OT - Work Question

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hito. Show hito's posts

Re: OT - Work Question

To me- doing what you did is best.  Buying them a beer is trying to buy them.  Be honest that you screwed up, take ownership for your mistake and say you are sorry.  Seems simple, but very few people actually say I messed up - I'm sorry.  Most try to simply CTA.

And a huge one - don't do it again.

If you are sincere, they will understand and appreciate.  We all screw up.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

To be honest, I would be pleased as punch that you handled it the way you did. It's much more frustrating to have a team member make a mistake and then try to blame everyone else instead of taking responsibility. We all make mistakes. It happens and most people understand that.

If you really think you need to make a goodwill gesture, would buying lunch (a few pizzas or something) one day be a reasonable idea? Whatever you think would be low-key, but thoughtful.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I agree that owning up to it is nice in itself.  One thing I would advise is not to put yourself down no matter what.  (Not saying you would.)  We all make mistakes, but work isn't the place for putting yourself down.  It just makes you look so bad.
    If you want to bring in food, you could also do breakfast stuff (like coffee and muffins or whatever).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Krystabel. Show Krystabel's posts

I agree with above - owning up to it is the major thing.  I think the best way to recover is to show them you won't do it again.  Just work hard and get done what needs to get done.  I don't think food or beer is necessary and if I worked with someone that is a slacker food would not convince me to like the person or want to work with them.  I am not saying you are, I am just saying that it wouldn't really make a different to me.  I think getting your work done and proving reliable moving forward is the best fix.

Good luck and don't be too hard on yourself. Everyone makes mistakes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

i agree with fram - don't put yourself down - and don't keep apologizing either.  i just went to a seminar by a woman who gives career advice to women and she advises being more like a man - i.e. NOT apologizing!  ha.  anyway - move on and stay confident as much as possible - fake it if you have to.  i wouldn't bring food in b/c that seems kind of "domestic" and to me is kind of like yet another apology (but i come from a male-dominated business environment so i probably have a skewed opinion on that front). 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

you guys are so right, I'm overthinking this and making it worse. I apologized, I'm doing my best moving forward and that's it!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

Although my environment is different in that we don't have strict deadlines most of the time, but we have had screwups of different nature - and usually we own up to it most of the time. For cases where it had noticable user impact, we usually do a post mortem on what went wrong and what needs to change next time, then move on. My team knows that things happen and at some point, each of us is going to have done something that impacts our environment - so we just try to learn from each experience and go forward.

And I tend to use we a lot because my team tends to present unified front on issues then sort out internal issues and processes. (for instance, instead of telling users "joe from my team hit the button that caused our critical server to go down", one of us will say "we accidentally powered down the server and are working to restore the server. we apologize for any inconvenience" then work within the team to figure out how it happened).

But it is going to depend on the company and your work environment - mine is such that folks understand things happen, and usually prefer to see that steps are taken to try to avoid repeating that situation than in the blame game.

I know it is hard to get away from the guilty feeling - but with time, that will fade, and if you are typically very reliable and good in what you do, people tend to forget over time, and if you put in steps that may help prevent this again, then it will usually blow over.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

You did the right thing, ml.  No need to aplogize further, or feed the group.  Please let yourself off the hook.

There is a quote that my mother keeps on her desk at work.  I dont know the whole thing, but the beginning really speaks to me on bad days...

"Finish each day and be done with it.  You have done all you could."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I agree with all the others.  Owning up, apologizing and moving on is the absolute BEST thing you could have done.  Adding anything else to "make up for it" would be well-meaning, but unprofessional, unnecessary, and would detract from your already perfect response.

Everyone makes mistakes.  Not every assignment is done perfectly or on time by anyone at any management or experience level, and I hope you won't define your career by this moment, but instead by the fact that you are usually SO GREAT at your job that the fact that you didn't accomplish what needed to be done exactly as it was expected is so crushing to you.  If you failed to make deadlines and produce quality work fairly often, you'd not think twice about it this time. 

