OT - The Mama Haircut/Mama Style

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

Re: OT - The Mama Haircut/Mama Style

I've struggled with this too- particularly as my hair has changed... but I don't have the face cut (I have a pudgy, round face) to pull off a shorter haircut. I wear it down at work, and then it does the mommy pony tail in the evenings/weekends...  I have started buying some cute hair clips for work, because it is so much thinner now.

however, we just bought our "backpack" carrier for DS... and as he tugged on my ponytail I began wondering the same thing...  good post (not really off topic!)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

I had let mey hair grow out when I was pg with DD.  It had gotten long - like waist length!  I got it hacked off when she was almost 3 months old, right before I went back to work (and donated it to locks of love).  I loved it!  It was a little below shoulder length and I got some bangs too. 

I was really looking after it for a while, but I've kind of stopped again and I'm also doing the ponytail thing.  I think I just need another cut (I haven't been to the salon since that cut - and that was in July!!) and I will feel better. 

I say go for it!  You can to grow it back if you want!  You can have long hair at any age!! :) 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Well, I cut my hair after becoming a housewife and getting a dog.  I cook a LOT and am often walking or playing with the dog, too.  So, it was always pulled back, made me feel frumpy (I'm 39), and it was giving me headaches.  I cut it short and have no regrets.  It's so light and easy!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Determine whether cutting it in a bob is going to require more work to get ready.  Long hair = ready in 2 seconds b/c you have the option of a ponytail.  Depending on the bob, if you need to style it, rather than air dry [I blow mine out every day to avoid frizz and need a bang trim every 3 weeks, plus cut every 6], it's more work to get ready in the AM. If you can just mousse, scrunch and go, then go for it.  A one length bob is easy to grow out - you just don't  get a haircut. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

I agree, it's a challenge!

WIth #1 I got a great, chin length asymetrical bob before I went back to work - my hair was in that awesome stage and it looked great!  Sometime before #1 I switched from my stylist of 11 years - just could not justify the trip any more and had to find someone local.  I was then all over the map about wanting it longer or shorter, and now, with #2 7mo old I am opting for longer, but its got shape to it.

I think whichever you choose, a good cut and frequent trims are key.  It seems counterintuitive, but if you make the time to keep your cut trimmed, I think it makes getting ready in the morning a LOT easier.  The one "me" thing I have not given up since pre-kid, pre-husband, pre-suburbs is a cut and color every 6-7 weeks.  I've had grey hair since my early 20's (I'm 39 now) and I'm just not ready to give into it yet!  I tidy cut is the side benefit

The biggest mama style challenge for me is clothing - finding time to shop, figuring out what fits my ever-changing figure over the past 4 years - between pregnancy and nursing there is a lot of changes in size and shape, being able to figure out what is stylish and age appropriate, time to shop to find all of the above, and not spend too much money that could be spent on something for the kids.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Jack: "You're going to want to get a very short haircut. Resist that urge."

I definitely turned into one of those windbreaker/hoodie, loose-fit jeans, cross trainers, short haircuts after I had the baby. I'm slowly transforming back. I found it's easier to pull longer hair up than try to deal with shorter hair flopping all over the place. Also, guys like long hair.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

I have a bit of an opposite problem. I had a chin-length bob for years with my stick-straight, baby-fine hair. Post-partum, the texture of my hair totally changed. It's now pretty wavy and slightly frizzy. The bob just wouldn't do anymore, so I've grown it into a shoulder-length, layered cut. It is easy to throw some mousse in it and go. But, I miss my old hair everyday. I am 18 months post-partum at this point, so I think this is permanent, unless it changes back after #2 gets here in Spetember. 

As far as keeping style "fresh", I find myself gravitating toward different things than I did pre-baby. I am much more into accessories like great jewelry and scarves, and really fun shoes. They aren't as size-dependent as clothes so it's easier to work with them with new new post-baby, and now pre-baby, body. Plus, I can always find the time to order lots of basics online. So, it helps to keep the occasional shopping trip focused on the fun stuff. The other thing I've done, too, is make regular mani/pedi appoints, especially during the summer. It is some great "me" time and always makes me feel more pulled-together and polished overall.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I was JUST having this conversation with DH yesterday!  DD has majorly discovered my hair and is obsessed with grabbing it whenever there's even a little piece hanging down (its' about 3 inches longer than shoulder-length).  So not only do I wear a ponytail, but since it is a bit layered in front a ponytail doesn't hold it all back so I typically put it all up on top of my head and end up looking like Pebbles Flintstone most of the time.  Not attractive.

