October Infants & Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Re: October Infants & Toddlers

Poppy - my DD (now 3) as well.  At 15 months, she had great receptive language and she did some signing (and lots of good pointing), but didn't really say any words.  She progressed to be the most extensive talker in her toddler room.  She also wasn't walking - she would do the sit and scoot, and she would cruise a little.  However, you might recall that she did qualify for EI for her gross motor skills, but she qualified at 12 months and that was before she could even pull to stand.  I don't think not walking would qualify until maybe 18 months unless there are other gross motor problems as well.  Anyway, of course it's something you'll keep an eye on, but it doesn't sound so late to me.  :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to Chiclet831's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is the one I was going to put on DS's Christmas list: V-Tech Sit-to-Stand Learning Walker but I do like the looks of the ride-on too. I can totally see how the old school walkers would be unsafe. We do have a little music table that my cousin passed down to us. We don't have the legs on it right now but he can play with it on the floor. He's still working on sitting up unassisted so we've got time. I've just been trying to think of good things to put on his Christmas list. He loves to stand up now, he just doesn't have the balance yet. But when he does, look out! :-)

[/QUOTE]

My DD has this and loves it even to this day at 16 months old and walking/running all over on her own.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Wouldn't worry about not walking at 14 1/2 months at all!  does your son crawl, sit up unassisted, can he get from a sit to a stand, from a stand to a sit (without just crashing to the ground) and also can he sit up when he's lying down?  (or is it laying down?  really, this one stupid thing kills me every time).  Does he seem 'stiff' or can he bend and move pretty easily?  If all those other things are a yes at 14 1/2 months old, and he doesn't seem stiff, then I'd not worry.

And the language? really, don't worry about that one - some kids just bulldoze through, saying words even if we can't understand them, babbling, etc. while others seem to listen, and then when they do start saying words later, they are pretty clear.  ditto when kids start putting 2 words together for sentences - sometimes at 18 months, sometimes at 2 yrs old (more often by 2 yrs old) and some later....

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Poppy, sounds like you got lots of reassurance on DS, but just to add one more voice to the mix: DS didn't start walking until after 14 mos and it took him awhile to take more than a few steps at a time. He only had a few words at 18 mos (can't remember how many, and it was less than 3 months ago!), but now at 20 mos I don't think I can count how many he has! All sounds very normal. 

Just curious, does your DD talk "for" him? If I recall they're about 3 years apart? My MIL says DH was very slow to talk because his sister, who is 3 1/2 years older, always translated his gestures and sounds for the adults :-). 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Thanks! Good to get some perspective. I know having no/few words can be normal at this age, but I do think part of it may be that we all (adults and his sister included) tend to give him what we interpret he wants without going through the motions of having him "ask" for it. He goes "Uh! Uh!" and we hand him the cheerios, that sort of thing.

A new issue we're having is he won't sleep for naps in his crib longer than 10-15 minutes. He wakes up crying. Very unusual for him. I think it is a phase, perhaps separation anxiety. Making for a very tired boy and frustrated caregivers.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Poppy, maybe the sleep disruption is an indication he's about to walk!  My girls always seem to have weird sleep patterns right before a new physical developmental milestone.  Prior to walking, the sleep disruption stage was a week or so it seemed.  They both did that thing where they wake up standing in their cribs and cry because they're confused haha. 

Their little brains are in overdrive, growing so much, and it messes with their sleep patterns. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Good point! We shall see!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Poppy, just another reassurance...my 14 month old isn't walking on his own yet either. He cruises all over the place, and will walk just barely hanging on to my pinky, but if I let go, he'll sit himself down.  I've noticed in the last couple of days that he's spending more time standing on his own, now, though, so I think we're getting close.  Also, he's much more adventurous than his sister...he's been climbing stairs for weeks...now trying to walk down them, as long as he's holding a hand...she was much more cautious about stairs, to the point that we never needed a gate!  

As for words...he nods yes and no in response to questions, he points and "uh-uh!" if he wants something, and he's started getting frustrated when we don't understand.  Actual words, though?  Very few...mama, dada, sssss (which we think is sister).  He does totally understand what we're saying, though...cognition is there.  

I know for me it's hard because I keep comparing him to DD, and they are very different kids in so many ways.  Hearing other parents of other kids (especially of boys) helps so much!  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I also think it may be a second child thing. I've seen it many times, the younger child doesn't really need to walk anyway or say anything because the older sibling and/or parents will bring them what they need, etc. My friend is going through this with her two year old, he does walk but he's a man of few words. His 4 year old sister just runs and get him his cup or whatever it is she thinks he needs.

Sections
Shortcuts