardly ever ran a fever with any of them.  Made it very tough to diagnose from a parents' point of view.  But I usually went with my gut and 9 times out of 10 she had an ear infection.

Hope your little guy feels better soon!  Could be teeth, could be ears.  So hard to tell at this age!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Chiclet, I always thought they were related too.  We were in a similar situation where DS had a few rough days and I called and talk to the nurse.  She said it could be either teeth or ears but wasn't sure which one.  Her recommendation was to try Motrin for a few days to see if it helped.  She said if it did help then it was probably teeth but if after a few days it wasn't getting better they would want to check his ears.  We did Motrin for 2 days and it was like he was a new person on day 3 and sure enough a tooth had broken through.  Also, my DS pulls on his ears when he's tired.  He's never had an ear infection before (knock on wood) but as soon as he's approaching nap or bed time he can be seen rubbing his eyes and pulling on his ears. Good luck!

We are still without the paci.  It was probably poor timing because DS has molars coming in right now and I'm sure he would love the paci and to be honest I would love to give it to him.  But what's done is done.  He is now putting his fingers in his mouth but it's more to chew on them than suck on them.  I'm hoping as soon as this next molar breaks through he will stop that habit.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

My daughter almost never gets fevers despite her many, many ear infections.  It could be teeth too, of course. Sigh.  So tough to tell.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

We hardly ever know when DD has an ear infection - we have gone to the pedi for other reasons, to have him say "oh, BTW, DD has an ear infection" but we only done antiobiotics once for the time when it did seem to bother her. Rest of the time, it was already on its way out. DS on the other hand, we always knew - he would scratch up his ears and usually have a low grade fever.

but it could be anything. new milestones (remember, they are developing so rapidly cognitively too and what did not bother them yesterday can suddenly be a big deal today), teeth, ear infection (or even just fluid in the ear - I get that every winter, with and without ear infection, and it can be really disorienting at times).

so who is looking forward to the time change and the disruption to the kids' sleep and feeding schedules? I only wish I would really get that extra hour of sleep, but I know all I am going to get is the kids awake an hour earlier. DS has been cute lately though - it has been dark now when he gets up so sometimes if we are not up yet, he would call out "is it still night?" because the sun is not up yet.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Ugh I haven't even been thinking about the time change! Between DD and the dog we'll be up at 4am in our house...

I've been absent from this board for what seems like forever, for no other reason than there aren't enough hours in a day to do everything I want to do! I hope everyone is enjoying the fall season and that your LOs are doing well.

Any fun Halloween plans going on? DH and I will take DD trick or treating on Thursday (she's going to be a cupcake!) and also today at his work for a kids Halloween party. She's growing so fast (16 months), running all over and has a vocabulary of over 60 words (yes we actually counted one day...lol). She's getting so big and coupled with that, there are new babies popping up everywhere it seems, and it's giving me baby fever. I'm working on losing some weight and just getting healthier all around before we have another LO, but I'll admit I'm getting impatient :-P

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Swallowing can exaserbate the pain of an ear infection as can lying down - both cause pressure changes in the ear.  And, no, it does not have to present with fever.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Thanks for the ear infection pointers. I don't think that's DS's issue. I think he was just having a cranky night last week. He was totally fine all weekend. We have his six-month appointment on Thursday, so I'm just going to wait and see what they say. I can't wait for that appointment and get his official weigh-in. He's getting so chubby!

I'm totally dreading the time change! But I'm already a zombie now, what's one less hour!?!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

So what are your kids going to be for Halloween?  DD, 3 (aaaah! as of Sunday), is going to be a purple butterfly...the purple component is equally as important as the butterfly.  DS, 1, is going to be a puppy.  DD picked it out for him.  

This will be our first Halloween in our new house, and according to our neighbors, we'll get lots of trick or treaters.  I'm thinking we'll take the kids to the immediate neighbors (maybe 6 or 7 houses)...does that sound like enough for a 3 year old?  Last year she didn't even want to wear her costume, but this year she's been practicing her "trick or treat".  Then I figure we can sit on the porch, still in her costume and she can give candy to the kids who come?  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Happy birthday, little miss luv!  First year in our new house, too!  I think we will try the three houses of our immediate neighbors.  DD is excited, but I expect she may freeze at the paths to the door, and that's okay.  Also, she learned to say from her Charlie Brown great pumpkin book, "trick or treat, money or eats!"  Oy.

DS had his 6 month checkup yesterday - 15 lbs 3 oz.  Apparently he's only 5-10% both at 4 months and now, after hanging with the big kids for the first couple of months.  Teething like crazy, and I can *see* both the two bottom teeth and the four front top, but they just won't bust through.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Hi all--

DD had her 4 mo checkup and she is growing like a champ!  She is catching up to the median in height and remains a chunky monkey in the weight category. :)  

Some close friends recently had a baby, and I was thinking about things I found useful with my little one that I hadn't necessarily thought of in advance. It made me wonder if any of you wanted to share a favorite toy or resource that your baby loves.  I am listening to anything for babies in the 4-8 month range, esp related to introducing solid foods since our pediatrician gave us the go ahead to do that some time in the next month or two.

