Potty training with cloth diapers (previously used disposable)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jttruong76. Show jttruong76's posts

Potty training with cloth diapers (previously used disposable)

Hi there,

My daughter is turning 2 in November and has started to show interest in potty training. She goes to a center daycare where they will do cloth if requested and she is mostly interested because she sees the older kids in the preschool room sitting on the potty. Peer pressure is wonderful.

We previously did disposable because I wasn't really interested in carrying 5-7 dirty diapers with me on the T home to get washed etc. Now that there are less in terms of # and more solid stuff you can flush before heading home, I think that will be less of an issue.

My question is: Has anyone previously used disposable (we love Target brand) and then switched to cloth for potty training? If so, what did you use and what is easy mechanically from a fine motor/gross motor point of view for the kid to figure out.

I know that Isis now sells cloth, but any other services or stores and experiences to explore are much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
    -jt

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Re: Potty training with cloth diapers (previously used disposable)

This isn't what you asked about specifically, but Target (and I'm sure other similar stores) sells training pants which are like underwear, but they're much thicker.  The ones I buy come in packs of 3 for $8.  If your daughter is having some success with using the potty, and an end to awake-time diapers is in sight, I'd definitely go this route over the cloth diapers.  Cloth diapers are EXPENSIVE up-front and probably not worth the investment if you're likely to stop using them soon.  The Gerber training pants come in 2T and 3T.  If those are too big, these ones:  http://www.pottypatty.com/Kit-0019.html come in smaller sizes.  I wouldn't get out of control with buying too many of these, though, either.  I have 6 pairs for each of my kids (b/g twins) and just wash them as-needed (it all depends on the kid and the day how many we go through--sometimes neither has any accidents all day and each wears the same one all day, other days, they go through all of them by naptime (rare these days)).  The nice thing is that they're thick enough to absorb most of the pee but since they're cloth, the kids feel wet immediately if they have an accident.  they also have plastic covers you can buy to go over them, but I haven't felt they're necessary so far.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I think Daisy may be right.  Cloth is going to be expensive if you are thinking of using them only to train.  You could be out of them in a matter of weeks.
    I bought the Gerber Training pants for my b/g twins too.  I will say that you may need the plastic covers for daycare.  My son peed right through one onto the floor yesterday. They do, however, help them realize that they are wet and need to get to the potty.
    good luck with the training!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

As a mom who uses cloth diapers, I have to agree with the others that cloth diapers are too expensive a solution for training pants (About $21-$25 per diaper), that said, there is a company that makes them:

www.getantsy.com

Definitely go with the thick underpants with a plastic cover! I'm going to figure out how to make my cloth diapers adapt to being pulled up and down when the time comes!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

You can order the Gerber training pants in 18 month size online at Amazon.  That's where I got mine since DD is tiny and needed the 18 month size when we started training (heck, she still wore that size when we finished training her).