Planning BBQ- Any Tips?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from evavase. Show evavase's posts

Planning BBQ- Any Tips?

Hi all, 

We are hosting a bbq (1st with DS who is 10 months) this weekend. Any helpful advice out there for easy planning/food ideas, setting up while keeping DS happy, and any other tips?  

Also going to be several babies (4months- 1year) and some toddlers. Any ideas to keep them happy (set out a bunch of toys?, fun food ideas for babies and kids)?  

Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Re: Planning BBQ- Any Tips?

For a second I thought BBQ was some weird acronym from the boards I wasn't familiar with.  Then I realized what it meant haha.
    Bubbles.  Kids love bubbles.  Get some of those BIG wands (like 2 feet long) with the plate-sized bubble making end and the little tray. I just stocked up for our 4th of July celebration.  They were in the 1$ section at Target this morning.  I got a big 1-gallon container of bubbles and will dole out solution into the trays as needed.  This is good for little kids who can't blow their own bubbles but can wave their arms around.  Plus, easier for parents to maintain conversation with other adults while simultaneously making bubbles. 

I would say delegation is probably your most useful tool.  When people ask if they should bring something, tell them yes and give them some options that would be helpful.  That way you won't end up wtih 8 gallons of coleslaw from friends and having to provide everything else.  Give specific tasks to DH, ordered according to importance.  Don't let him retreat to the workshop for 2 hours to work on a master plan to stop the screen door from creaking (what my husband thought was most important last time we had a cookout).
    Also, keep it simple.  It's fun to have fancy schmancy stuff but people won't resent you for being a horrible host if you limit the menu to simple things like hot dogs, burgers, and potato salad/chips.  Putting a barrel IN the yard will encourage people to clean up after themselves.

Have fun!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Just threw a big birthday bash for DH, and did it BBQ style.  Definitely let others bring stuff (they will anyway).  I find it helpful when I make it specific.  Not just "a side" but "how about that brocoli slaw that you make so well" - that way, like Lissa said, you don't end up with all of one thing.  If there will be kids that can't walk/aren't mobile yet, I found that places for them to be put down are very helpful.  High chairs, play pens, exersaucers, strollers etc.  At a family function recently, everyone wanted to hold DS and he just wanted it to stop.  I finally brought his stroller inside the restaurant and put him in... and he was so much better just to have all the hands off him.  I think in the heat sometimes they just want to be left alone.  But obviously still need to be safe.  
    And as you will want to play host, do you have a MIL, SIL, brother, cousin etc. that could also keep an eye out for DS in addition to you?  I put my DS's godmother to work asking her to just also be on the lookout for him making sure the 3 year olds weren't trying to pick him up or feed him popcorn (two brilliant ideas)!!  Having that extra person who you trust watch your child helps so much so you and DH can enjoy playing host/hostess!!

Have fun!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

As far as food, I second the advice to keep it simple.

A big container of greens, a couple of sliced English cucumbers, a couple containers of grape tomatoes and (viola!) salad. Italian and ranch dressing will pretty much cover everyone. If you're really motivated, you can add other vegetables.

Pasta salad: cook a box or two (depending on how many guests) of pasta a day or two ahead of time. Keep in the refrigerator. The day of, add your favorite "salad" items. I like finely chopped bell peppers, red onion, and Italian dressing with tricolor rotini. You can also do chopped tomatoes, basil, mozzarella cheese, and balsamic with ziti. That might be better with small kids (no onion).

Slices of watermelon are always a big hit and great for outdoors. Kids can be messy and what kid doesn't love that?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

I'm a big fan of baby containment for parties.  So I'd recommend a superyard set up with toys, etc. to keep the little ones amused and allow parents to mingle and eat!  We did that for my DD's first and I think it worked well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

I am not sure what your backyard looks like, but i bought a $20 rug from IKEA because we have a stone patio- allowed the babies to sit on the ground without getting all scratchy.

I third the bubbles, recommend having sunscreen on hand, and, if you are doing the "prep" in the morning, have someone come over early to play with the baby....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Play Yard - secure those of like mobility in one spot in the yard and enjoy!

http://www.amazon.com/North-States-Superyard-Classic-Gate/dp/B00020L78M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309284010&sr=8-1

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Set up:  Have a self serve bar area [alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages] that is fully stocked.

Set up a buffet or stations for everything else. 

Focus on the flow of the bar, buffet and tables.  If people can move easily to feed and water themselves, the party organizes itself.

We did this for an anniversary party and it worked wonderfully. We were able to keep an eye on what needed restocking and then putting it out, all while being able to mingle w/ the guests. 

GL.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

In Response to Re: Planning BBQ- Any Tips?:
    [QUOTE]Give specific tasks to DH, ordered according to importance.  Don't let him retreat to the workshop for 2 hours to work on a master plan to stop the screen door from creaking (what my husband thought was most important last time we had a cookout).
    Posted by lissafro[/QUOTE]
    Are we married to the same man???
    That is SO my husband.  He would emerge 2 hours later with an intricately crafted device.  He spent about 6 hours of labor to craft and refine a part for our $30 paper shredder.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

In Response to Re: Planning BBQ- Any Tips?:
    [QUOTE]For a second I thought BBQ was some weird acronym from the boards I wasn't familiar with.  Then I realized what it meant haha. Bubbles.  Kids love bubbles.  Get some of those BIG wands (like 2 feet long) with the plate-sized bubble making end and the little tray. I just stocked up for our 4th of July celebration.  They were in the 1$ section at Target this morning.  I got a big 1-gallon container of bubbles and will dole out solution into the trays as needed.  This is good for little kids who can't blow their own bubbles but can wave their arms around.  Plus, easier for parents to maintain conversation with other adults while simultaneously making bubbles.  I would say delegation is probably your most useful tool.  When people ask if they should bring something, tell them yes and give them some options that would be helpful.  That way you won't end up wtih 8 gallons of coleslaw from friends and having to provide everything else.  Give specific tasks to DH, ordered according to importance.  Don't let him retreat to the workshop for 2 hours to work on a master plan to stop the screen door from creaking (what my husband thought was most important last time we had a cookout). Also, keep it simple.  It's fun to have fancy schmancy stuff but people won't resent you for being a horrible host if you limit the menu to simple things like hot dogs, burgers, and potato salad/chips.  Putting a barrel IN the yard will encourage people to clean up after themselves. Have fun!
    Posted by lissafro[/QUOTE]

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sections
Shortcuts