Picnic Foods for Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from savvyshopper926. Show savvyshopper926's posts

Picnic Foods for Toddlers

Hi All,
       Do you have any suggestions on picnic foods that will be both healthy and "fun" for a 3, 2, and 19 mth old?  We are having a play date full of sprinklers and a little tikes bounce house and thought it would be fun to spread out a blanket and have a picnic, but I am not really sure what to serve.  I wanted to get creative rather than plain old grilled cheese sandwiches.  I figure if they make a mess that is fine because they will be in their bathing suits and running in the sprinkler anyway.  I know you guys are a lot more creative than I am!  Thanks Ladies!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Picnic Foods for Toddlers

Kids love fruit salad.  Grapes are fun, in particular.  Spitting watermelon seeds (not harmful if swallowed) was always fun, too, but not sure you can find a seeded one anymore (they were sweeter, I think, too).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Grapes need to be cut up below age 3.  Major choking potential.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I assumed there would be proper preparation for safety, just for the record. :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

think about what you'd like to eat and bring that! pasta salad is a good picnic food, grilled chicken, cut up hot dogs if you have a grill at hand, DS loves his corn on the cob. fruit salad is yummy-you can also throw in more "unconventional" fruit like kiwi and mangos (DS's favs) or any other fruit that the kids don't normally eat but might like to try a bite of. For safety keep it to softer fruits than cut up apples and grapes.

DS loves watermellon-totally messy but fun to eat in a bathing suit. so is ice cream!

You can also make your own freeze pops.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Cucumbers, spicy black bean salad.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

baked beans
    corn on the cob
    grilled chicken
    bean salad
    hummus and veggies
    watermelon!
    guacamole
    I can't think of anything I would eat at a picnic that my toddler wouldn't.  Cookout food is delicious!  The major concern is making sure it's presented in a safely and not a choking hazard.  I would recommend offering healthy stuff first (don't let them see the chips until real food has been consumed) but that is easier said than done. I know with mine I have to put a limit on pickles or she'll be up thirsty in the middle of the night.  Make sure any ground meat gets cooked through.  Try to keep them away from unattended beers Wink!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

wait, how portable does this have to be?  is this a picnic in the back yard where you can run back to the fridge or does everything have to fit in a basket and not need too many utensils?