Puffs/Baby Led Weaning Etc.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Puffs/Baby Led Weaning Etc.

It's round 2 for me and I can't remember for the life of me when puffs/food pieces dipped in cheerio dust is typically introduced.  I broke a puff into 8ths (yes it was overkill a bit) and gave it to DS (7 months) one piece at a time and he still had a bit of a gag reflex.  I'm kind of remembering the 8-9 month timeframe for those, but I can't remember.  Please remind me!  I know every kid is different, but I want to know when you did it.  

Oh and as a total aside, I want to make sure that everyone knows that you can get 30% off your diapers all the time through Amazon.com's subscribe and save program.  I'll end my plug now. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: Puffs/Baby Led Weaning Etc.

Oooh Lost!  I have been meaning to ask about Amazon's subscribe and save.  A friend mentioned it, but said she subscribes and unsubscribes every time she needs to order diapers.  Not sure why she does that?  Do you automatically keep getting diapers if you don't unsubscribe?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

food dipped into cheerio dust?  Never heard of doing that, but I believe DD was 6/7 months when she would eat a puff, 7/8 months for cheerios and after that she ate everything in site just cut into super small pieces.  She never took to cereal or the jarred fruits/veggies, she pretty much just went straight to table foods. 
    With DD#1's allergy, Im going to treat DD#2 the same way and she will never have some of the basic staples you would introduce to a 6/7 month old, like puffs or cheerios for instance.  Should be interesting for sure.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Lostgrouse - I started giving my DD puffs and cheerios, etc. around 8 months to try.  She really just played with them for the most part until just recently, and definitely still had a strong gag reflex.  She is 9.5 months now and just this week started really eating the puffs.  She still misses her mouth sometimes (!), but when she gets them in she munches away and actually enjoys eating them.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

I think we started giving DD puffs and cherrios about 6 months.  Just as June said, DD never took to cereal or jarred food so she was bascially eating finger foods at 7/8 months.

i have never heard of dipping it in cherrio dust either.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Yeah, we dipped kiwi and sweet potato pieces etc. in Cheerio dust so that DD could pick it up better and it didn't just slip out of her fingers.

Fram, we do the subscribe and save and cancel too.  If you do it that way, you don't have to worry about unneeded small diapers showing up at your door 3 months later when you don't need them and you get free 2 day shipping on the first order under subscribe and save every time.  On subsequent shipments, it's standard shipping.  I love getting my diapers delivered right to my door and they're pretty cheap!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

DD is 6 1/2 months, and we haven't started puffs yet...she's not a fan of cereal though, so we've mostly been doing purees, a mix of homemade and storebought.  I remember friends starting them at around 8 months though.

Fram, on the Amazon question: you can cancel and resubscribe every time, or set up a regular delivery.  You just have to make sure you modify it when she changes diaper size, which is why lots of people cancel and start over when they need more diapers.  You can get wipes, laundry detergent, coffee, all kinds of good stuff!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from grimalkin. Show grimalkin's posts

I was paranoid about choking and was terrified to try finger foods.  We started with puffs at 9 months and didn't try cheerios until about 9.5 or 10 months. DS was more than ready!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

DS is mouthing puffs now fairly well, and Lost he's exactly the same age as yours (7mths).  He loves to try to pick them up, but they go into his closed fist and not into his mouth.  So the ones he eats I have to put there.  First couple weeks (I started to try around 6 mths) he gagged but figured out to either spit it out, or leave it in his mouth until softer.  Now he actually does a small chewing motion (no teeth yet) so hardly any gagging.
    I tried banana slices cut into 4's this weekend and he did great!  Avocado worked well too.  And last night while out at dinner I gave him (via spoon) some mushed up meatball.  He was way weirded out by the texture, but took 3-4 spoonfuls.
    So we're edging toward real foods now, just super mushy or soft.  BUT, DS also inhales all the purees, so we go through lots of those as well.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

In Response to Re: Puffs/Baby Led Weaning Etc.:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, we dipped kiwi and sweet potato pieces etc. in Cheerio dust so that DD could pick it up better and it didn't just slip out of her fingers.

Oh thats wild, I never heard of that, but a great idea!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

We started DS on puffs around 7.5-8 months.  He doesn't really like them but does pick them up and play with them. Just this week we started on cheerios and he loves them.  (I was hesitant because they are small and hard but he eats them like a pro!) He is doing really well putting them in his mouth too. I'm moving more towards finger/table food too.  Mostly because I'm tired of pureed fruits & vegs but also because DS pretty much just wants what we have.

Someone else told me about coating slippery foods in mashed up cereal so they could pick it up too.  Ds was having trouble eating banana pieces.  It works great!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

I used rice cereal to dip fruits for DD to pick up.

Puffs absorb saliva so quickly, I think it would be nearly impossible for a baby to choke on it. I don't think you could really swallow a whole puff without it dissolving first... atleast, that was my experience with the Gerber brand puffs. I never fed them to her - if she could manage to get them in her mouth, then she would get to eat one.

