OT - Buying a Used Car

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

OT - Buying a Used Car

I hope you'll forgive my completely OT post, but this is the only place I can think of to ask 30 respectable people a question :o)

What have been your experiences with buying a used car and having a mechanic check it out?  First time I bought a car, they were totally cool with it and let me bring it to my mechanic.  Second time they said no.  I didn't like that one bit, but had a good feeling about the car, so I bought it anyway and it has been completely fine for 2 1/2 years.  Knock on wood!

We need to replace DH's car ASAP and I want to mentally prepare myself.  Should I put up more of a fight this time to have someone I trust look at it?  If it's a certified pre-owned, should I not worry about that as much?

Thank you!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Re: OT - Buying a Used Car

If it's a reputable dealer, certified, pre-owned, I wouldn't worry, especially if it is less than 3 years old and has low mileage.

Anything from a private party or a questionable sales lot, I would insist on having it inspected by your mechanic, however, you may have to bring him to the site.

Eta: they just had a massive recall, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, something about the passenger side airbags...so, watch your step.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks!  I'll try to find info on the recall(s).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

http://money.cnn.com/2013/04/11/news/toyota-honda-airbag-recall/index.html

They would have to fix it, of course, it's just something to be aware of.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Fram, I don't think ANY dealership should try to prevent you from, at your expense, having a mechanic look at it.  That being said, however, I agree with Robin - a certified pre-owned vehicle usually comes with a warranty and is being sold by a reputable dealer who doesn't want you to have problems.  I wouldn't pay or go through the hassle myself.

Sections
Shortcuts