potty training - outside the house

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

potty training - outside the house

Parents of toddlers -- please give me advice on taking the potty show on the road. Our daughter is now fully daytime-trained. She wears underpants at home, pullups during naps, and a diaper for overnights. She has been dry after nap for the past 2 weeks (and has even woken from a nap to use the potty and then gone back to nap). She is usually almost dry in the morning as well. However, she has yet to potty outside the house. She is TERRIFIED of the flush of commercial toilets and will weep with fear when we enter the bathroom. Sometimes she begs me to hold her while I pee because she is so genuinely afraid. I think the fear is mostly directed towards auto flush toilets (and I can't blame her -- they never seem to wait until I'm clear). But how do I take the next step? Right now she's trying to hold her pee until we get home, and that's just not healthy. Any advice is very much appreciated!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from culhasa. Show culhasa's posts

Re: potty training - outside the house

A lot of my friends have plastice potties for their cars and just have them go in the car.  (My son has the opposite problem...he loves checking out all bathrooms and will find a reason to go into any of them.  It is so painful!)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Do you have one of those foldable toilet lids?  I have one in my pocketbook now (ours is pink, an added bonus!) for when we're out and about.  My daughter is a skinny minnie and it makes her feel more comfortable to not have to sit on a HUGE toilet she could fall into.  It doesn't solve the auto-flush (which IS kind of startling to me when it happens, nevermind my almost flushable daughter).  Usually I try to loom over her/hug her while she's going so the sensor thinks an adult is sitting.  Then I pick her up and move her AWAY from the toilet when she's done (this is more easily accomplished in the handicap stall).  I also try to remind her as I'm moving her it will flush automatically. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

http://www.amazon.com/Ginsey-Dora-Folding-Travel-Potty/dp/B00076SKZY/ref=pd_cp_ba_2

I think this might be the EXACT one I have (except ours is pink).  It was cheaper at Babies R Us than it is her.  I think it was 8.99 there.  It folds pretty flat, is more sturdy than some of the others I looked at, and isn't set up to fold inside out at in inopportune time (some of the more expensive ones seemed really flimsy)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I bought this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016L0MMS
    It looked sturdy and it doubles as a portapotty. But i might invest in that Dora one. She loves Dora and it might tempt her onto the scary toilet.

There must be a way to cover the stupid sensor.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

My favorite thing about the Dora one is it folds to a quarter of its size.  So instead of a big toilet lid I can carry around a flat, slice-of-pie shaped thing that will actually fit in my pocketbook.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

Someone recommended carrying post-its and sticking one over the sensor. It seems like it would work, but I haven't tried it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

RedFish - was going to say the same thing.  Get the ones that are colored and darker than the light yellow.  Perhaps think of a game you can do with them.  Have your daughter cover the sensor with her favorite color?  Stickers might work too... but you'd have to remember to take them off :-)

Reminds me of one of the stalls at work.  If you don't move away fast enough will get soaked.  Somehow it spits ridiculous amounts of water out of the bowl.  Gross!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I, too, am terrified of the toilet-bidet.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Your poor daughter! We have one toilet in our bathroom that is SO loud and flushes forever.  Seriously, I have to plug my ears when someone flushes that sucker, or it flushes itself.  And I have some hearing loss! I can't imagine how much that toilet would freak out small child.  I hate getting the superspray toilets when I am out too - they seem to be in every single airport stall that I used.  Grr. 

Hopefully one of the toilet cover ideas will work. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotcinnababy. Show hotcinnababy's posts

My daughter was SCARED TO FREAKDOM whenever I changed her diaper out of the house unless in my car, so I didn't know how we were going to train outside the house.  I decided to make it exciting like "do you think the toilets here will flush by themselves, or will I have to do it myself?" or "oh look! when we're done, we can wave our hands in front of the paper towels and they come out all by themselves!!!"  Truly, I sound ridiculous in the restroom, but my daughter now asks everywhere we go "do you think they have bathrooms here? can we go see what they look like?" and she runs out of the bathroom to daddy saying "Dad, the soap came out all by itself" or "dad, mom had to turn on the water, this bathroom wasn't too much fun."  I think I made it too exciting because now we have to go ALL THE TIME and she doesn't really have to go.  We recently went on vacation and she did great using so many unfamiliar bathrooms, and using so many public bathrooms got us to the "don't touch ANYTHING" lesson rather well as every mom says that so many times and we got some good comparisons between "nice bathrooms we'll visit again" and "bathrooms that we only visit when desperate!"  It might be hard with your little one already nervous, but my thought is, we have to learn sometime, so why not now.  I also use a foldable potty seat that I got on Amazon for $9, fabulous!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

We have a fear of automatic flush toilets here too.  What I've found to work is that mommy must also sit on the toilet so that it doesn't go off.  Then DD can hop off, hide in the corner of the stall (we go for the handicap ones whenever possible) and then she can say "okay mommy, I'm ready for the flush".  

I'm so investing in post-its though.  I hope that works!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

My son is older so for when he needed to sit on the seat I would put my hand over the sensor and that helped.  I'm thinking the post-it notes is a nice idea. I too used the handicap stall for public bathing breaks.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

DS isn't so much afraid of the automatic flush, he's just so disappointed that he doesn't get to flush himself.

