OT- what to do with spiders?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

OT- what to do with spiders?

We have a huge spider issue which has recently gotten scary with DS (Who is 13 months, walking, and interested in things that move). We have spiders everywhere- They have been since we moved into our house, but seem to have gotten worse this year? We have them inside our house, outside (how they create webs between DH and my cars over night is beyond me), and this past week I found a huge one in my car.  I understand that for the most part spiders are harmless and sometimes good things to have around (despite the ickiness). But IN my car?? huge looking thing- like the size of a halloween ring, and it crawled on me. ugh. Took me two days to find him, and when I did he was hovering (via his web- I can’t make this stuff up!) over DS’s carseat (he wasn’t in it).

Should I be worried. Is this my house or is all of Boston covered with them? Should I kill them… leave them be? My brother was bitten by a brown recluse in childhood… so I worry but maybe I shouldn’t?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Re: OT- what to do with spiders?

We have tons of spiders too.  In particular we have nursery web spiders which are just mammoth in terms of spiders.  Shortly after we moved in a couple years ago, there was one on the baseboard in the downstairs bathroom and I am not exaggerating--it was about 1 1/2 - 2 inches in diameter (I haven't seen any that big since).  DH retrieved it in a cup and released it outdoors.  From what I've read, they're harmless, but I had the heebee jeebies for days after that.

IN GENERAL, we do live capture and release (of any bugs) if they're in an area where the kids are likely to be.  We've drilled it into our kids' heads (they're 2 now) that bugs are fun to watch, but we NEVER touch spiders or other bugs unless an adult tells them it's ok.  If I see a spider up high on a wall or on the ceiling or in an area where the kids are unlikely to be any time soon, I generally just leave it alone.  For the most part, I'd rather have spiders around than other bugs, so I tolerate them within reason--assuring myself that they're keeping other bugs at-bay.

As far as spiders in the car, I had a nerve-wracking incident while I was still pregnant.  I was driving on I-95 N on my way home from somewhere.  It was a nice sunny day.  Out of the corner of my eye, I catch a glimpse of something moving along the ceiling just above the top of the windshield and kind of over the steering wheel.  It's a medium-sized spider.  So, I am driving at highway speed, in one of the middle lanes, and trying to keep an eye on this spider which I was sure was going to jump on me at any second.  I was completely freaking out.  I managed to get all the way right as it dropped down to the dashboard right in front of me.  I'm sitting there, alone in my car, driving, saying holy f---, holy f---, holy f---.  I manage to get off at the next exit, pull over...and I can't find it anywhere.  I had the creepy crawlies all the way home, convinced that it was crawling on me somewhere.  I've never been so happy to get out of a car as I was when I got home after that.  And I wouldn't go back in that car for a few days afterwards.  :)

So...yeah...I don't know if that was helpful or not, but  you're not alone with a spider problem.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

Daisy- I am laughing out loud- had the same problem with the car the other day- except DS was with me, it was raining, and I was on my way to work so it was still dark! Ack!! I was so worried it was going to crawl all over DS.

but my normal way of dealing with them is just to leave them- so that makes me feel a bit better that others are doing that too. I don't want to run around trying to kill them all and I think in general they are good to have, but am not sure how to pick out the ones that bite.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Glue traps. Tomcat makes some good ones. We have ginormous crickets in our storage space and in the back yard.  Granted, things grow bigger down south, but it freaks me out.  It's also really annoying to try to go to sleep and to have 5 crickets in different parts of the house serenading you. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, yeah, I have to second ALF's recommendations for glue traps.  You can slip them under stuff like the oven and fridge and not worry about pets or kids, but they nab the spiders like mad.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Krystabel. Show Krystabel's posts

LOL - I love this post!  Too funny, because I can totally relate.

A year ago I was driving in my car and had a similar experience to Daisy ... I actually called my cousin to keep me calm until I could pull over.

I am not sure what to tell you, our solution is not really a good one unless you are already planning a renovation.  We used to have TONS of spiders, huge creepy ones that hopped (the hopping ones are the worst in my opinion cause they are fast and seem unpredictable).  4 years ago we did a major renovation and leveled the second floor, and did a lot on the first floor including all new insulation, siding, roof and all new windows... since then we've had hardly any bugs at all and when I do see a spider it is usually pretty small.  It was a nice and unplanned benefit of the renovation.  I am sure it is because the house is sealed and insulated so much better now.  The windows we replaced you could feel a good breeze when you walked by them!

As for killing vs live capture.. My feeling is if a bug (except for mosquitos - those sould be squashed either way) are outside, they should live - that's their home ... if they come in my house their days are numbered.  That being said - I do let the small spiders live, hoping that they will get any other bugs that come in.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

Check to see if you've got ants or silverfish or something in the house because the spiders must be eating something.  We have a pest control service and the fellow told us that generally inside spiders stay in and outside spiders stay out so they are different issues.  If you've got a lot of spiders you may need to do something to get rid of what they are eating.

We have some kind of orb weaver that manages to make a spiderweb from the eaves of the house to the top and bottom of the freestanding basketball hoop (!) six feet away (!) and it's very cool to watch it spin the web, if you notice that it's there and don't walk into it. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Other than the silverfish advice (silverfish are pretty much the only creepy crawly thing that freaks me out, but they freak me out A LOT!) purplecow gave I don't have much advice.  It is true that for them to be that big they must be eating a lot of something!

I probably don't have much advice because I'm not  bothered by spiders at all.  We have a lot of those jumpy spiders at our house.  My daughter is very curious but we haven't had any trouble.  They jump away from her because she is a terrifying giant to them.  Now that she's older we've had the talk that we don't hurt spiders because they eat mosquitos (she had a huge vendetta against mosquitos and will now yell at her father to leave spiders alone so they will eat the mosquitos). 
    In my house, I'm the lady who does all the catch and release.  My husband is the one who points and whimpers at the offending arachnid. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I agree with Krysta...if the bug is in my home, its days are numbered.  We bought our home in December and I have seen 2 house centipedes...these are nasty looking creatures and they are fast.  My son tried to catch one and it went under his dresser. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

totally - i have a no-bug policy in the home, punishable by death!