Ok ladies, talk me down

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from roneil68. Show roneil68's posts

Ok ladies, talk me down

Mom of a 14 year old, 11 year old and 8 month old (surprise!) who I still nurse on demand and I'm officially 8 days late.  DH had a vasectomy last year (when I was 8 months pregnant - talk about closing the barn door after the horse got out...) but I just read the failure rate was 1 in 2000 - 4000.  Did I mention I'll be 43 in June?  Trying not to freak out.  Will buy pregnancy test tomorrow morning I guess.  I got my first post partum period in Jan and then exactly 28 days later in Feb.  Think maybe I'm just skipping because I'm nursing?  Then why did it start up again?  I do feel a little crampy but I don't know if they're period cramps or egg attaching to my uterus cramps!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Ok ladies, talk me down

Well, I suppose you could be pg, but you know as well as anybody your period very often doesn't get regulated for a long time after you get it again post-delivery.  I'd bet a large amount that you're not pg, just totally irregular.

If you were 43, actually trying to get pregnant (no vasectomy and well-timed BDing), and were not 8 months post-partum, you'd STILL have less than a 5% (closer to 0% than 5, actually) chance per month of getting pregnant.  Add all those factors to the mix and the chances are practically negligible, imo.

ETA:  That failure rate is across the board and includes younger women who are in the most fertile years who are not nursing.  If you were to be pg given all the factors against it it'd be one in a million+, not 1 in 4000.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

I really don't think you are pregnant, I think it's related to the nursing and producing more milk as baby gets bigger. The same thing has happened to me recently, I took a home test a couple of times a week or so apart and they were both negative. I still haven't had my period so I'll ask for a blood test when I am at my regular physical this week.

That said, go get a hpt and take it, no sense in worrying about nothing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

My periods were all over the place when I got them back 13 months after DD was born.  They were 28 days, then 35, then 23, etc. etc. etc.  You can test, but hopefully it's nothing!  I would have tested already, but that's me!

GL!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I'm sure you're not pregnant.  You're just not regular yet due to the nursing.  Get a test to be sure - but really - what are the chances? :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

Why are you waiting to test till tomorrow?  The uncertainty of not knowing would drive me mental!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Maybe it's menopause? 
    This might be the only time a person would cross her fingers and pray for hot flashes!
    Good luck!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

43 is definitely in the perimenopausal range and is why getting pg, even if you're trying and all your ducks are in a row is extremely unlikely. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

I'd suggest taking an HPT or getting your doctor to do a blood test.  The odds are you aren't pregnant, but whether you are or aren't, no amount of discussion on these boards is going to change it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from roneil68. Show roneil68's posts

Thank God for you guys!!  I feel so much better.  I bought a 2 pack hpt this morning and did one in the ladies room at the local coffee shop (with the 8 month old in her stroller staring at me the whole time) and it was negative.  I'll wait 3 more days and do another one 1st thing in the morning.  In my insanity I was actually a little down when the second line didn't appear on the stick.  Menopausal hormones maybe?  I'm having a glass of wine tonight.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Interesting...I actually wondered (and almost asked) if you were hoping you were pg since it was so highly unlikely for so many reasons.  Anyone not hoping to be pregnant probably wouldn't even have thought they could be.  

Anyway, that's neither here nor there. I'm sorry to hear you're not if you were hoping to be.  GL in 3 days!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from roneil68. Show roneil68's posts

Couldn't wait and did the second one first thing this morning and it was negative.  I'm so embarrassed about posting to begin with now!  I think you may have hit the nail on the head Kargiver.  When I had my son 11 years ago I thought he was the last one and then having the baby last year was just so great, everything from the pregnancy to the delivery and she's such a good nurser and she's growing up too fast...  To have another one would be insane but I do admit that I might have been a little bit thrilled to have the second blue line appear on that stick this morning.  I thank you all again!