(If anyone with a newborn is reading, my list would include: white noise machine and/or sleep sheep, miracle blanket, woombie, Healthy Sleep Habits Healthy Child book, the Isis parenting weekly baby development email updates, winkel toy, wubanub pacifier toy, Earth Mama Angel Baby bottom balm...)

ETA: We're looking forward to Halloween here too, although DD is too young for trick or treating.  No matter--we get 200 trick-or-treaters at our door in a typical year, so there is plenty of fun!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

My DS is being a lion.  He's been practicing his roar for months now.  When he sees his costume he gives it hugs and kissed.  I can't wait to see him in it tomorrow for their daycare party!  On halloween we are going to have DS dressed up but we don't plan on going trick or treating.  Instead we've invited my parents, grandmother and siblings to our house for a drink and apps so they can all see him.  We don't get too many trick or treaters at our house unfortunately but we'll be ready for the 10-20 that show up.

Siena - for starting with solid foods I made my own purees using the Baby Bullet.  It was a pain in the butt but it definitely saved me a lot of money.  I bought a lot of the veggies frozen, so much easier for squash than roasting and then pureeing from scratch.  Once you move to finger foods the Tommy Tippie bibs with the catch basin were a life saver.  DS was constantly missing his mouth so I could scoop it out and give him another shot at eating whatever he was working on.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I would add that if you already have a food processor or food mill, you don't need to have a separate appliance for pureeing.  I did get a lot of use out of my steamer basket (the old fashioned metal hardware store kind that sits in the pot), both for fresh vegetables and frozen.  And ice cube trays if you're going to make purees - I liked the OXO ones that have lids.  All of these are just if you want to make food.  DD got a lot of homemade food, but DS may be getting less!  Although I did just buy some squash to make for him.  Regarding packaged food, I have tried them and I do think the pouch food tastes fresher than the jarred, but we will probably use some of each.

A weird thing I liked was ceramic ramekins, like from crate and barrel or any kitchen store.  I don't like to microwave food in plastic, so I liked having little dishes to thaw or heat food in.  They are breakable, so we used them for when we would feed her, then maybe a hiatus when she was learning to feed herself, and then she used them again once we were mostly confident she wouldn't fling them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

We got these Dr Brown's Food Storage Pods (for free when I wrote them a letter to complain, but that's another story). They are silicone. I don't know if that makes you feel better about microwaving them or not though. We're trying Baby Led Weaning instead of purees so we haven't used them yet, but it might be an alternative to the ramekins?

Med - Thanks for the suggestion about the ice cube trays with the cover! I wanted to make some breast milk ice cubes to help DS teethe but I'm kind grossed out by breast milk just sitting open in the freezer. This is perfect! I didn't know they made such a thing.

My dad asked me the other day when we were planning to get DS a walker. Is that still a thing? He has a jumper, not a walker. I was thinking of asking Santa for one of those walker toys that the baby pushes from behind. My dad is picturing something with a seat like we had when we were kids. What do you recommend? (PS. It's funny how my dad loves to give us suggestions based on parenting 30 years ago. With everything we've learned since then, it's amazing any of us made it out of childhood in one piece!)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Chiclet - the OXO ones I have don't have an airtight lid, just like a slidey lid, but I'm pretty sure I've seen others that have a tight lid if you want that.  I generally freeze them in the trays and then move the cubes to a freezer bag once they're totally solid.

I think walkers are generally not recommended because the baby will do lots of crashing down open stairwells, into fireplaces, et cetera.  ;)  Not sure if there are also concerns about physical development?  That is, using walking muscles before the support muscles are ready?  But I'm sure we all used them and can still walk.  But I have no idea if walkers are still available.  I think jumpers and exersaucers have pretty much replaced walkers.  DD loved the exersaucer and we're planning on using it again for DS.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Thanks for all the recommendations!  Starting with frozen fruits and veggies for the purees sounds like a great idea, which (silly me!) I hadn't thought of yet. I will need to get an ice cube tray and some of those nifty containers.

Chiclet--my pediatrician's office says no baby walkers at any age, according to the info sheet they handed out at my 4 month appointment.  The reasons are both safety (falls, etc.) and that it delays development of actual walking motor skills.

http://www.healthychildren.org/English/safety-prevention/at-home/pages/Baby-Walkers-A-Dangerous-Choice.aspx

Does DS already have an activity table? That is supposed to be good for practicing pulling up to stand and such.  DD is getting one for hannukah, I think. It will be my first compromise to my noisy electronic toy ban.  Sigh. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

those walkers that your dad is talking about are still made today but it is not recommended to use anymore. What we usually mean by walkers, at least in my house, are the push ones (I guess similiar design to walkers used by senior citizens. Our daycare does not have any jumpers, swings, exercisers, but they do have the sit and ride ones that can also be used to push for early walkers, and they have stationary setups that encourages kids to pull up and cruise. 