It also tends to be frizzy, and now it's thin because it's all falling out (which I hope stops soon!!), so when I let it air-dry it really is not attractive, but I don't have time to blow dry.  It's always scary to spend a very busy day at work and around 3pm finally glimpse myself in a mirror and see what I look like!!  If anyone knows of any magic hair product that makes frizzy hair look nice, please let me know.

Like others have said, i do think it makes a big difference to get frequent trims and I also find that highlights improve the texture of my hair, making it easier to work with.

Canuk - I also struggle with clothing.  When I'm at home, I usually wear the same yoga pants and long gray sweater.  My poor DH.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I have a short layered cut that I just toss wiht mouse and go.  Super easy, always out of my face, and DH got used to it. :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

You can try this to combat frizz:

Sleek & Shine Smoothing Milk

It isn't pricey, so it may be worth a shot.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

The John Frieda anti-frizz products work. I was at my wit's end after we moved to DC.  I discovered this product line and am thrilled.  You can get it just about anywhere.  If this stuff can handle southern heat, it will definitely cure your frizz in Boston.  Using a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner helps too. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

I think it totally depends on your hair type.

I've got insanely thick hair, that I have to keep longer, shoulder length is the shortest I can take it, or else it will poof and frizz so much that I won't be able to fit through a standard doorway.

So, I keep it long, nice when I don't have time to dry it (have to let it air dry for 2 hours, then it's a 25 min blow dry-if not, I'd be drying my hair for a full hour).  Benefits of long hair in the summer, pull it back when it's hot out!

I don't know how I'll ever do the older lady short hair cut. Too much work!

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I could schedule frequent cuts. It's officially been 6 months since my last cut!  But this thread made me schedule an apt! yay! me time!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

I had my hair at an asymetrical bob whe DD was born.  I has since let it grow out as it was sooo much easier just to throw it up.   The only issue is, I got into a funk and never did it and then started to dress frumpy all the time and being pregnant again did not help the way I was feeling, so just a few weeks ago, I cut it all off again and feel 100% better.  Yes, having short hair takes more time because you cant just get up and out of the house in minutes, but I feel so much better about myself and even dressin a little better out of my sweats and hoodies which are my favorite.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

For keeping frizz down, NOTHING beats Moroccan Oil Shampoo & Conditioner. It's expensive, but a little goes a long way.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I had trouble with this whole thing too.  I had hair that went below my waist, long, thick and very curly. My hair was kind of crazy and poufy and frizzy with curls but it was mine and I was used to it and knew how to deal with it and style it and take care of it.  Then, during the pregnancy, the curls just ended.  This was kind of a blow to my self-image, even more than any of the bodily effects of gestating or breastfeeding, because I hadn't been expecting it and I loved my hair. 
    I cut it short and went from bum-length uber-curly, free-loving hippie hair to a straight, chin-length corporatemom bob.  That was fine for a while. 
    Now that I've weaned, my curls are coming back, albeit not as thickly as they had been before.  I"m letting my hair grow back out.  We'll see how it goes.  I do like having it long enough to tie it back, especially for the summer. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

So I am going to get my hair cut this week and this post got me thinking.  Last time I got it cut I went with the Meg Ryan You've Got Mail look.  This time I am thinking of going a little shorter but same look.  I like the little flips on the ends and find with my fine hair I get more volume when it is shorter.  Plus the longest it ever grew in my life was in high school and it was just barely below my shoulders!

I have also found that with shorter hair I can dry it faster (long or short I have always had to blowdry) and with a little mousse or gel its pretty manageable and easy.

Thanks for the John Frieda and frizz recs!  With summer coming I'm going to need something! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

KAM - definitely schedule them... figure out what time of day works best for your family and get it on the calendar.... it's the only way I'd ever go

Oh, Yoga pants and hoodies, how I love thee... if only you were appropriate for the office!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from roneil68. Show roneil68's posts

Went through the same thing.  I cut it back in 2 stages.  First time went with a layered bob that was a little longer in front than the back.  Now I just got a shorter layered bob that I really like.  If I have the time to blow dry it out & straighten it it looks polished for work.  When I'm home I throw in some Glass and tuck the curls behind my ears.  My old long hair wasn't working for me anymore.  It was hard to get that first cut because I knew I'd never grow it out again but I'm happy I ended up doing it.

Sections
Shortcuts