Pumping Schedule at Work

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from echeri. Show echeri's posts

Pumping Schedule at Work

Hi Moms-
    I'm returning to work (full time) in 2 weeks and I'm wondering for those who pump while at work, how often and at what times are you pumping?  It seems that LCs recommend a pump session for every missed feeding, which would be 3X for my DD, but I'm wondering if I can get away with two sessions.  Just curious what others are doing.
    Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Re: Pumping Schedule at Work

I am in week 2 back full time, and pumping 2 times a day.  I exclusively pump, so it might be a little different.  I pump in the AM before I leave for work, then around 11 and again around 2:30.  I pump for 15 minute intervals each time...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

I pump 2x a day, around 11 and 3.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

I exclusively pumped, so I'm not sure how it compares with a combination of nursing/pumping... but I pumped twice at work each day.  Usually around noon and then again at 4:00 or 5:00. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

I don't want to hijack, but what kinds of rooms are you ladies actually pumping in (if you don't have an office door to close)?  Bathrooms?  Private rooms?  Family rooms?  I'm worried my office has nothing more than a bathroom stall for me to pump when my time comes. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I pumped twice a day when I first went back, then had to up it to 3X when DD got bigger (around 5 -6 months) then was able to cut back to twice a day when she started eating more solid foods ~10 months.

Including set up and clean up, I was usually 25-30 minutes per session, and my work has a "mother's room" that could be booked on our calendaring system. I didn't have any really set times, I tried to work around meetings and also other mom's bookings, so some days I would pump around 9:30 and 3:30 (widest split) others I would have closer to 11 and 2, or anyhting between. When I did 3 sessions, my last one was ususally around 4:30, right before heading home. I tried to keep at least 2-3 hours between sessions, but sometimes I could only get 1.5 hours between sessions, and I usually had less milk at those times. 

The room I used had a hospital grade pump that I didn't use, because I didn't know we had a pump until after I had gotten an incompatible brand. But it also had a sink and mini fridge and some cupboards to store things in. All in all a great setup. Now if only it wasn't always kept so darn cold, I might have hated pumping a little less.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ElmiraGulch. Show ElmiraGulch's posts

I was uncomfortable if I did not pump three times a day. My ideal schedule was 9:30, 12:30, and 3:30. To save time, I kept my cooler and supplies (pump, cleaning solution, rinse water, wastewater container)  with me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

I pump 3X a day in a vacant office.  It takes me about 15 minutes per session and I do it about every 3 hours.

LILsprout- I don't know how anyone could pump in a bathroom stall.  You need to put the bottles down on something and it's so germy in those.  I also heard from an LC at NWH that it's a law that employers must provide a non-bathroom space for nursing mothers to pump.  Maybe you should as your HR person or office manager.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

When I went back to work, my twin were 2 months.  I started with pumping 3 times (10, 1 and 4), then dropped down to 2 times (10 and 3).  Then I felt like my supply was dropping, so I started usinf fenugreek and went back to pumping 3 times a day.  Now both babies (4 months yesterday) have decided that bottles are much better than fresh from the source (I've never been able to supply all there food so they are used to formula/breat milk mix) and so I've been heading towards weaning them off breast milk completly.  I'm now down to 1 sessions at work.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

When I first went back to work, I did a 3x daily pumping schedule but like someone else said, I found that I got about the same output with 2x as I did with 3x.  My original schedule was:
    BF 5:30 am
    Pump 9:00
    Pump noon
    Pump 3:00
    BF 6:00 pm

When I dropped one of the pump sessions, I did 10:00 and 2:00 instead.  (I was working an 8-4 schedule with about 1 hr commute to and from work).

I was fortunate to have my own office so I didn't really take a break, I just closed my door, began pumping and most of the time I kept working (computer based work, either reading or typing).  Although, I'll admit to occasionally surfing over here. :-)

In the case of office workers, it really is in the employer's best interest to provide a private office with a computer...that way women could work through the pumping session without having to take too much time.  Note:  I realize that not everyone works in an office and I also realize that some women have problems with let down if they are not fully relaxed.  To each their own...I had supply problems from the get go, and for me it really made no difference if I relaxed or worked through it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I'm glad you started this thread, echeri - I've just started back and am currently navigating the pumping-at-work waters.

I've been 1/2 days this week and have pumped twice in my 9:30am-1:30pm schedule.  Feels like I"m pumping all day long!  I imagine once I'm back full time I'll pump 3 times, but I can see that becoming difficult on a particularly busy day.  Thus far, I've been getting approx 4oz each pumping session, which is not enough for a day's worth of bottles for DD and she's run through the reserve already!  Like IPW, I think I'm going to end up having to supplement with some formula.  IPW - did your DS take to it ok?

Lil - if your company has more than 50 employees I believe it's MA law that there must be a private room for pumping... check it out with HR.

