OT - Weight Loss Apps vs. Online Trackers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

OT - Weight Loss Apps vs. Online Trackers

I'm in the game to lose 15 lbs. I lost this same 15 lbs. pre-wedding using My Food Diary, and I'm back on a one week trial with MFD, which ends today.

I really like the food tracker function in MFD, and how you get rewarded with smilies when you hit various benchmarks (like water consumption, eating enough Vitamin A, C, Iron, Calcium etc.) and you can also see exactly where you went wrong with each food item in the detailed graph page.  

However, the forum is not anywhere near as good as it used to be, lots of older women and infrequent postings - so that extra motivational push is not there so that value is not relavant in comparing on line services, vs. apps.

I'm paying $9 a month for the service, and I'm wondering if there is a better/similar App out there that you really like and recommend that would be similar, but less expensive and/or somehow better.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Re: OT - Weight Loss Apps vs. Online Trackers

Somebody on here had recommended the lose it app, and it sounds like it's very similar to the website you mention and it's free.  Check it out.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

I have been on the weigh loss kick too.  I use My fitness pal app.  Its free!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I just discovered that if you sub shredded steamed cabbage for pasta in a baked pasta dish (like baked mac and cheese) it makes a great mock version!  If you're doing the low carb thing it fits in perfectly.  And, if not, it's lower in calories than the pasta version, anyway.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

I've been using the LoseIt app (free version) and it's helped me lose 10 lbs since Sept. I'm 3 lbs away from pre-baby weight and only 8 from my goal! I have to say, though, I'm pretty minimal about it. I use it to log calorie consumption, exercise, and weight, and that's enough to keep me on track. Part of why I like it is that it is SO easy to log stuff compared to a couple other free apps that I tried. I'm not sure how much of the other stuff you mention is included, but it gets pretty high ratings!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from crackersandcheese. Show crackersandcheese's posts

I second MyFitnessPal. It's free and the food log feature is super easy to use. I've yet to search for a food and not been able to find it - even from restaurants.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

I love the LoseIt! app... been using it on and off for years.  Used it for losing 10lbs before my wedding, 5-10lbs periodically when going off the wagon, and 15lbs after the baby.  It is super convienent, free, and gives immediate feedback through out the day.  Helps me to evaluate my choices as I go and to be strategic (ie.  I really want my afternoon latte, so I will pass on the bagel in the morning).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

i use loseit also, and i have a fitbit (pedometer) that automatically tracks calories burned and inputs to loseit.  love them both!  they were working great for me until i got PG again and started gaining weight, not losing!  ;)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks to your recommendations I'm on loseit, too, and I LOVE it - yay, thanks!  I've always counted calories, but it was never this easy or fun.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Sorry, just had to brag a bit -- I weighed myself this morning and I'm a half pound UNDER my pre-pg weight! Now, knowing how much my weight varies (or maybe how much my scale sucks), I could weigh myself again tomorrow and be up 3 lbs, but it's a definite downward trend. Only 4.5 lbs to my goal!

GL to everyone else trying to lose. I was stuck for several months and it just started working for me when DS was about 7 mos old. Stay positive!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Sorry, just had to brag a bit -- I weighed myself this morning and I'm a half pound UNDER my pre-pg weight! Now, knowing how much my weight varies (or maybe how much my scale sucks), I could weigh myself again tomorrow and be up 3 lbs, but it's a definite downward trend. Only 4.5 lbs to my goal!

GL to everyone else trying to lose. I was stuck for several months and it just started working for me when DS was about 7 mos old. Stay positive!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Um, sorry for the triple post. I wasn't trying to brag THAT much :-), and thanks to the new BDC format I can't delete. Nice.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

LOL, Aracain - congrats!!  

I, too, have lost 4.5 lbs since joining LoseIt!  It's sooooo easy to resist mindless snacking or overindulging in a meal when you have to enter every bite, lol.  I have 5.5 lbs to go and for the first time in ages I feel like I can and will do it by the date it predicts which is pre-Christmas!  Usually by then I'm well on my way to gaining my Winter 10 lbs that I have to lose the next Spring/Summer.  I'm done with that cycle, and LoseIt was my turning point of success.  Thanks to everyone who spoke highly of it!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Another thanks for the LoseIt recommendation. I find it both incredibly easy and super helpful.

I just wanted to give a heads-up that Groupon has a current deal for Get In Shape for Women. You can get 8 group sessions and 2 nutrition consults for $99 or 13 and 2 for $149. It's not available at every location, but at about 40 in the greater Boston area.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

measured everything and logged for TG and got to reward myself by entering a half pound loss this morning!  Woo hoo - go LoseIt!!  It's so easy it's practically like rubbing your iPad on your gut and, poof, making it disappear.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I am currently doing the Loseit! too. I am amazed, how easy it is and how well it works.

I noticed several posters are on it as well, so I started a new thread: Looseit! up in the Confidential Chat. Hope you will join us there.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

ThanksTHankshanks, Pingo!  I'll be joining you there. :)  I just walked so I can eat dinner, lol.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Omg, the autocorrect is out of control!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Since my first post in this thread I've lost 9 1/2 lbs and can easily zip up my wedding gown, my ultimate goal!

It's all due to LoseIt, and I can't thank you guys enough for recommending an online calorie tool.  It's never been this easy even though I've counted calories before.

Thank you!!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Congrats Kar!  that is awesome, and in the middle of the holiday season!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, boston!!  The thing I love about it most is the weekly budget view.  I have over indulged here and there because of the holidays, but it shows me how to account for it in a glance so I can stay the course AND enjoy the season.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Congrats Kar - that felt like it happened really fast! You must have been working hard.

Meanwhile, I cannot wait to have a phone that will allow me to try this! MFD was too cumbersome and the forums were crappy and uninspring. I lost 4 lbs. before I stopped counting for the holidays, I am really looking forward to getting back on track in January.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, ml, yes, it felt instantaneous.  I had lost 5 lbs over the course of the year until I joined LoseIt Nov 11, and here I am at my goal 5 weeks later.  I did work hard, I guess, but honestly, it was more like a game keeping to my budget, planning ahead, and measuring and logging my food and activity.  It didn't really FEEL hard.  On days I knew I'd go over I exercised more and also knew I could account for any I still went over budget over the next few days so I never felt out of control or like I'd done irreparable damage (feeling that way is what has historically done me in from Thanksgiving to New Year's leading to a significant gain).

I've got an iPad so it's very convenient.  However, if you enjoy how LoseIt is formatted you can take a look at LoseIt.com - you can do it from any browser.  Pingo is using it that way and has lost almost 10 lbs, too, since we started together.

If you lost 4 by tracking once, you know you can get on that train, again, whenever you want and have the same success.  Yay!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Anyone still in LoseIt or other online tracker?  We are still going strong up in the LoseIt thread in CC, and all are welcome no matter what calorie program you're using (doesn't have to be LoseIt). It's me, Pingo, and allreadymarried right now and all at different points.  Allready is getting more and more into it, logging progressively more consistently, aiming for 100%.  Pingo has lost 11 lbs and is logging faithfully with 20 (I think) to go and is very encouraged by how easy she's found it for tracking everything.  I've lost 16 lbs and am still logging everything trying to find my actual maintenance budget.  It started me off at 1650 when I hit my loss goal, and I'm still losing (slowly) at 1850 so I'm about to bump it up, again, by 50 calories to 1900...a feast or so it seems to me.

So, you're all caught up...see you up there!

Sections
Shortcuts