Poly-vi-sol??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from roneil68. Show roneil68's posts

Poly-vi-sol??

Have any nursing mothers had a liquid vitamin prescribed for their newborn?  My daughter had it 13 years ago but my son did not 10 years ago and now my 5 week old daughter has been prescribed it.  My pedi stated it was due to a deficiency in vitamin D & iron in breast milk, but that seems to be up for debate from what I gather in my own research.  Any thoughts?  I have been giving it to her thus far...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Re: Poly-vi-sol??

My Pedi had us use Tri-Vi-Sol which had D and two other vitamins... she thought Poly-Vi-Sol was overkill from what I could remember.  I wish I remember more thoroughly what her exact recs were, though... sorry!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

My son is taking the Tri-Vi-Sol.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Our pedi recommended Tri-Vi-Sol and we've been using it as well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

My DD took the Tri-Vi-Sol (Vitamins A, C & D) until she started eating infant cereal and other foods. She was exclusively breastfed, but she liked taking the drops.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from grimalkin. Show grimalkin's posts

Ditto what the others have said. My pedi prescribed Tri-Vi-Sol. I accidentally bought the Poly the first time I shopped. I was told that it's overkill but that it won't hurt DS (he'll just pee out the unnecessary vitamins).

I was also told that Poly-Vi-Sol smells and tastes worse than the Tri-Vi-Sol:) Baby didn't seem to mind, though.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

We used trivisol until our daughter graduated to vitamin gummies. Our daughter loved it. We accidentally bought polyvisol once and it gave her p00p problems. I guess it has iron in it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from grif311. Show grif311's posts

My preemie was given Poly-vi-sol in the NICU and we were instructed to add it to one bottle a day once she was discharged.  We ended up taking her off of it when her growth matched the "normal" growth charts

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmbonil. Show jmbonil's posts

My daughter started on Poly-vi-sol around 15 months old. We're vegetarians and we (pediatrician too) were a bit concerned that she wasn't getting enough iron. I added it to the first bottle of milk she had in the morning, and she always drank it all. She did very well on the Poly-vi-sol, then we switched her to gummi vitamins around age 2. The pediatrician recommended the Poly-vi-sol but it wasn't formally prescribed as it's over the counter.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

My pediatrician recommended tri-vi-sol for the vitamin D, but I am not giving my DD any vitamin supplements. I have more of a "nature knows best" mentality about feeding my infant - between the breastmilk, yogurt, fruits, veggies, meats (that don't end up on the floor), I'm not really worried. When's she's older I'll consider a chewy vitamin.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

There is definately debate on this one.  Breastfeeding professionals will tell you that there is no nutritional deficency in breastmilk whatsoever, unless your child has a specific problem.  The pediatrician is more apt to try and cover all the bases no matter what.

Personally, I would avoid anything that has additional iron supplements as it causes constipation and you don't want to go there.  The extra vitamins are no big deal.  But, if she's(?) gaining weight no problem and healthy/active and alert, why bother?

DS was breastfed exclusively for the first month or two and then we supplemented due to supply problems and I chose a formula without iron.  When we switched to solids and regular milk, I gave him a vitamin supplement (no iron) and we try to keep a healthy balanced diet.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

If it helps you decide, I took the pediatrician's advice on the Tri-Vi-Sol becasue DD was a November baby, and I knew she wouldn't be getting vitamin D from the sun for a while. Plus I am very prone to sunburn, so I always wear sunscreen, and probably could use extra D myself. I was still taking vitamins while nursing, but I wasn't confident  the amount of D was enough for both of us, so I felt better using the drops.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

My 3 mo old DD was also prescribed tri-vi-sol, but not until I frantically called the on call nurse at my pedi's office because a friend told me that all BF babies needed this supplement.  Well, we've had the bottle for at least a month now and I think I've given it to her 4 times.  I think I'm like beniceboston, I have a hard time believing that there is a nutritional deficiency in my breastmilk.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

I can't speak from personal experience, but there IS some thinking that most of us are walking around Vitamin D deprived, especially here in the Northeast (less sun) and women (more likely to use products daily with SPF in them).  Plus, and this is up for debate, some people think the RDA isn't high enough, but I'm no nutritional expert so take that for what it's worth. 

I actually meant to ask the pedi about this during our consult and totally forgot.  Again, talk to me in a couple months when I have LO in hand, but I would probably follow the pedi's advice if he wants me to add that, but I'd be inclined to avoid anything with iron if at all possible.  I have a terrible time with iron supplements myself, so I am Wary of them. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Vitamin D deficiency is more common here.  We are not routinely checking for vitamin D deficiency in infants so this will not be picked up.  So, hence the recommendation.  Additionally, the iron in poly is usually very well tolerated but there is not an absolute recommendation.  I do believe (based on lab values) there is a very significant incidence of iron deficiency that is often not caught or not followed up on.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotcinnababy. Show hotcinnababy's posts

My doctor told us we could use it (baby was born in early winter).  she said to continue with the poly vi sol until we started cereal or formula as those were fortified.  I believe she didn't suggest prior to 2 months, but that could just be when I asked about it too.  I was concerned about the vitamin d.  I actually found it helpful as a way to practice giving medicine - my daughter was young enough not to wiggle and I was able to figure out that you have to put the stuff way in the back of the mouth or you both end up wearing it.  Better to learn that lesson when it's not tylenol or a baby's fever that you're dealing with, but rather a healthy dose of vitamins that if they don't all make it in the mouth is okay. 

Sections
Shortcuts