Picky Eater

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Re: Picky Eater

DS claims he's full after a few bites, but immediately wants some dessert! So, if he's done a good effort of eating, we let him have a little chocolate. If not, then we have the bite per age rule in our house. He can have three more bites of dinner then he can have dessert. If he was truly full he wouldn't want/finish dessert-he does walk away from dessert sometimes. But DS is 3 now.

At 18 mo it's tougher, all you can do is offer, offer small amounts, and repackage what doesn't end up on the floor. how is he eating during the day? he may be getting all his needed calories earlier in the day. our Pedi also says that dinner time is harder on kids since they've been away from the parents all day, so having them sit and behave is next to impossible. setting realistic expectations on everyone helps.

As for microwaving, we are not a microwave house, but I'll always make a little more then what they eat, then save for the next meal if they don't finish. So if you make the three meat balls and serve them one by one the remaining ones will keep in the fridge for a day or two with a quick reheat.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

IPW, I think in that family dinner thread that someone suggested if the timing doesn't work out to eat together, move the high chair (if you still use one) into the kitchen and you can cook or clean while chatting with the eating LO.  Togetherness of family dinner and chatting, but not focusing so much just on their eating.

Misslily - I like those ideas, the fast mac and cheese and the spinach littles!  Sometimes I feel like our most successful meals are just versions of bread and cheese (quesadillas, pizza).  I did have success the other night with a trader joe's veggie burger cut up (with a slice of cheese melted on top of course!)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Lily, great ideas.  My DS used to eat about half of a single serving of the mac n cheese from Kraft, or whomever makes those little single serving bowls.  It only takes 3 mins in microwave... so that has been good (but ended up in his lap last night).  

My only other issue besides my wasting food... is when I EAT his food.  I.e. that 3rd chicken nugget he isn't eating.  Why just put 1 in the fridge... into the mouth it goes.  That is why I needed to join a gym!

Medford... his highchair is on our kitchen right at our island, but I am going to back off a bit.  Give him more space.  See how he does.  As for bread items... if I could just serve dinner rolls for every meal... I think we'd be good :-)

KAM, daycare says he's their best eater!  Can't imagine they'd lie (although DH thinks they fib a bit)... but so hard to imagine given the grief I get.  He gets breakfast and lunch there 3 times a week.  So maybe you are right, he gets all he needs there and just wants to pick later.  Other two days my MIL will bend over backwards for him and would probably cook everything in her kitchen until he finally selected something.  I have no where near the patience (money, time...) for that... and that was not how I was raised.  After a certain age, I recall "it's what I made, or cereal" from my mom.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Picky Eater:
    ... and that was not how I was raised.  After a certain age, I recall "it's what I made, or cereal" from my mom.
    Posted by IPWBride

Me, either.  In fact, I didn't get the cereal option.  I got the "or go hungry" option (or I'd have eaten cereal every night).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

In Response to Re: Picky Eater:
    Lily, great ideas.  My DS used to eat about half of a single serving of the mac n cheese from Kraft, or whomever makes those little single serving bowls.  It only takes 3 mins in microwave... so that has been good (but ended up in his lap last night).   My only other issue besides my wasting food... is when I EAT his food.  I.e. that 3rd chicken nugget he isn't eating.  Why just put 1 in the fridge... into the mouth it goes.  That is why I needed to join a gym! Medford... his highchair is on our kitchen right at our island, but I am going to back off a bit.  Give him more space.  See how he does.  As for bread items... if I could just serve dinner rolls for every meal... I think we'd be good :-) KAM, daycare says he's their best eater!  Can't imagine they'd lie (although DH thinks they fib a bit)... but so hard to imagine given the grief I get.  He gets breakfast and lunch there 3 times a week.  So maybe you are right, he gets all he needs there and just wants to pick later.  Other two days my MIL will bend over backwards for him and would probably cook everything in her kitchen until he finally selected something.  I have no where near the patience (money, time...) for that... and that was not how I was raised.  After a certain age, I recall "it's what I made, or cereal" from my mom.
    Posted by IPWBride

