Rear facing height limits on Convertible Carseats?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Rear facing height limits on Convertible Carseats?

My DD is at the height limit of her infant only carseat (30 inches). She is a year old, but only 20 lbs. so I would like to keep her rear facing in a convertible seat, but I haven't seen any information on height limits for convertible seats in the rear-facing position. All the info is on weight limits. Does anyone know what, if any limits there are, or of a site that compares them between carseats?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbracer39. Show tbracer39's posts

Re: Rear facing height limits on Convertible Carseats?

I don't think there is a height limit. I read a study recently saying you should be keeping your child in a rear facing car seat until 2. I was able to find this link quickly.
    http://babyproducts.about.com/od/carseats/qt/rear_facing.htm
     Not sure how reliable the website is (found in a google search) but I know when I read the article initially it was from a more reliable source.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

I don't think there is a specific limit either (at least on the convertible seats).  The limit seems to be related to the length/height of the infant seats which are made for smaller babies.  Here's some info I found:

Height Limits:

• There should be at least one inch between the top of the child’s head and the top of the car seat. Because some kids have longer legs and others longer torsos, it's impossible to give a height limit in terms of the child’s total height (since it's only the torso height that matters).
    • Note: the child’s feet touching the back of the vehicle seat is perfectly OK and does NOT indicate that the child is too tall for rear-facing.
    from http://www.thecarseatlady.com/car_seats/rear-facing_seats_5.html

Also check carseat.org and car-seat.org for more detailed FAQs and discussion boards.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mags2008. Show mags2008's posts

My pedi told me that she is fine in an infant car seat until she is 1 and height is not an issue, so I am doing that even though she is very long

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

The seat I have lists a 30 inch height limit right on the side, and the manual (as well as her pedi) say that when her head gets to 1 inch below the top, it is time for a new seat. She is at that point, so I want to get a convertible seat.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

I think it depends on what convertible car seat you have. Our, Britax Boulevard says until child is 1 inch from top of back seat. The longer they go rear facing the safer.  Check with your car seat manufacturer to find out their specific limits.

For those who have switched to forward facing, does your child protest getting in the car seat? DS fights and cries so hard not to go into the car seat- we can't find anything to make it uncomfortable for him, just think it's a "phase" thing. Wondering if it's less of a struggle forward facing...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zorceres. Show zorceres's posts

KAM2001: The protests might be that he is "bored" rear-facing and hopefully when he can go to forward facing it will end.  Our DD hated the rear-facing car seat and loves it now that she is forward facing.  She sits by herself and insists on buckling herself off.  She can enjoy the view, see us, etc.  Since she moved to forward facing we've had no problems :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

My DH was just reading me an article on when to switch from rear facing to front facing last night.  It said that the safest is to keep them rear facing for as long as possible.  In fact, it suggested teaching the child to cross their legs if they are too tall.  In Sweden it's the law to keep them rear-facing until 3!  Safety definitely should override boredom, and if they've never faced front, how do they know what their missing? 

I don't speak from experience as I'm just preggo with my first, but thought I'd post because we were just talking about it!  :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from corsetkitty. Show corsetkitty's posts

I don't think that there is a height limit or that it would be a factor considering that convertible carseats are supposed to last until they're 4 and big enough to switch to a booster seat.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

When I was looking, the height limit on most of them was 40" or higher. 

Since convertible seats are usually good for 5 - 35 lbs. rear-facing, I would imagine the lower-end of the height limit is pretty small.  The seats I was looking at had a height limit of 40" but didn't specify forward or backward-facing.  There were others that had limits of 49".  If there's a seat or two that you're seriously considereing, you could always call the manufacturer(s) and ask.  I know Britax has a nice tool on their website where you can put in your child's age, height and weight and it will give you a list of the seats that will work and you can compare side-by-side, but I don't know if other manufacturers have anything similar.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Thanks for all your help. Over the weekend I went to Magic Beans and got a Sunshine Kids Radian XTSL carseat that is red and black (totally matches my red car with black interior). It should fit DD rear facing for quite a while, (35 lbs, or again, until her head is 1 in from top) since her head is way below the top in this much larger carseat, I am confident that she will be forward facing long before she is too tall. I am glad she will be in a proper sized seat, although it has only been two days and I am already wondering how to keep her contained in the morning as my husband and I get our shoes/coats on, since I don't have the carseat to "park" her in. Any suggestions on that?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Amy-lynn:  Do you have a pack n' play?  A "Superyard" would work too, but they're expensive new (although there are always a bunch on craigslist used).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

We use the high chair to contain DS while getting last minute stuff together when going out. It works for us since our high chair is in the kitchen and the back door is right off of that area.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Pack-n-play might work, but it is a tight fit, especially right now as we have a Christmas tree up in our living room. I'm not sure if the high chair would lead her to expect a snack/breakfast? We pretty much only put her there for mealtimes, so I don't know if she associates it with getting food. I can always try it, and see what happens.
    Thanks!

Sections
Shortcuts