Post Pregnancy Exercise Recommendations?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from katestein. Show katestein's posts

Post Pregnancy Exercise Recommendations?

My bouncing baby is about two months old, and my OB has given me the green light to exercise (ugh!).  Due to a high risk pregnancy, I wasn't allowed to work out at all, now I'm staring down the barrel of swimsuit season and trying to figure out the  best way to firm up my jiggly bits.  

Due to weak muscles, a c-section and "advanced maternal age" (almost 40), I'm looking for low impact ideas to work my way back into shape.  I'm taking walks with my little one, but looking for something to tone the, ahem, problem areas.

I'm looking for something more fun than zillions of crunches on my living room floor.  Considering something like pilates, but looking for recommendations for fun ways to get back into shape.

Any ideas?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Re: Post Pregnancy Exercise Recommendations?

I don't have any kids (yet) but how about working out in the pool?  That's a low impact exercise that is also a great workout.  I just joined our local YMCA and they have a bunch of Aquatics class.  While some are geared towards an older ("active adult") crowd many are normal exercise classes.  Or if you're near the beach or a lake you could create your own workout.  HTH!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jttruong76. Show jttruong76's posts

I highly recommend checking out a Baby Boot Camp class. I am currently doing the class on Saturdays at the Bunker Hill Monument with my 18 month old and I wish I had started much sooner.

The classes are very well taught, have music and are very motivating because of the other mommas who are there. The teacher will give you modifications based on your comfort level and will remind you to do everything at your own pace.

I find that doing it with other people encourages you to work harder and forces you to show up! It is great to meet other people with kids in your area and they also organize occasional Mom's Night Out events, playgroups etc.

Great for both physical and mental health!

I think you can try your first class for free, so if you end up hating it, no harm done!
    Check it out:
    http://www.babybootcamp.com/

In Response to Post Pregnancy Exercise Recommendations?:
    [QUOTE]My bouncing baby is about two months old, and my OB has given me the green light to exercise (ugh!).  Due to a high risk pregnancy, I wasn't allowed to work out at all, now I'm staring down the barrel of swimsuit season and trying to figure out the  best way to firm up my jiggly bits.   Due to weak muscles, a c-section and "advanced maternal age" (almost 40), I'm looking for low impact ideas to work my way back into shape.  I'm taking walks with my little one, but looking for something to tone the, ahem, problem areas. I'm looking for something more fun than zillions of crunches on my living room floor.  Considering something like pilates, but looking for recommendations for fun ways to get back into shape. Any ideas?
    Posted by katestein[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Pilates and Yoga are definitely great for working your core muscles, and they can be fun - depends on the instructor, one yoga class I took had an instructor who felt downward dog was the ideal "rest" pose from which all other movements could start, and I hate downward dog. I also second looking into joining the Y - I like the water aerobics available at mine, even if I feel like I am one of the youngest members of the class (also pushing 40, but most of the attendees at the class I go to said bye to 40 years ago.....) and the fact that most Y's have babysitting included in the membership fee means that you don't have to try and find care for your LO while there. HTH

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I've been working my biceps and triceps by lifting ice-cream-laden scoops into my gaping maw.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

Also check out stroller strides - it's a class you do with your LO in the stroller and it's a great way to meet other new moms

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

^ Ha!

Any sort of Mommy & Me or Baby Bootcamp class is going to be good & focus on core strength, plus most are designed for you to bring your little one, which takes the babysitting issue out of the equation.  My Y's babysitting starts at 3 months, so that was an issue for me on my leave. 

If you can afford it, a personal trainer can be fantastic for accountability and designing a workout that's customized for you.  YMCA's tend to have really good rates -- if you live near one, I recommend joining. 

You can probably find a good core workout on your On Demand if you have it.  I hate sit-ups and don't do them, but my trainer put together a very good (read: painful) workout that doesn't involve them at all.  Mainly plank stuff, twists, combo moves ... stuff like that. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jettagirl78. Show jettagirl78's posts

I don't love working out in gyms, especially after the baby and all those "jiggly bits." I found the pilates videos so very helpful. On Demand does have some great short videos...but you an also find them at Walmart/Target... I found 25 minute videos and tried to fit one in each day or every other day. I also tried to make floor time/tummy time with DS into some Mommy crunch time. I am not talking a ton, but sets of 10 and try and get a reaction from my DS. I would then do some leg lifts. Every lit bit helps! :)

And I second Water Aerobics. It is no joke. It is a workout. You will feel it. And yes, the average age is usually in the 60 range.

It is good to find something you enjoy...Zumba video is fun too! :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsBride. Show BsBride's posts

Zumba!!  I was able to start Zumba 7 weeks post baby, just took it easy for a few weeks until I worked my way back up. My mother and aunt, in their 50s, also do zumba, so it's great for any age. You're able to work your core, and get a great cardio workout, without doing any crunches, and it's fun.  I can only get to one class a week, so my progress was slow (took 6 months to lose all the weight) but I consider my hour zumba class my "night out" because it's just like dancing at the clubs ten years ago :)