I didn't give DD Cheerios till much later though - probably closer to 1 year - I was a bit more afraid of those, and she was never really a big fan of them anyway. (although my SIL thought she was missing some big milestone because she wasn't eating Cheerios )

Oh, and with subscribe & save - they send you an email in advance letting you know the order will ship, so you can always cancel it, postpone/change the ship date, or change the size diaper you want delivered.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Lost, I was looking at a container of puffs the other day, and I can't remember what they were, but the brand I looked at had a list of "things baby should be doing" before giving puffs.  I remember that crawling or rocking back and forth on hands and knees was one, and DD hasn't quite mastered that.  So I'm not sure about age recommendations, but you could probably find a list of physical milestones that might put your mind at ease. 

I have given her banana and/or avocado in one of those mesh teethers ... that seems to satisfy her need to "feed herself" while keeping me from going insane over choking risk. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoffeeQueen. Show CoffeeQueen's posts

We dust slippery foods in wheat germ and it works well.  DS also loves the mesh teethers.  His top front teeth finally cut and now the teeth on either side are coming down.  The mesh feeders with frozen mango, banana or strawberry have been a lifesaver! Sorry, kinda off topic...

We started with puffs at 6 mos.  I would bite them in half and DS would mouth them till mushy and swallow.  The gagging ensued when he would hoard in his cheeks and try to swallow three of more.  At 10 months he's now eating everything we eat.  Child started refusing the spoon 6 weeks ago so we switched to cutting up table food really tiny.  The other baby at daycare totally benefitted from my stash of purees since DS was done with them!

I LOVE amazon mom and the subscribe and save.  You get 15% off and prime shipping by being an Amazon mom member and another 15% off for doing subscribe and save.  Not only are the diapers a great deal but the simple fact of not having to go to the store or BJ's to buy diapers is priceless. I order, they show up in 2 days on my porch. Everyone's happy. LOVE IT!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I have to say that we have ignored the recommendations for the physical milestones (that is, crawling).  Our LO is 9 months and can't crawl, but she's been eating puffs for about a month.  She has no problem with them, and she can sit up in her highchair, pick them up, put them in her mouth, and even do a little chewing.
    So it didn't seem to me that the crawling mattered, even though I'm not usually one to flout "rules".  :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Wow, I'm so behind! DD just started with the puffs, tofu, banana and the like just in the last couple of weeks (and she's almost 9 months!)

I guess I was waiting until she said "hey Mom, check out my pincer grip!"

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I'm loving this thread and for some reason it's totally cracking me up.  I think it's the thought of all these babies discovering food and trying to figure it out.  Just such a cute image.

Where is the best place to buy those mesh teethers you can put food into?  I had never heard of them until reading it here, and am not sure where to buy.

Around the time when your babies tried puffs, did people here also give chunkier foods, or still pureed?  The other day I mashed up a banana and was totally paranoid about mashing it so that there were NO clumps, meanwhile DD was STRAINING in her high chair trying to get to it!  Can I give her little clumps of banana?  (she's almost 7 mo.)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

hey poppy, a friend of mine just told me about the mesh teethers.. she said it's at babies r us and i think it's made by sassy.  :-)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

^ Yep.  That's where mine are from. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Poppy, I gave DS slices of banana, quartered this past weekend.  He did really well.  They ended up being the size, maybe slightly smaller than my thumbnail.  I tried watermelon last night, also about the same size.  Very funny faces about the texture :-)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

IPW - my DS did the same thing with the texture of watermelon but enjoyed it.  He also liked pineapple when I gave it to him in the teether but that night he was off the wall crazy so I think we will hold off on pineapple again.  Maybe do it as an afternoon snack or something!

I have been giving DS chunkier food for about a month now (he is 8 1/2 months).  I still give him pureed food though. My pedi at our 6 month appt. said to start giving him puffs, cheerios and small soft foods by 9 months.  He also told me to start him on a sippy cup. I know they say wait for the pincer grasp but I don't think DS would ever have gotten the pincer grasp without starting the puffs and stuff.

I was so hesitant because I am so afraid of choking and when I started I would only do it when DH was home so someone else would be there if he started choking.  Knock on wood he has not yet.  This morning he was helping me eat my oatmeal instead of his own!

He is so into the food now it is very exciting!  But he is wanting to nurse less which makes me a little nervous.  A couple of nights before going down to bed he didn;t want to nurse and then today and he didn't want to nurse.  He only gets breakfast, lunch and dinner though mand we just started lunch this week.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Oh update to subscribe and save!!!  They now won't do the free 2 day shipping on your first order, so watch out because you could end up in a situation like mine where the diapers I ordered on Tuesday now won't be there until next Tuesday and I need them today.  So there, now I need to make a 45 minute drive to go buy some.  (I'm at my in-laws).  

Anyway, we bought our mesh feeders (munchkin brand) at Amazon.

Sections
Shortcuts