He may very well eat better at daycare -- I remember reading somewhere that dinner is usually the "worst" meal of the day for kids.  Makese sense -- they're tired, they've been storing up all their little feelings for mommy/daddy and there's food to be thrown on the floor.  I've actually started sending more food to daycare b/c I think she eats better there as well -- could be peer pressure or just that she's hungrier midday, but I pack a TON of food and very little comes back (mostly cookies, oddly).  I give her more picky food at night -- hummus & whole grain crackers, peas, roasted veggies, some cheese & fruit. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Stay strong moms.  It does get better.  My DS is 11.5 and every now and then he doesn't want to eat what is offered.  I say to him, it's either this or you can make yourself a PB&J sandwich.  He's only made the sandwich once.  I think he wanted me to make it. 

I think you are all doing great. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Winter... thanks!  Such a nice thing to say :-)  Love this board!!

Last night he had 1/2 banana, all his yogurt and 10-12 animal crackers.  Not exactly the most balanced meal, but I can handle it!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I agree it is tough. DD is 3.5, and she is a great eater at daycare. But at home it is a different story - we went through a phase where she wouldn't eat any fruits or vegetables for us. At all. Even when I knew she ate them happily at daycare. When I would ask her why she wouldn't eat something at home that I knew she liked at daycare she point blank told me "I don't like it here." At 2.5! Made me want to tear out my hair. 

But it does get better. She eats more things here than she used to, and she will often try a bite or two and realize that she actually does like something, then eat it all. But it's still an uphill climb. Last night we had shepherd's pie with peas on the side. She ate 2 servings of the peas, but refused the shepherd's pie. She ate one bite. I ate the rest, because I didn't want to waste it, but I don't think my waistline needed it. I wound up giving her a cheese stick, because I wanted to make sure she got a little protein, so all our troubles aren't over, but I am very glad she ate the peas - a few months ago the whole meal would probably have been refused. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I've noticed recently with my DD, who is an exceptionally adventurous eater, that on days she's at daycare (she's with family 3 days and at daycare 2 days) she is much more annoying/controlling/demanding at dinner.  I think she is just at a stage (she's 3) where she is trying to control things because she has been at school all day and hasn't had much choice.  We give her small portions and if she doesn't eat, she doesn't eat.  We're a everyone-eats-the-same-thing family. Since I've noticed the pattern I've started to try to plan meals that are her favorites for the 2 days she is at daycare. 
    This week has been especially difficult because she had a nasty stomach bug last weekend and she's been thrown off all week and I'm more likely to give in to her unreasonable demands because I feel like she needs to make up for lost time/calories.  She loves oatmeal (plain old, unflavored, unsweetened oatmeal) made with milk and blueberries so I've heated some of that up for her a bunch of days this week. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from peppypeep. Show peppypeep's posts

My 7 month old is just starting to accept the spoon but is enjoying th earths best turkey cranberry stage 2.  I have a recipe book that I like - "Start Fresh" by Tyler Florence.  This is an item I recommend as for "Cool Kids" on my website.

I am a new Mom and started a website to help other new Moms. It is a resource for new Moms to share helpful hints, get reliable news, info and support.

My website is www.NetworkforMoms.org . I would love for it to be as much of a resource for new Moms as it can be. Feel free to stop by and visit!
    Joy E.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

IPW - how do you  make the eggplant parm bites?  That sounds like something my DD would really enjoy!  We too have a picky eater at times....sounds like you are doing a great job though.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Memes, cant take credit.  I buy them from the freezer section!  I'm sure all grocery stores organize differently, but at my market basket, they are in the same coolers as most of the chicken nuggets and stoffers meals.

I will say, these are one item you really want to use the oven or toaster oven (BTW, my countertop toaster oven is probably the best investment I've made so far when cooking for LO).  I tried the microwave the other day to speed it up.  They practically exploded and were gross.

Sections
Shortcuts