Potty training and Auto-flush toilets

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Potty training and Auto-flush toilets

This past weekend DD & I were out running errands. DD is starting to become more vocal about asking to go potty. (Yea!) So we were at the mall, she says she has to go, I take her to the restroom, get her seated on the potty, and BA-WOOSH, it flushes just as she is sitting down. She pretty much leapt off the seat and refused to get back on the potty. We were out all afternoon, and at dinner, another potty request, another auto-flush toilet. This time she did her business and had hopped off when it flushed, but she still dashed to me and clung on my legs.
    I'm happy she was willing to try again, but I'm wondering if anyone out there has a solution to keep the darn thing from flushing until she is ready? I hate it when they flush while I'm sitting on one, but it is worse for DD, since 1) she wiggles a lot when sitting on a big potty, so she is more likely to set the thing off and 2) She gets a little freaked out by loud toilets even when she flushes herself - the unexpected nature of the auto-flush really wigs her out.

I don't want her to stop asking to use the potty, I don't want her to refuse to use auto-flush toilets, I just want to make it as pleasant as possible. Any ideas?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Re: Potty training and Auto-flush toilets

Awesome! I will try the post-it note trick next time we are confronted with an auto-flush toilet.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Interesting.  I hate those things - the splash cannot be sanitary!  YUCK!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KEK. Show KEK's posts

This reminds me of the time my Brother and Sister In law, along with their 2 children came to visit.  Their youngest daughter was about 3 1/2.  They live in Ireland where the standard toiles has low-flow flushing, that is, there is not much water in the bowl. 

Well as soon as their daughter flushed for the first time she freaked out.  She thought the water was going to come up out of the bowl.  She calmed down and seemed find until it was time for bed.  She absolutely refused to use the toilet.  There was much pleading but she wouldn't give in. 

As a last resort, my brother in law took her out to the back yard to do her business.  The next morning we had to buy her a little potty chair to use for the remainder of their visit.  We still laugh about it today.  My BIL says if anyone saw them they would think they were staight off the farm in the old country!  This couldn't be further from the truth.  Their house is modern in every way.

Sections
Shortcuts