Question for EPers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Question for EPers

So I'm nearing the end of my stint as an EPer... DS will turn 1 in less than 2 weeks.  Ironically, my supply has been increasing the past few days.  Go figure.  Anyway, my question is, how do I stop pumping?  I had planned to pump up until his birthday, but then do I just stop and deal with engorgement for a day or two?  Advice would be appreciated!  

OMG - I can't wait and I can't believe I made it through these past 3.5 months!  :)  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Re: Question for EPers

OK, I'm totally not an EP'er so feel free to ignore me!  (And also, kudos to you.  That's amazing!)
    I would NOT stop cold turkey.  I would wean it off gradually, dropping one pump per day and then waiting a few days or a week.  Or perhaps stretching out the time between when you pump.
    I'm just speaking from my experience of stopping BFing in general, and also reducing and then stopping the pumping I did at work or if I went out.  Gradual is easier on your body.  A plugged duct is SO horrible - avoid if possible!  :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Woo Hoo! Congrats, Trouble, for making it to one year. I agree that you want to reduce a little more slowly. I took about 3 weeks to wean from the pump for DS#1 when I was EP'ing. I was at only three sessions per day--morning, lunch, before bed. So, I dropped the lunch first, for about a week. Then stopped the morning next (hallelulah!), again for a week. Then finally the nighttime pump. I think I only waited 4-5 days on that one because DS was already taking WCM like a champ.

Not to hijack (too much), but I am hoping to not pump once I return to school in the fall. (DS #2 has a late September birthday.) I still want to maintain my morning and nighttime BF sessions for the foreseeable future, though. Any other advice on making that transition? Anyone introduce WCM milk in the 11th month? (I have some freezer stash that I can use up to mix with the WCM as we make the transition.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I only EPed for 8 weeks so I'm in awe of you doing 12 months!That said, when I stopped my OB told me to cut out a session every 3 or 4 days. So drop the one you hate the most first and work your way off the pump.
    Congrats again!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Congrats on making it to 1 year Trouble!  I EP'd for my DD from birth to 6 months and it took every ounce of my being (pun intended!) to make it just that far.  Putting the pump away for the last time brought on tears of joy!  :)

But I will second what medford said... definitely don't just stop.  I cut out one session per day every 3 days or so.  I think I started with eliminating one mid-day session at work and went from there.  I gradually took about 1.5-2 weeks or so to be done.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Thanks for the advice!  Don't be too in awe as I've only done it for the past 3.5 months.  I doubt I could do much longer! It is not fun at all.

I'm actually pumping quite a bit now, like 6 times a day, so I think increasing the time between sessions would probably work to eliminate some sessions.  

No, I do not want clogged ducts!!!!  They are horrible.

I just can't wait to put the pump back on the shelf for good!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

6 times per day!!  No wonder you can't wait to put the pump on the shelf.

Kiwi, the transition to morning and night BFing only went more smoothly than I expected, and we did it like that from about 13 months old to 21 months old before going to AM only.
    I used the "don't offer don't refuse" plan, starting right about 12 months.  It probably took about 3 weeks.  I tried to proactively offer other food and water during that time so that she wouldn't be as inclined to ask.
    Other people say to drop one feeding at a time, but we were never on that clear of a schedule, so "don't offer don't refuse" worked better for us.  I think we were kind of lucky, though, and she was ready.  For a while she had actually been refusing bottles during the day (or only taking a tiny bit), even though she was still keen on nursing on days I was with her.  So she only needed a little help.  GL!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

Kiwi - I transitioned the twins to WCM (which I am assuming is whole cow milk) at 11 months when my formula ran out. I wasn't buying more for just a few weeks.  There were no issues at all.  I think I mixed half formula(BM for you)/half WCM for a day or two but then it was straight WCM all the time.  WCM can be more binding though so I'd be on the look out for p00p issues.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Hi Kiwi, I started DD on WCM in the 11th month.  One day I just up and replaced a bottle with a sippy of milk.  The next week, I replaced another bottle with a sippy.  Didn't do any mixing or run into problems.  At that point, I was pumping once at work, supplementing with formula, and doing am/pm feedings.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlmostHere08. Show AlmostHere08's posts

Congrats, Trouble! DD will be 1 in 6 weeks!!! I am looking forward to not having to pump at work anymore. I pump 3 times a day at work now. Just stopped the morning pump again this week. Hoping to cut down to 2 pumps at work two weeks before DD birthday. She is still nursing when I am home and all night long(every 3 hours)!!!!! I have about 60oz in the freezer so hopefully I can stretch those over the time I have left so I don't have to dump any of it. I'll mix to finish it off. The beginning of July I got rid of the bottles and she strictly takes sippy cups. I've noticed a huge decline in what she takes during the day for BM since then. She was giving me a 5-6 hour stretch of sleep at night until I did that, but I don't want to go back to the bottles. I am hoping WCM will help us transition to longer sleep at night!!! Then we'll have to work on the going to bed still awake task (I nurse her to sleep now).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongirl88. Show bostongirl88's posts

I EP'd for 10 months and froze enough that I had to donate gallons of them to other families. At my peak I was pumping around 55-60 oz/day - that was at 4 pumps/day. When I started weaning I spaced my pumps out more and didn't pump until empty. It took me about 2-3 wks to totally wean. I was at 2 pumps for a week and then 1 pump for a few days.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlmostHere08. Show AlmostHere08's posts

Wow, Boston!!! That's awesome.

Sections
Shortcuts