Potty training, when does night wetting stop?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotcinnababy. Show hotcinnababy's posts

Potty training, when does night wetting stop?

Hi all - so we have to this point I'd say successfully potty trained our daughter.  She had resisted a bit over the last several months, but all it seemed to take was me telling her that it was underwear or nothing and she was a potty convert!  My question is, she's gotten up with a dry pull-up three of the last 4 nights.  This really surprised me and at first I thought maybe she was dehydrated, but I see her drinking and using the potty frequently during the day, so that's not it.  When would it be expected that we're past night wetting?  We started training three weeks ago, so she's had wet pull ups until just this week.  Great! But is it for keeps?  Any "been there's" with the low down, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

Re: Potty training, when does night wetting stop?

I'd love to hear about this too.  My DD has been daytime potty trained for the past 11 months, but still wakes up 99% of the time with a wet pull-up in the morning.  We haven't done anything about nighttime potty training, since DS arrived also about 11 mo ago, and we've only recently got to some kind of normal amount of sleep.  I know I need to get on it now that we're not all exhausted, and we've talked with her about it, just not sure where to begin!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

My twins are only two, but I've read that it is simply a physical thing - not trainable in any way.  When the body is ready, the child will either wake up to pee in the night, or be able to "hold it" until morning.  There is some hormone or other that has the body consolidate pee during sleep - that's why it's stronger smelling and more yellow in the morning (and the best time to test...remember?).
    I'd just love to get my two to sit on the potty - whenever we go into the bathroom they only want to do "hand washing time".  Guess I should get a water table for outside!
    Good luck!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

I too am wondering when I'll feel comfortable with letting DS go w/o diaper over night. He's been consistently dry for a few months, will even play a bit before he goes into the bathroom...but still feels weird to make that transition. I suppose we could now...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

There is a lot of luck here--other than not letting them load up on drinks too close to bed, or let them loll in bed half-awake half-asleep too long in the morning. 

If the kid is dry more often than not in the morning you could put a pull-up on over the undies "just in case."  If they go a couple of weeks you can give pull-up free a go--but get a washable mattress topper (about the size of a bath towel) to layer under the sheet on top of whatever whole-mattress cover you've got. Then if they do occasionally spring a leak you don't have to wash the whole thing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from smileyd. Show smileyd's posts

Our daughter was potty trained at 2 years 8 months.  We kept her in diapers at nap time and bedtime.  A little after she turned 3, we realized that she was always waking dry from naps and she asked if she could stop wearing diapers for naptime, so we agreed and never had a problem.  About 4 months later, we paid attention and realized that she was always waking dry in the morning.  So, we talked about it and 2 days later, we "ran out" of diapers and she went to bed in underwear.  We've never had a problem with any bed wetting.  We  have found her in the bathroom after she's already gone to bed a couple of evenings, so she clearly is in tune with her body :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

I did a bunch of reading since looking at this post and got the same info that it's not trainable, and also not a problem for a while yet :)  We've rarely had a dry morning, so I guess she's not ready.  The only thing I want to figure out is if she's going in her pull up before shet gets out of bed in the morning.  She doesn't go potty before we leave in the morning otherwise so I am highly suspect!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

well, we made the plunge to diaper free nights. Kinda by accident. The other night we forgot to put a diaper on DS (2 1/2 yr old) and he was dry. Figuring he's been dry for the past few months in the AM I'm hoping to pack up all the diaper supplies and save them for the next baby.

I would imagine this is not something that's trainable-when they're ready they're ready.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotcinnababy. Show hotcinnababy's posts

thanks everyone - it's been off and on that she's dry in the morning.  And I am a bit suspect that she might be using her pull up after she's up (it's a bit of a stop mid-stride that is strikingly new that's causing me to wonder!). 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

maybe you put her in undies with a pull-up over?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

You could also try figuring out when she wakes up, then get her up a few minutes ahead of time and bring her to the bathroom right away, do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

A pull-up over the diaper is a good idea, by the way, if they're newly potty trained and you're traveling and staying in a bed not their own...They can understand that it's "just in case" so you don't have an accident in Grandma's bed. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hot-tomato. Show hot-tomato's posts

Hi -- You're right, this is not trainable and it's not considered a "problem" until the child is about 8 or 9. It's very common for kids to not be able to hold it all night long, and for deep sleepers or those with immature bladders, wetting can continue for several years. This is especially true for boys and if there is a family history of bed-wetting. Thank goodness for pull ups! For kids who are 2 or 3 I wouldn't even remotely worry about it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotcinnababy. Show hotcinnababy's posts

thanks everyone - definitely no concerns here about the night wetting, I was just surprised that she woke up dry three times so early into our training!  Of course since I wrote with the question it hasn't happened, but we've got TONS of Dora pull-ups in the meantime!

Sections
Shortcuts