And, I hope you can move on with your head held high.  Mistakes happen, and you handled this one with professionalism and a high degree of personal responsibility which is so rare today, I think.  Who could have done better than that?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

I agree with everyone else.  I think you owning up to it is the best thing you could do. It is so frustrating when someone doesn't own up to what they did and/or tries to come up with excuses or blame others.  Mistakes happen and you took responsibility. Feel guilty for a little while then move on.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Totally agree with everyone.  Let yourself off the hook. If you are anything like me I obsess incessantly about my mistakes - not productive!  We could definitely learn from our male counterparts!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I love the way you handled it.  I think humble acknowledgement and initial apologies works best in a work environment. 

I find when a colleague has disappointed me I get over it much more quickly if he or she does the initial apologies/acknowledgements, then just gets on with work and doesn't mention it again.  The more quickly they see you becoming the person they can trust and respect again, the more quickly you'll earn back everyone's trust and respect, if that makes sense... as opposed to trying to convince them with continued apologies or with food/drink. 

Also, wanted to say I'm sorry you're dealing with this!  This has happened to me as well and it just s*cks.  Sometime very soon have a few beers/glasses of wine/cocktails with your DH or friends and watch a funny movie (I recommend Bridesmaids, if you haven't seen it, although I doubt your DH will be interested...).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, giving them flowers, food, or other gifts other than the gift of taking responsibility and moving forward is almost like a bribe for forgiveness.  That's what makes it unprofessional imo.  People will forgive you simply for stepping up and saying you're sorry.

And, I was going to say what lil dared to - we should learn from the men on this one.  They apologize when they believe it's called for (and only then) and they move on happy to have learned whatever lessons they could from their mistakes, not self-flagellating and hiding in the bathroom crying (I know it's not just me!).  

Our mistakes are what cause the most growth in our lives.  Men tend to get that and embrace it, women tend to berate themselves mercilessly. Why?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

In Response to OT - Work Question:
    [QUOTE]This is totally off topic, but I just trust you guys and it's not something I can ask many people. I really screwed something up at work, a blew a big visable deadline and the bottom line is, I just didn't get the thing done on time. I'm trying to figure out how to pick myself up, dust myself up and make it up to my team. I apologized to them, I am doing better, I just feel horrible about it and it's sapping my confidence. I need a fresh start. If someone at work really made the team look bad, what could they do to make it up to you. Is it just acknowledging they screwed up, and praising all the good work they did on the project? Do I need to take everyone out for a beer? Bring in a massage at your desk person? Any other ideas?
    Posted by ml2620-2[/QUOTE]

Do what you did: acknowledge that you messed up and said it won't happen again.  Now prove it to them: that is going to mean working late, taking on extra work, dotting your Is and crossing your Ts.  Prove to them that you are dedicated to the team and then show them that you are through your actions. Probably not what you want to hear, but you do need to put in the extra time now.  Short lunches and skipping your summer vacation would be a good bet too.  Treating people at the office to lunch or a massage isn't going to cut it.  GL.

ETA: of course, I may be coming at this from a different perspective.  If I missed a deadline, I would be fired.  Missing a deadline in my field means I/we are open to legal liability and can be sued.  The only way to redeem oneself after that is to literally work your butt off, throw yourself into things, take on tons of extra work and keep your head down.  It would take about 6 months to come back and be trusted again after a major missed deadline in my field. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

ML - how's it going?  Are you feeling any better?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Thanks Poppy, I am in a much better frame of mind, but truth be told as much as ALF is right about putting in the extra time, cancelling vacations and working my behind off, truth be told I just miss DD so much after just a week of late nights and all night work sessions.  I know I am not as focused as I would have been two years ago.

It is what it is. I'm trying to recalibrate my work-life balance to create the extra effort I will need in the coming months at work, but my heart is not in it. Might be time for a change, and this was just the last straw.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Not to get all Freudian on you, but your last post makes me wonder if maybe you missed the deadline because this work just isn't for you anymore, and you didn't really want to put in what had to be done to make it.  If that's the case, yeah, time to start looking for something else before you hate it so much you can barely stand going in at all.  I know when I started hating my job I could barely force myself to do the minimum that had to be done.  My hours were flexible, and my arrival time started getting later and later, and I started hoping for a car accident (that wouldn't have been my fault, of course) on the way to work, too. 

GL as you consider your options.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

ML - I feel for you re: missing DD.  You do sound like you are ready for a change.  Your whole life has changed, after all!  Good luck with whatever you decide.