Pumping Questions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from newmomma. Show newmomma's posts

Pumping Questions

I have to go to an off-site meeting in a few weeks and will be without my lovely pumping room.   There is no way that I can last from the morning feed until after the meeting without pumping.  I think that my only option is to pump in the car.  Has anyone done this and can offer any advice?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Re: Pumping Questions

Is this a company sponsored offsite meeting, or a go meet with clients sort of meeting? Because if it is an event your company is holding, you could always ask HR if they could provide a pumping area. If you are going to meet with clients, that isn't so much of an option. I never pumped in my car (didn't have the car adaptor) but I did pump "on the go" a few times.

Once was at a companywide offsite, and they had a large auditorium for the meeting, but a small room that could be used to pump. (we had a bunch of pumping moms at the time, our Mothers Room was always booked solid, and I am guessing one of them was in HR or involved in the meeting planning,, since I didn't need to ask, the info about the meeting included a note that a room was available for pumping)

I have also pumped in a bathroom - not ideal, but for a quick "just to get through the next few hours" it worked.
    I also heard a woman pumping in the restroom at my work the other day - she was a visitor. I told her that if she wanted to use our Mothers Room, I'd show her where it was, and that in the future, she could probably ask the receptionist to see if it was booked (we use an electronic calendar system to book our Mothers room) next time.
    So if you are visiting a company that would reasonalby be expected to have a space already, it doesn't hurt to ask.Laughing

As far as pumping in the car, I think it would be easiest to sit in the passengers or back seat, just to have room for the pump without hitting the steering wheel. Also, you might want to bring a cover if the parking lot is very public. I've nursed in a parking lot with DD, and I felt somewhat exposed, even though I had to uncover a lot less to nurse than I need to expose when I pumped.
    HTH

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from grimalkin. Show grimalkin's posts

I EP and have pumped just about everywhere - airport bathroom floors, our car both driving and parked, plane bathrooms midflight, etc... 

Pumping in the car was probably the least troublesome of the above.  Just park somewhere as private as possible and maybe bring something to hang in the window, or use a breastfeeding cover. Sitting in the backseat affords more privacy. If you have a Medela PISA, you can either use the battery pack (does take a ton of batteries as someone already mentioned), or they sell a car adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter.

Hopefully they have a spare office that they could offer you instead. If you are debating bathroom vs car, my choice would be the car. I always find it embarassing and uncomfortable to pump in a bathroom due to the sound of the pump, hygiene and physical comfort. (My rear starts to hurt after sitting on the toilet for more than a couple of minutes!)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

I've pumped pretty much everywhere too.  I'm a CPA and travel to my clients during the year.  Bathrooms, airplanes, car, closets, and the occasional nice mothers' room.  As everyone said, just bring a cover and make sure you either have enough batteries or a car adapter.  Fair warning, if you use a car adapter, turn the suction down... for some reason you get way more power with the car adapter.  Conversely I have to turn the suction up when I use the battery pack. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from newmomma. Show newmomma's posts

Thanks ladies.  I'll be bringing the nursing cover and hang out in the back seat of the car.  It's not the most glamorous situation, but what about pumping is ;)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Yeah, I pumped in the car quite a bit.  And, everyone will freak out at me over this.  I pumped and drove.  I was in the car (front drivers seat in a private spot at work) and I had to race off for an emergency and I had just gotten started pumping.  I arranged my scarf over me and off I went.  Thank god for those hands-free bras.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongirl88. Show bostongirl88's posts

I pump and drive all the time. It's great and gives me more time at home with my baby and DH. Pumping in the car in a parking lot is a breeze. Like others have said, sit in the backseat so you will be more comfortable. I usually still sit in the driver's seat and just put a nursing cover on. I don't care if there are ppl around me. It's like 2nd nature to me now - pumping in public. I'm surprised I have never seen another mama pump in public (or maybe I just haven't noticed cuz we are such a discreet bunch!). It's a shame society is so ashamed about mothers and their roles. Mothers should not have to hide and be secretive about giving their babies milk (bottle or tap!).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: Pumping Questions:
    I pump and drive all the time.
    Posted by bostongirl88

ha ha ha! Can you imagine getting pulled over?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongirl88. Show bostongirl88's posts

You can't get a ticket for pumping and driving. ;)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Oh, I didn't mean that -- I meant if you got pulled over for something else and the cop looked in to see you with this weird borg contraption strapped to your bra. I can't imagine what he or she would think! I remember my first reaction to pumping stuff, particularly the hands-free getup -- I just kept laughing and laughing and saying, "you've GOT to be kidding me." I don't know what I expected, but it wasn't that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Boston, I'm glad I'm not the only one.  Pumping was such a part of my life that it never distracted me at all.  I got bashed on here a while back for doing the deed but there are so many other idiots that talk and drive and are way worse than us!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from newmomma. Show newmomma's posts

When I pump at work, I usually bring my Kindle along with me for some reading.  I've been going through books like crazy lately.  I'll be missing the Kindle when I pump in the car. 

I can't even begin to imagine the reaction of a cop pulling a mom over who was pumping.  It would be hilarious, not the getting pulled over part, but the cop's face :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I have had to go to things, both work meetings and stuff like weddings, where I've pumped in the car (although I have not attempted driving!).
    I actually kind of like it!  You can look out the windows and it's kind of peaceful.  Definitely, definitely better than a bathroom.
    Definitely go with either the passenger seat or the back seat.  I've used a nursing cover but now I use a sweater or light blanket.
    I also have the Medela pump in style and I've used (a) the battery pack that takes the 8 AA batteries, and (b) an outlet adapter thing that turns your cigarette lighter into an outlet.  The adapter thing didn't come with the pump; it's just something we had.  Both worked fine!  Enjoy!

Sections
Shortcuts