OT - Good beach reads...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trigirl627. Show Trigirl627's posts

OT - Good beach reads...

DH and I are going to Mexico for a long weekend the first week in March. I need some good book recommendations. I usually read one on the plane on the way there, one on the way home and one or two in between, but I am TOTALLY out of the loop. I can't even remember the last time I was able to pick up a book, nevermind trying to find four or five to bring with me.

Recommendations???

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

Re: OT - Good beach reads...

Well, I know a lot of people liked The Lovely Bones, The Time Traveler's Wife, and I read A Thousand Splendid Suns last year which was good. ( I read the other two books but didn't love them as much as I hoped I was going to) I like Amy Tan a lot and am always a sucker for Jane Austen, I swear I could just read Pride & Prejudice over and over again.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from happy2bpg. Show happy2bpg's posts

When I do read it is usually "chick lit"!    I LOVE anything by Jane Green and have a bunch I can bring you to the meet up you want.  I also just read "My Most Excellent Year" by Steve Kruger and loved that.  Easy read, takes place in Boston.    I can bring that too ----- I love off-loading books so anyone that might be interested in any of the above, let me know.   :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

I tend to read thrillers and stuff by Stephen King.  Lately, I've been catching up on Dennis Lehane books.  He's the local guy that wrote Gone Baby Gone, Mystic River and Shutter Island.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunshinemrs. Show sunshinemrs's posts

For beach books -
    Jennifer Crusie - Faking It & Welcome to Temptation

Anything chick lit - I second the Jane Green recommendation

David Sedaris - Me Talk Prety One Day, Dress Your Family in Denim and Cordoroy (read this one on a plane and embarassed my husband by laughing out loud)

And I'm ashamed to admit this one but the Twilight Series - yes, there is a lot of teen angst and deep sighing and they are not the best written books I have ever read - but I couldn't put them down.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I finally got around to reading a couple of Emily Giffin books - Something Borrowed and Something Blue.  Really enjoyed them!!  And definitely good beach/vacation books.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

If, on vacation, you're in the mood to read about someone else's travels, Bill Bryson is awesome. He is funny, articulate, and amazingly astute about recognizing how his background and experience affect how he sees other cultures. I always laugh and laugh as I read his books.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

I used to love "chick lit" for my daily train ride into town.  Of course now all I read are pregnancy/baby books.  But going back to the chick lit, if you haven't read the books by Sophie Kinsella (author of the shopaholic series) grab some of those.  She is super funny and such a quick read because you don't want to put it down.  Highly entertaining!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from happy2bpg. Show happy2bpg's posts

I also read "Last Summer of You and Me" -- Ahh, forget the auther, but it's the same one who wrote the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series -- it was her first adult novel -- and I LOVED it.  Literally did not come off the beach all day, just sat and read and read and read...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I love Bill Bryson also, but I am SOOO glad I read his book on Australia on the way home from my honeymoon (in Australia), rather than on the way there. I probably never would have left the airport if I had read it first. (Australia has some of the deadliest wildlfe on the planet, which apparently everyone in Australia told him all about, with gusto, so he would mention it in his book). But his book about the Appalachian trail (the real one, not SC govenor's version) was awesome, and funny.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trigirl627. Show Trigirl627's posts

Wow! Awesome. Thanks everyone!! I can't wait to get my hands on some of these books.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Oh, I'm a little late, but I've read and loved:

Water for Elephants -- Sara Gruen (sp?) is the author, I think
    Bel Canto -- Ann Patchett (anything by her is excellent)
    Eat, Pray, Love -- Elizabeth Gilbert
    A Secret History -- Donna Tartt

I Was Told There'd Be Cake -- Sloane ... something.  Similar style to David Sedaris, just a 20-something woman.

People of the Book -- Geraldine Brooks; I really cannot recommend this one enough

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

If you're a politics junkie, my husband just finished "Game Change" about the 2008 election. It rips into everyone--the Clintons, the Edwards, the Palins, McCains, etc. My DH described it as "Us Weekly" for the election. He read it all in 2-3 days, just couldn't put it down.

Sections
Shortcuts