There is an empty office with a door in my unit, and thank goodness there are blinds on all the windows.  Once someone moves in there, I guess I'll have to use the "pumping cubicle" in HR.  It has a door, but... it's a cubicle.  No privacy at all.  But better than the bathroom!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

We have a mother's room at my workplace - actually at least 2 of them, but maybe more.  I've heard that you need to sign up and schedule when you'll use it, so I'm definitely curious/worried to see how that works out when I come back from leave!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I do twice each day, around 10 AM and 3 PM.  She eats more often than that (3 or 4 times), but I have been able to match the quantities.  I am lucky because since I only pump (and work away from home) three days per week, I think that helps me to keep consistent with what she's doing.

LilSprout, don't accept the bathroom without pushing.  It will be awful and near impossible.  Plus, as others have mentioned, it may be illegal.  The way I read the law (link below), even if your company has fewer than 50 employees (at ALL their sites combined!) they still have to provide a place unless it would cause them "undue hardship":
    http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs73.pdf

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

Oh, and a time saving tip that been posted here before...

You don't have to clean all the parts after each session.  You can put the parts (but not the pump itself) in a ziploc bag and store in a refrigerator or insulated cooler bag. Then just clean once at the end of the day.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Lil - like Medford and Trouble said, it's pretty much impossible to pump in a bathroom stall.  You need at least one flat (clean) surface to put the pump and supplies, and if you have an electric pump you need to plug it in.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

I work from 8-3 and DD drinks 3 5oz bottles in my absence.   At work, I pump twice usually around 10:30 and 1:30.  I also pump in the evening.  My supply is usually lower in the beginning of the week so I'll power pump after I feed her but towards the end of the week, I only have to pump once in the evening when she's sleeping.  I'm fortunate to have my own office and similar to Notanewbie, I use the time to catch up on emails and phone calls. 

I have a fairly good supply and I've never been able to pump what she's needed in fewer sessions.  I wish I could because I detest pumping.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from aidansmama. Show aidansmama's posts

Like this.....
    BF between 4 and 6 am
    9:30 pump
    12:30 pump
    3:30 pump
    BF 6:30 or 7 and throughout the rest of the night
    I do not get a ton of milk out of the third pumping session (2 -3 oz max) but it's important to pump to keep stimulating your milk production, is what I'm told.  My son takes three bottles while I'm at work, so I pump three times.  I've been back to work for 7 weeks now and so far I've been able to replenish the frozen milk that my son drinks while I'm away each day.  I'm lucky, my company is supportive and I have access to a empty office in which I keep all of my pumping stuff - we call it my pumping station ;) .  I'm hoping I can keep it up and not have to put him on formula.  PP should not have to be pumping in the bathroom - how unpleasant!  It's against the law too.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

I had the same experience as several others noted, where I didn't really get much more pumping 3X than 2X... and I had MUCH better success overall when I was only working 3 days per week.  After I went back FT (@ 6mths or so) I was eating and drinking water like crazy to keep my supply up (it did make a difference) 

I only pumped in a bathroom once and it was a single stall with a locked door when I had to go to one of our other offices for an afternoon.  I usually used an empty office and was able to leave my stuff there for the day, which made it easier.  One time my boss at the time asked me if he could let a visitor use the office for a few days, and use the bathroom.  I asked him how often he fed his kid in the bathroom... he found another office for the visitor :) 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

IPW, are you giving your son ready to eat formula or the powder?  When we had to start supplementing, we started with the ready to eat, and found that when we switched to the powder, she had a much easier time with the bottles.  The ready to eat looked like coffee milk to me, but the powder (we use Enfamil, just switched from Newborn to Infant) looks a lot more like breastmilk/cow's milk. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from echeri. Show echeri's posts

Thanks everyone for your input! I have a decent freezer stash, so I will start with twice and then try three if my supply seems to be dwindling.  Did anyone ever try to pump before leaving the house, in addition to feeding their LO in the AM?  I'm always very full in the morning since DD sleeps through most nights, so I'm thinking I may either pump before or after I feed her in the morning as a third pump session...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

With my oldest, I would pump for 5-10 mins at 5:30 am (cuz I'd be engorged after her sleeping through the night)  and then nurse her.  She seemed to be fine with it. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from newmomma. Show newmomma's posts

i pump 3x times a day, usually between 9 and 10, and then about every three hours. 

i also have to pump in the morning, since my little guy sleeps through the night. 

ot, but i was really sick earlier this week and noticed that my supply has gone down a bit.  it's not drastically lower, i am still putting back into the freezer what i take out, but usually i am up 5 oz or so.  any ideas if my supply will come back?  or what i can do to get it back?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from merilisa. Show merilisa's posts

I usually pump twice, much like another poster, at 11 and at 3.  You might try going into work a little earlier, pump, then start your day, pump again at 11 and again at 3.  Your needs will change as your baby grows.  My baby is 11 months old now and my milk is pretty much a snack for him compared with all the other things he eats and drinks, but I still think it is very important for him. 

Of course, in my business, the only way I get a break is to need to go pump, to the point that I will confess my recent decision to keep going past 12 months is that I really enjoy getting away from the front!  This from someone who pumps exclusively and brings her baby to work with her (family business!)