OT - Weight Loss Apps vs. Online Trackers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Re: OT - Weight Loss Apps vs. Online Trackers

Hi Kar, yes I'm sticking with it, down the same 6lbs. I've lost about 3 times this year so I am trying to build upon it. I do find it motivating and so easy to track with a device right in my hands. I'm surprised how often I look up a food and decide it's not worth eating.

I'm not posting much these days, not too much to say, but I'll try and check out the CC thread!

P.S. Great job on reaching goal and figuring out maintenance!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

ml, congrats on keeping those 6 off - I consider not regaining lost weight a success even if you want to lose more.  I, too, often look up food and say no; that kind of constant mindfulness is this program's greatest assets for me.  It IS so easy, isn't it?  The diet industry has brainwashed people to think counting calories is "too hard."  It's the least restrictive, easiest way to lose or maintain weight there is imo; no rules, just numbers.

thanks!  I'm really psyched.  Not sure I have maintenance totally figured out - still bumping up the budget slowly to find that magic number.  But, I do have condifidence I'll have it nailed down by summer, and I plan to log the whole year to solidify what consistently eating that budget feels like.  I don't really have a feel for it yet, just going purely by the numbers right now until I'm trained. :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

For anyone counting calories... the method that also is working for me to lose 10 lbs (and counting) in about 4 months (as well as working out more often), I just made a really great lunch that is under 300 calories.  Figured I'd share as I'm always looking for something interesting and different that is low cal.

Tuna (1/2 can - 60 cals)

Moe's Guacamole (single serving size sold at BJs - 100 cals - probably the best guac I've had)

English Muffin (either light or whole grain - 100-120 cals, depending on brand)

1-2 TBSP Parm Cheese (25 cals)

Mix Tuna and Guac.  Stack on each side of muffin.  Sprinkle cheese on top.  Toast 3-4 mins.  This makes a really amazing open-faced tuna melt that has tons of healthy good stuff in it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Awesome work with the 10 lbs, IPW!  I lovvvve tuna and all those flavors - thanks, I'll definitely put that on the lunch rotation.  Do they sell their guac to take home at Moe's?  I pass a Moe's every Monday in my routine.

10 lbs is a lot especially when you think about it representing 35,000 calories less than your body burned in 4 months.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Kar... funny... I had no idea there was a Moe's!  Just a brand I found at BJs - and I love the single serving size so it doesn't get brown once opened.  If there is an actual Moe's... worth checking out.

I will say that the one thing that has helped me tremendously is finally having time to work out.  I started a new job last November, where I now work at home.  Cutting the 3 hours of commuting time out of my daily life has played a huge part in me being able to not only eat less calories... but burn some of them too 4-5 days a week. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

That sandwich sounds delicious, IPW. I will definitely be trying it soon. 

I am hoping to lose 5-10 lbs by the summer. I've been doing LoseIt for a few days and have managed to keep up with it so far, although its honestly been tough to find the time to log while taking care of the kids. Thank goodness for the iPhone app. If anything else it's kept me accountable and made me aware of just how many little bites and tastes I had of kids food during the day, definitely going to stop that. 

My one beef with LoseIt is that it doesn't have a way for me to log the fast that I am Breastfeeding. Anyone have any ideas for an easy way to account for this? Should I just enter it in as exercise each day?  I'm one of those people who have a hard time losing weight while breastfeeding - with my first DD I lost (and kept off) 5lbs after I weaned her when she was a year old so I imagine my hormones are a little off but I want to at least try to lose a few lbs now. If things go as I plan I won't be weaning DD2 until July but hopefully I can lose a few before the summer comes so I can fit into my summer clothes! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

LOL, IPW, re Moe's!  And, definitely, exercise makes a huge difference in the calories/energy equation.  That's great you can work it in, now.

rama, yes, you can adjust your budget manually to account for bf'ing.  Go into Goals, budget, and increase it by 250 - 300 calories.  It might take some experimentation; if you log everything accurately it will be easy to figure out adjustments as necessary.

I have it easy, really, because my day is essentially my own - I have time to measure and log everything, and I walk the dog ~4 miles a day.  I don't know how well I'd be doing if I worked and had kids!  Best to you guys as you work to take care of yourselves, too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

I know how well you'd be doing Kar, about as well as me! I've gained back 2lbs. of the six I lost! too many working lunches lately. It's all about logging! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, if I didn't have my day to myself I would find it a struggle to say the least.  On days I spend with my BFF and her 4 kids (3 babies), I don't log anything until I get home - no time at her house!

too bad about the 2 lbs, ml, but easily remedied with logging to make up for all the overages at lunch.  Just a 200 calorie deficit a day will take that off in 2 or 3 weeks.  For me, that would be a hearty 1750 calories.