OT - Laptops

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

OT - Laptops

Good Morning!
    This is kind of on topic since I mostly use the laptop for storing and/or sharing photos of DD :o)

Does anyone know of a good web site for laptop info/suggestions?  I'm hoping to find something that says, if you need a laptop for everyday use, you need XYZ.  If you take a lot of photos, you need ABC.  I need a new laptop stat! 

Also, any advice on what to do with all of the photos I have saved on our current laptop?  External hardrive?  I have some saved on USBs, but would like to get them all in one place.

Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: OT - Laptops

Fra. we have several external harddrives and they work great to store photos and MP3's. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

This is going to be one of those that can spawn a lot of answers (I know if I were to ask our spam list at work, I would be instantly overwhelmed). It is going to be personal choice... I am surrounded by Apple geeks who reluctantly use windows (although our corporation allows us now to pick between macbooks and windows laptops, so we have a huge macbook population at work now). Apple products are better for artsy stuff and pictures/videos. Windows are more of a corporate standard and usually cheaper.  Just for storage... i probably would go the cheap route and also get like an external hard drive (we have a macbook at home and also set up an external hard drive for backup (when DH got the harddrive, it synced up with the mac for backup and can be set up to automatically sync up for backup). Since we use our laptops for work too, we like the mac more and willing to pay the extra cost of a macbook (but we also like the fact that mac base OS is unix and not that horrible DOS so it allows us to flip to command line easily when we need to, and it is simpler in my mind on the windows side than Windows).

As for our pictures and videos, we load up the ones we want to keep to an online site (we use smugmug) and my goal is to use their features to create a printed book each year for each child each year - I hope to get to at least age 16 or 18 for each of them so I will see if I can hold onto that. My sister used her mac to create our son's first year book and sent my family a printed copy of the book. (I am not good at following through with stuff like baby books or scrap books, but as long as I load up the month's pictures into smugmug, I can just sit down for a few hours once a year and create a book of the past year and that is less daunting to me than scrap books).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I just got a Dell Inspiron for the very purposes you list, Fram.  So far I like it. It's Windows 7.  I'm NOT a tech person, so I don't know the differences between all the laptops, but so far I'm happy with it.  It has a nice sized keyboard, which is important to me. I will say - it's a little heavy. If you want something easy to grab and cart around, you may want to consider a tablet of some kind. We got it at Costco, I think (either there or BJ's... DH ordered it). 

We have used external hard drives to store all our info, and I will put all of my pics on this laptop then also upload them to an online site for additional safety.

Good luck with your decision! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks for the info so far!  I'm not much of a tech person, so I'll stick with a PC.  I don't plan on carting it around, so I'm hoping to get one with a large-ish screen.  Some look so tiny these days! 

I'm just not sure how many GB of memory I need, which processor is best, etc.  I know enough to know that I need to ask those questions... but not much more than that!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Fra, you definitely want a dual core processor. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Macs are impervious to viruses, spyware, malware, and the like. They are intuitive to use so anyone can pick one up and use it, even "pc people." and, they are particularly good with artsy stuff like photos, the overwhelming choice for Mass Art students; I had a friend who went there and everyone I saw had macs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

This information is outdated (by 2 years), but when I bought mine, this is the advice I was given:

Get a solid state hard drive or at least 7200RPM. For a lot of photos/videos, you'll want a good amount of storage, but you can buy external hard drives, but remember to keep them turned off most of the time. (If left on, they can break.) RAM makes the laptop fast and you want 4GB at least. It's good to have 256MB of dedicated video memory because it won't slow everything else down.

I was looking for a PC. There is a lot less choice involved if you want to go the Apple route, since there are only a handful of product options. It makes a lot more sense than a PC if you already have other Apple products because they sync really well. Of course, there are other ways to do that (through Google and the like), so you can pick your poison.

Macs used to be pretty much virus-proof because they weren't all that popular, so there was no incentive for viruses to be written to target them. It's nothing special about the products themselves. I highly doubt that will stay the same (if it hasn't changed already), because the products are taking over the market. Viruses and malware are intended to target the highest number of devices and I wouldn't be surprised if the number of Apple-based products is starting to outpace Windows-based ones.

Good luck!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's true, macs are technically vulnerable, but they have been saying "any day now" for 15+ years so I'm making an assumption that I shouldn't have presented as fact.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

Well, 15 years ago, having a Mac made someone the exception, rather than the rule. I only had one friend in high school/college with one. That was up until maybe 5 years ago. Now, I'm the only person in my circle of friends who doesn't own an internet-enabled Apple product of some kind.

I'd be floored if there aren't people out there trying to build malware to attack iPhones, iPads, etc. People use them for everything (banking, etc.) without giving it a second thought.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

Toshiba laptops hold up well, the adapter/charger does tend to conk out though. 

Linux operating system...takes some getting used to but more programs out there than you can shake a stick at.

Definitely external drive for storage.  If something is life-or-death important, get two and leave one at a friend's house.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

http://www.komando.com/buyguide/
    If you can ignore the advertisements, I have found helpful info at this site.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks everyone! I was able to pull bits and pieces out of your replies.

Robin - Thank you for sharing that site; it has exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

One of you may know the answer to this question (Winter?) - What is the newer/better processer - 2nd generation or 3rd generation Intel Core i5?  You would think 3rd generation would be newest, but from poking around on the web, it looks like 2nd is.  Confusing!

I'm finding that a lot of laptops have glossy screens these days - annoying!  (I'm sure that is not the technical term :o)

Hoping I can a) post this and b) actually get back here to read replies!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

You're welcome, FWIW, I've always had luck with buying laptops from Radio Shack, just because they take the time to explain things and walk me through it.
    Oh and I spring for the maintenance plan now, if you've ever spilled a glass of liquid on your keyboard, you know why! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Hey... I am a tech person, and even I don't care to know all the ins and outs of my laptop. For my home laptop, I use it primarily for internet surfing and pictures. I knew I liked HP laptops (what I use at work and my previous home laptop... so I would just pay attention to the BestBuy deals each week until I saw one in my price range. I paid $450 a few months ago and it is perfect.   I wanted to buy a "packaged deal" rather than go to the HP website and customize one.  I had done this in the past (both for myself and for a gift for my mom) and both times it ended up costing me way too much because I would sit and debate about whether to upgrade all the little features.  This time I set a dollar limit, had a few requirements (needed the SD card slot, a built in webcam, needed a CD drive, etc) and just got the best I could in that price range.  I did add on the MS Home Office package ($50 i think) because I like having Word, Powerpoint, and Excel.  I chose to get it through BestBuy vs an online site because I like to see what I'm getting first... feel the keys, get a feel for how big the keyboard is, see the screen, etc)

HTH!

Sections
Shortcuts