We got a plain foldable seat from Isis for $10. Love it! Unfortunately DS likes to be a big kid and go with out it.

He even now uses his feet to flush the toilet. getting him to move away from the automatic paper towel dispenser can be a challenge, but now he loves to use the paper towel to open the door with. I'm raising a good little germophobe! :)

lemon-is DD okay wiht nonautomatic flush toilets? Maybe the post its trick will work?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

She's not okay with any commerical flush toilets. Although she really enjoys flushing the toilets at home and at the sitter's. Maybe it's the size and strength of the flush. I'm focusing on the auto flush ones because I can control the others by sending her out before the flushing happens. It's very sad to see her face all wet with tears while she cowers in the corner begging, "Don't flush, mommy. Please don't flush."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Lemon - DD is terrified of the autoflush, and is no big fan of the loud potties either, but I  posted a while back and someone recommended the post it notes for early autoflush syndrome, and they really work. I keep them in my purse at all times now. I use the small size ones in dark (purple and blue, DD's favorites) colors to cover the sensor. 

As far as the noise of commercial potties, I don't make her flush, I ask if she wants to flush, the answer is invariably no. Then I warn her "Mommy is going to flush the potty and it is going to be loud" Even if I have no idea how loud it will be. She will then cover her ears, cower behind my leg, and I flush. It doesn't eliminate the fear, but there hasn't been any crying for a long time. 

I still will often hold DD on the potty, since she is more likely to hold my arms than the toilet seat if I hold her, but will grab the toilet seat otherwise. I find she is not a big fan of the foldable potty seat. I lugged one around for a few weeks and could not get her to use it enough to make it worthwhile.

If she is reluctant to even go into the potty when you suspect she needs to, I have found that saying "Mommy is going potty now, and you need to come with me." will get DD in the bathroom, then I usually say "Since we are here, you should try and go too. Do you want Mommy to go first, or do you want to go first?" Giving her a choice of order, but not of whether she sits on the potty or not seems to help matters. She occaisonally will insist that she doesn't need to go, but most of the time it works without becoming a huge struggle.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Thank you all for the excellent advice!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: potty training - outside the house:
    She's not okay with any commerical flush toilets. Although she really enjoys flushing the toilets at home and at the sitter's. Maybe it's the size and strength of the flush. I'm focusing on the auto flush ones because I can control the others by sending her out before the flushing happens. It's very sad to see her face all wet with tears while she cowers in the corner begging, "Don't flush, mommy. Please don't flush."
    Posted by lemonmelon

Is it possible to determine what makes her afraid? Is she scared she'll be flushed down the toilet, for instance?  I know we talked about her not being verbal enough to explain what about the wall was scary, but maybe if you could draw out anything that you could use to be more specific with your calming response it would help?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Oh, she can explain anything now! She's more eloquent than most adults at this point. But she just says it's loud and scary, which it is.

You have a very good memory, kar!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Wow, she's growing up fast!  Seems like the wall thing was not long ago, but time runs together here...doesn't it?

My mom "did that to me" - she equated good listening skills with remembering everything anyone ever said (much to my DH's chagrin sometimes, lol).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

They just change so much from day to day and week to week. Everyone says, "oh, it goes so quickly" and it sounds like a bunch of cr*p but it's true!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Lemon-I was driving to work today thinking about your daughter and wondering if Cheeta post-its would help. What ways can you empower her over public toilets? maybe she can make her own noise when they flush, mabye using her feet to flush would help (stomp out those loud toilets)?

Be thankful she's not about touchign them all over like DS is-he loves to flush and I'm killing myself trying to get him not to touch everything in there...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

KAM - being afraid and touching everything are totally unrelated in our family. DD hates to flush commercial toilets, but will touch anything any everything - Especially the "trash can" that is for feminie hygiene supplies. She always wants to open it, look in, she tries to touch what is inside UGH!!! 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Amy-Lynn-I wonder if we can start a movement to move the "sanitary" trash cans up higher, say out of reach of a 2-3 year old! Why are they so facinating? Ewwww, I'm the crazy mother yelling "don't touch THAT!" in the bathroom every time DS goes for that.

(And before anyone get's on me for ADA stuff, I can tell you from personal experience having been in a body brace for months and needing ADA compliant facilities & bathrooms are not designed properly-why oh why are the toilet paper dispensers basically on the ground?)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Lemon - I haven't started training yet, so I have no specifics to offer.  But I do know that singing sometimes helps or distracts my 25 month old twins when they are scared or unhappy.  Could you make up a song? I just bought an Elmo Potty Book and there is a song to "Pop Goes The Weasel"
    What's that whooshing, washing sound?
    It's just the just the water whirling.
    And what's inside goes spinning down
    Flush! goes the potty!

Our favorite for all situations is "Favorite Things" from Sound of Music - and also Do Re Mi (which my daughter can sing by herself!)
    Good luck! Hope Li'l Lemon conquers her fears soon - at least enough that she's not crying...poor dear.

Sections
Shortcuts