parent getaway?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

parent getaway?

I'm guessing many of you can relate to this: my DD is 11 months old, and since she's been born, I haven't been away from her for an overnight (DH has when I've gone on overnights to visit family and for a bachelor party).

We have been talking about doing an overnight away, but I'm torn since I already feel like my time with DD is so precious.  That said, I know I want some time alone with DH, and I know how important that is, so we're going to start off by doing a single overnight.  Leading to the question: suggestions for places to go for one night?  We were thinking Oqunquit, Portsmouth or Newport? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Re: parent getaway?

Oh, and we live in Boston, so we're thinking something within 2 hours or so.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

luv- we are in the same situation.  DD is 14 months and we haven't had any time away just the two of us since she was born.  We are finally taking the leap next month and heading up to Maine to celebrate our anniversary.  We are leaving DD with papa and nana and they are staying at our house to watch her.  We will be nervous for sure and will probably be checking on her every hour on the hour, but we feel like it is something that is important for us to spend some time away from the house and the day-to-day craziness. 

When choosing a place to go, neither of us were too keen on being a plane ride away, so we wanted something relatively close so we could get back easily if we had to.  We are going to the Samoset resort in Rockport Maine.  May be a little farther than you are looking to drive, but it looked nice to us.  Never been, so I can't comment from experience yet.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

What about someplace down the Cape?  Still beautiful this time of year and with much fewer tourists, it can be a perfect quiet overnight retreat.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Luv - funny you should post because I am freaking out because I am going away (hours away by plane) for a girls weekend in one week. This will be the first time I will be leaving her.  Now she will be with DH but I am worried I am going to miss her terribly!

Alas, although we can feel guilty because it is time away from our precious little ones (actually, I am starting to think that I can feel guilty about everything), I think that a weekend away with DH or my girls weekend will result in a refreshed mom!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KD183. Show KD183's posts

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the places you listed!  My husband and I just planned our 1st weekend gettaway and our son is 17 months.  It's hard to leave the little one!

Our favorite places to go are either Portsmouth or Newburyport.  Both have a decent amount of shopping and some great restaurants.  If you end up going to Portsmouth, I highly recommend Radici http://www.radicirestaurant.com/.

Have fun and enjoy!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

I totally feel the same way, but I am proud of you for making plans. At 13 months, I still not ready to leave her (heck, I hate that she sleeps in another room!)

I'd recommend Portsmouth or Ogunquit (or Newburyport!). They are about 60-90 minutes from Boston. Maybe it's because I am on the North Shore (next to Newburyport actually!), but I feel like Newport is SO far away. Beware that leaf peeping season is upon us!

In Newburyport, try Agave on State Street, or in Portsmouth, my favorites are Brazo (Latin) or Cafe Mirabelle (French), which is very unassuming and tiny. Go early and you can essentially have a private dinner.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jettagirl78. Show jettagirl78's posts

I can totally relate! Our first overnight was for a best friend's wedding down in Newport, RI when DS was about 9 months old.

I love all the places you have mentioned and you really can't go wrong with any of those choices, but for one night you may want to consider places even closer (as I found Newport to be too far!) like Salem! They have great B&B's or the Hawthorne Hotel is great as well. Lots of great restaurants, Finz, Grapevine, 62 on the Wharf...and there are lots of cute shops! I went to Salem State and I am amazed how hip Salem has become.

And you will be less than an hour away...

Have fun no matter where you decide! It is good to get away.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Funny, our first TWO night overnight is coming up end of October (Nantucket).  We've left her overnight once or twice before ... I can't believe I can't remember.  Both for weddings and she stays with MIL.  We were originally planning on Portland, but got a deal we couldn't pass up on Nantucket so we're going for it!!!

For one night, I'd probably head to Portsmouth -- less time in the car and a nice, straight shot from Boston. 

Have fun!  This is our first real getaway so I can't get all, "it's great, you'll be fine!" but even just having her with MIL for those nights we had weddings/outings, it was amazingly restorative. 

You'll still wake up at dawn, though, sorry.  But you get to stay in bed!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Thanks everyone!  I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who finds this hard.  We're going to look at the calendar tonight and make a plan...and reserve the grandparents for babysitting! 

I hadn't thought of an overnight in Salem...would have to wait until AFTER Halloween for that though!  And Portsmouth is looking more and more promising thanks to your recommendations. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jettagirl78. Show jettagirl78's posts

It is true October in Salem is crazy...but can be fun!!! : )

But hey, Portsmouth has The Friendly Toast! : )

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Hi.  figured I would bump this up to see how everyone's October getaways were?  I know there were a few of us that were taking the leap and leaving the LO behind for a night or two.  As for us, we went up to Maine at the end of October for 2 nights.  My in-laws stayed with DD and our dog at our house while we were gone.  We did indeed call to check in about every 3 hours, but it was great.  DD had so much fun getting spoiled by her grandparents I don't think she really realized we were gone!  We had a great time and it was so nice to reconnect with DH for our anniversary.  We actually went out to restaurants at 8:00pm!!  And had wine!  And didn't have to have a container of cheerios on hand at all times! And vegged out in the hotel room watching football and random mindless tv.  It was glorious!  Hope you all had fun trips away too if you ended up going away.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

That sounds great!  I'm glad you enjoyed your trip.
    I really, really want to go to a hotel.  I love hotels!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

We've still got two more weeks until our getaway.  Cannot wait!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sflint. Show sflint's posts

Northampton, MA is also a great town for a quick weekend getaway.  Fun shops, good restaurants, and charming Bed & Breakfasts - all within a 90 minute drive of Boston.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Nantucket was amazing.  We dropped DD with my MIL on Thursday night, and then she brought her back to us on Sunday afternoon.  Everyone did great -- we missed her just enough that we were glad to get home, and we enjoyed lots of time and Mr. & Mrs. GC, as opposed to Mommy & Daddy. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Redsoxfan76. Show Redsoxfan76's posts

I have been away from DD for one night when my DH went to see his family at their place in CT for a night. I had work to catch up on and we had just spent a week w/them so I wasn't too keen on it. It was terrible! I missed her like crazy. At the time she was about 5 mo.

But I'd also like to add, for anyone who hasn't planned a trip yet, Portland ME. My BIL and his family live there. It is amazing how many great restaurants there are there. And some fantastic little shops.

Also second Portsmouth. My DH and I did a weekend there a million years ago for our 2 year 'dating' anniversary. We had dinner at a great little place that has sadly since closed. But when looking for a place there was a good amount to choose from - I was surprised.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prwandover. Show Prwandover's posts

Portland, Maine!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dcruof. Show Dcruof's posts

Drive to New London, CT (less than 2 hrs). Take the ferry to Orient Point on Long Island. On the North Shore there are plenty of B&B's and dozen's of Vineyards! You can tour the vineyards, bring home some delicious award winning wines and be back the next morning.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Jackson is 3 hours north of Boston.  Misrepresentation of the drive does not make a good first impression.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If I owned a business I'd be extra careful about things like that.  I'd be less inclined to give someone my business that minimizes the time it takes to get there because it makes me wonder what else they've been less than 100% forthright about.  If you want to take offense, that's your prerogative, but you could take it as a word to the wise instead.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from HipHepcat. Show HipHepcat's posts

kargiver, you have no clue.  The link was not promoting my business whatsoever (If you had actually read my post, you would realize it was not my business link at all).  Just trying to be nice and reccomend something I thought was helpful. For you to use the word "misrepresentation" was wrong and unkind. No worries, I won't be bothering to check back on this thread....not a very friendly place.

23. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts