Potty Training

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlmostHere08. Show AlmostHere08's posts

Potty Training

I'm sure there are other posts on this and I'll try to search for them in a bit. My DD refuses to keep her clothes and diaper on. We've resorted to duct tape a few times. Could this be a sign that she is ready to potty train? I did bring her to the bathroom the other night and made her sit on the potty seat we bought and she actually did pee. Does anyone have a recommendation for a potty training book or resource to look at? I know friends from work were able to potty train their child in 3 days. I don't know if I would be able to do that, but I don't know where to start. DD is 19 months and has been doing this for over a month now. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Re: Potty Training

We got DS an elmo potty book, and one from the library, neither seemed to be helpful-sorry! what seemed to help him was just to talk about the routine of it all. Wake up-go to the bathroom, after breakfast, go to the bathroom, before lunch, go to the bathroom, etc.. Does she have any words to tell you she needs to go yet?

DD, also 19 mo, has the words, knows when she's having a bm, but only wants to "pee" when a bath is involved. She's not ready.

Hopefully CT-DC will chime in-she's an amazing wealth of knowlege on this!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlmostHere08. Show AlmostHere08's posts

Thanks, Kam! She says pee and p00p. She is usually wet or had a bm when she does say it. Back at her 18 month well visit we discussed putting her on Miralax daily because she would try and hold it in. She's been so much better since we've included the daily Miralax and don't know that she is going or has gone until she either comes over with it on her hands, says p00p or you can smell it. I make her sit on the potty if she completely undresses, but really haven't made a big deal about it. The time she did go on the potty wasn't a bath night and we had just finished dinner. She also sits on the potty when I am in the bathroom.

Is there a book you used for ideas on how to go through the process?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

My DD started taking off her diaper at about 18 months.  She hated the feeling of a poopy diaper.  This led to some horrorshow mornings (going in, finding her sleeping peacefully in her own smeared p00p, diaper on the floor next to the crib). We started talking about potty training and giving her a chance to "try" but she wasn't really physically able to control the muscles and know AHEAD of time that she was going to go until she was about 2.  At about 2 she potty trained easily, though.  I didn't do any books for grownups to read for myself but there are a few books about using the toilet that are geared toward kids that I got at the library.  She liked reading them adn they seemed to give her some language to express what she was feeling or questions she had. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlmostHere08. Show AlmostHere08's posts

Thanks, lissafro. I guess I'll head to the library and see what I can find for books!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

3 days?  I don't have kids, but being 41 I've had 20 years of friends with LOs, and I would (quietly) challenge that.  My husband believes "we" housebroke our puppy in a week.  It actually took ME 3 months, the average time.  Maybe that child was potty trained in 3 days, maybe not, but I wouldn't put TOO much stock in that assertion.  People's perception of reality changes over time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlmostHere08. Show AlmostHere08's posts

Kar- The child probably had it figured out in 3 days, but I'm sure there were plenty of accidents in the weeks that followed to really make it a month or more. That and I'm not so happy about not leaving the house or bathroom for those 3 days as that is what I was told happened. I work fulltime so I'd rather spend the quality time doing something with DD than sit in the bathroom all day!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I just didn't want you to compare your universally frustrating and difficult experience unfairly to what is probably not even close to what actually happened in their "3 day" case.  I'm not accusing them of lying, but like you say, "3 days" can mean anything and, therefore, is meaningless.  Just plug along with the philosophy that is most compatible with your overall style and it will come together, but realistic timing expectations will be a source of strength and patience.  Sounds like you already figured that out, though. :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

You've got two choices:

Intensive potty training where they do, indeed catch on in a short time (few days, a week) with some accidents and getting really good at it in a few weeks.  And yes, you do have to pretty much stay home for a couple of days.  Pick a long weekend or crummy weather when you don't need to be anyplace and just get it over with.

On and off, semi-potty trained for months and months, half in pull-ups, half out, potty at home and diapers in the car, etc.

And I know you didn't mean it to come out this way--because if you did you would never have said it! 

But "I work, I don't want to waste our precious bonding time with boring old potty training or be stuck in the house a whole three days!" sounds like every evil stereotype of Selfish Working Mommy I've ever heard.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to purplecow89's comment:

But "I work, I don't want to waste our precious bonding time with boring old potty training or be stuck in the house a whole three days!" sounds like every evil stereotype of Selfish Working Mommy I've ever heard.

Wow. Are you a working mother?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

First-ignore Purplecow's last comment.

Second-if a child is ready, it can go that quickly. I took DS (he was 2.5 at the time) out of diapers on a Tuesday, he had one accident that night, and one later in the week. He went to day care all week long. That weekend we went to regularly scheduled events. Rare, but can happen.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlmostHere08. Show AlmostHere08's posts

Thanks, Kar! I totally get what you meant and the child was much older so he may have been ready for it. I don't think DD would be ready for that just yet. Who knows, though. :)

Purplecow - No, I totally didn't mean it the way it came across. I don't think we're ready yet for the hardcore potty training, but seeing how it goes over the next couple of months is probably where we are at. Thank you for your thoughts.

Thanks, Kam! That's great for 2.5 that it was pretty much a week, with a few accidents here and there. Last night DD took her diaper off and put it in the trash all on her own. She can take them of without taking the onesie off. I'll have to see what this weekend brings. Take each day at a time!!!

Thank you all for the feedback!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

My niece is 3 and is struggling with potty training. She gets it, but I don't think she likes being interrupted from whatever she's doing, so she doesn't tell anyone that she needs to go. Anyway, for her birthday, one of her other aunts got her the Little Mommy potty doll. The doll comes with a toilet that has p00p in it when the doll sits on it and then you flush it clean. It lead to a whole discussion about how the doll goes on the toilet, not in her pants etc. It at least worked that day because she didn't have any accidents after we had that talk. She's had them since, but I don't know how often she plays with that doll or has that kind of talk with her parents either. Just a thought!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Chicket, I had the attention span potty issue until I was 4.  My mom lost it one day and that was it.  I never went in my pants, again, but 4?!  OMG, I'm not proud, LOL.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

19 months old is young, but doable. It's most likely not going to be 3 days at that age. I trained my DD at 24 months and she was totally diaper free and daytime dry in 16 days. Her twin brother didn't train until his third birthday - despite many attempts along the way. It all depends on the child.

Some things we liked: Elmo's Potty Time DVD

My Big Girl Potty book by Joanne Cole

and for mommy - The No Cry Potty Solution and Stress-Free Potty Training. Both offer lots of low key ideas. I read one of those "train in a weekend" type books and threw it out. Way too punitive for my taste.

And you don't have to stay home forever - you can start by taking her to the potty at home and put her in a diaper or pull up when you go out. Beward that once you start training you may have to visit every bathroom at every store. The other day we went at Starbucks, Roche Bros. AND Target. And all of a sudden they are enraptured by blowers for drying hands. (sigh). :)

Good luck!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlmostHere08. Show AlmostHere08's posts

Chiclet - I'll have to look into that doll! A little weird, but it may work. Thank you for the suggestion.

Misslily - DD really doesn't watch TV. Sometimes a song or seeing kids will catch her eye and she'll watch for a few seconds, but she's really not a TV kid. The book suggestions are great though. I'll see what I can find. I'm fine with the multiple trips to the bathroom if she is ready. I don't want to push it too long or give up too early.

Thank you all so much for the help. DD is with family when I am at work so we'll see how the weekend goes and whether we will travel with our potty next week. Did you just use underwear or did you also add the rubber pants as a safeguard?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Almost-when traveling I used to put DS in his undies, then a diaper over his undies, then his pants-that would save the car seat should he have an accident. when I arrived at our desitnation, slip his pants down a tad, slip the diaper off, then he was in his big boy undies. He refused to wear any sort of training undies! He never did have an accident when I did this. His were always at home at night (clearly tired).

Misslily is right- you will be very familiar with every potty in every store/restaurant. You will abandon full carts by registers for the potty, you will have warm food delivered sitting at an empty table while you take DD to the bathroom. It's all part of the fun-right? But the freedom of no diaper bag is awesome!

I'd ask your mother how old you were when you trained and how that went. Might give you insight into how well it will go for DD.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

19 months is a good age to start, potty awareness/ potty training, but your DD might not be physically able to know far enough in advance to get to the potty in time/be able to hold it. My DD started showing interest in potty training around 18 months, but it was several months of one step forward, one step back, before she was really trained (by 22-23 months). I kept her in pull-ups during that time, since she was all about using the potty for a few days, then would go a few days or even weeks where she didn't want anything to do with the potty. Once we got serious about it, though, it seemed to go pretty fast, and she didn't have the issue of not wanting to stop her activities for potty breaks. She was (still is, actually) afraid of auto-flush potties, so I am in the habit of carrying around a pad of post-it-notes to put over the sensor when we encounter one out in the world.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Already mentioned this in the Infants and Toddlers thread, but thought I should come here for some potty training tips.  DD is 26 months and I think she'll be ready to potty train fairly soon.  Initially she was intrigued by the potty seat, but that has kind of worn off.  My question really is how did you get started?  I think I have heard that you can start by going directly to the potty in the a.m. and after nap time to "try"?  I might have to read a book, I'm useless without them.  When do you make the switch to underwear - once they have a decent grasp of going on the toilet or even before that?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I'm having the worst time logging in these days. But here goes.

Fra - take her to the potty in the morning, before and after meals and obviously before bed. In between you might take her 20-30 minutes after she has a drink or snack. Once you get a decent number of hits, you can switch to undies and see how it goes. My DD was about 26 months when she trained and she was good to go in undies after about 2 weeks. I still would put her in a pullup occasionally if we were going to the grocery store or something.

For anyone training: You can buy something called a piddle pad for the car seat. You should buy a toilet insert that folds up and goes in the diaper bag (or large purse) if you are training a two year old. Their little bums will fall into a public toilet (not fun for you or them).

Don't ask them if they need to go. The answer is always "no". Tell them it's time to try. I found rewards (stickers and or M&M's) totally useless. I rewarded with high praise, hugs and kisses. I tried my best to ignore accidents. But when my son was having accident after accident. We went to pullups and tried again a few months later. Some kids just aren't ready - and if the mess is making mommy and daddy crazy - best to back off and try again later when you might have more success.