If I have to pick just one option, I would look for a sit and ride that can be used as a walker. Like this one - we got one from same series but different theme for DD, and she loves it (first, to hide her toys in the seat, then to try to push it and now, sometimes she tries to sit and scoot on it, especially when DS is on his scooter/rider). 

Fisher-Price Little People Time to Learn Ride-On

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

Sienna, i am wondering - which activity table? I don't recall seeing one that is embedded with noise. We got a train table for DS - we noticed he would be cruising around to try to get his toys on it, and then as he got older, we put the trains on it, or do puzzles or legos (and in fact, i plan to keep it as my puzzle table when the kids are older). And DD would do the same - cruise around to try to reach for toys or anything we put on it that she really wants... the only gotcha we ran into is that she figured out how to climb on it and she is not good with feet on the ground aspect, but like we put a mini-keyboard, and she loves banging on it since it is perfect height for her. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

This is the one I was going to put on DS's Christmas list: V-Tech Sit-to-Stand Learning Walker but I do like the looks of the ride-on too. I can totally see how the old school walkers would be unsafe. We do have a little music table that my cousin passed down to us. We don't have the legs on it right now but he can play with it on the floor. He's still working on sitting up unassisted so we've got time. I've just been trying to think of good things to put on his Christmas list. He loves to stand up now, he just doesn't have the balance yet. But when he does, look out! :-)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I know the kind you mean, Siena.  Like this: http://www.amazon.com/LeapFrog-Learn-Groove-Musical-Table/dp/B000ETRENI

I have to say that I hate ours (that exact one, actually).  If I had had the space, I would have preferred to just have a low general purpose activity table like cwag is talking about, so they can still pull to stand on it, and then be able to vary the toys so it's not so boring.  And then you can use it for all the stuff cwag mentioned in the future.  Plus, some of the little ones are not that sturdy to pull up on - I saw a baby at daycare this morning take down theirs twice in a row.

But that's just me.  They're super popular, so I'm sure a lot of people love them!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

medfordcc--yes, that is the table I was thinking of.  I think my in-laws already bought for DD, so that ship has sailed, but I do like the idea of just a regular kid height table that we could put different toys on.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

We have a stand-up table like the one Medford posted. I don't mind it. Just make sure to get one with a volume adjuster (usually on the bottom)! However, I love Cwag's idea of just having a kid-sized table that you put toys on for the little one to reach for!

For walk-along toys, DS *loves* the Melissa and Doug alligator one. It's the only one he'll use and he's never fallen: http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Deluxe-Chomp-Alligator/dp/B000GZGE3Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1383232482&sr=1-1&keywords=melissa+and+doug+walker. We also have some of the ride-on ones that we keep in the garage for outdoor use.

I know walkers aren't recommended anymore, but I have to admit... my MIL has one she got at a yard sale and both my kids have LOVED it. Obviously we only have it in spaces that have no open stairwells, and only under strict supervision.

Question: any of you have experience with a 14.5 month old who has no words (except "uh-oh") and is not walking? I know we have our 15 month appt coming up, but it's been on my mind. I'm not feeling overly concerned because he is very expressive (just without actual words) and his receptive language is great, but DD was walking and talking by 12 months so this is unfamiliar territory for me.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Poppy - that was my son.  At our 15 month appointment he was cruising and walking using one of the push walkers but not walking on his own.  He also only had 3 or so words.  Pedi wasn't concerned even though we sort of were.  She had us take away anything that he was using as a walker (push walker, Cozy Coupe) to encourage him to start on his own.  Took 3 days of no walkers and sure enough he started walking by himself.  For words, our pedi said 15-18 months is where we should start seeing more words develop.  He still doesn't have a lot of words but it seems like every week we are adding one.  I think he's at 8 now that he uses consistently.  We've heard others every now and then but not something he uses often.  He will be 17 month next week so I guess he's right on schedule.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

talking - DS did not really talk until after 18 months (he barely met the minimum count they ask about at 15 months and 18 months) so at his 18 month check, I think we had maybe 10 words. By 24 months, he was over 200 words and was starting short sentences (the one oddity during that period was that his toddler teacher pointed out to us was that DS *never* said his own name and we have no idea why).

DD babbles - she turns 14 months, but no words we recognize other than uh-oh, bu-bye and mama - and maybe "ball". She hollers "Da-da-da-da" or "ba-ba-ba-ba" and points when she wants something, and we just got her to sign "mo" (more). She definitely is ahead of where DS was at this same age (DS did not really babble much either) - but she does not really have any additional words.

As for walking - I thought it is not unusual for babies to start walking as late as 16 months. I know the boys next door to us walked late (one is DS's age, and he walked at like 15-16 months, and I recall the mother saying they all walked late).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

thanks CLC and Cwag. I knew DS wasn't the only one, but it is comforting to know he is not outside the norm.

Sections
Shortcuts