Refusing the bottle

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Refusing the bottle

DS is 7wks and up until a few weeks ago he was taking a bottle of pumped milk just fine. He took one from me once, but the rest of the time DH feeds him.  We were using Dr. Brown's bottles and I switched to the playtex b/c of the nipple being more like the breast.  It seemed to work for one feeding but now he's back to screaming. He usually takes the first ounce pretty well, but when you stop to burp him, he screams and won't take any more. It's like he realized that it's not the breast. It's a screaming fit through the rest of the feeding, he calms down enough to eat, realizes its a bottle and gets mad.

I know that this can happen where they are fine with the bottle and then start to refuse it.  What do I do?  I would like him to take one so I can leave the house for longer than 2 hrs and also so he will take one when I'm back at work.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Re: Refusing the bottle

Apologies if this sounds like too obvious an answer, but have you tried going back to Dr. Browns if that worked for you before?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

We went through this around the same time.  I think they start to become aware of the world and realize the situation.
    We tried all manner of bottles and tricks.  The Tommee Tippee seemed to be the best for us, but other people have other experiences.
    Honestly, the thing that ended up working the best was time and keep offering it.  Keep at it once a day and it will most likely work out within a couple of weeks.
    I know that is easier said than done -- it's so hard to hear them cry.  :(  I was positive I was scarring her for life, but she ended up taking the bottle fine after a couple of weeks and she is totally happy now.  :)

The one concrete thing that really helped us was to make the bottle very, very warm.  Like fresh from the source warm, not just lukewarm.  We would microwave the water and then put the bottle in it.  That helped to kick start us and now we have been able to relax on that as well.
    Best of luck!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Ditto the warm bottle.  That helped us when DD was refusing.  Also, it helped if she was distracted.  Probably sounds terrible, but at the beginning when she was screaming at bottle we put the tv on and it distracted her enough that she'd stop screaming and take bottle.  After a couple of weeks we experimented with stopping the tv and she was fine.

Good luck!  It's very frustrating and upsetting, but it will get better.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

DD was pretty good when we started a daily bottle, but when she did fuss we found that timing was everything.  She fussed the least when we gave her a bottle immediately after she woke up, while she was maybe still a little sleepy.  Sneak attack!

What if you waited longer to burp, like 2 oz?  May not make a difference, but you never know!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

This happened to DD and we believe that it was her belly bothering her.  We switched to sensative formula, and born free bottles. Not sure which one it was but it helped the situation.

It could also be that you are burping him too soon and he is starving and gets all worked up that he will not calm down again to drink it?

I dont agree the warm bottle but thats just me.  What if you are someplace and you cant heat it up?  I never wanted DD to get into habit.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I should have said - we don't need to warm the bottle anymore.  It just seemed necessary during that refusal time.  After that first couple of weeks she stopped being as picky. Now she's fine with room temp bottle.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Same as Poppy.  We don't need to warm it up so much now; just during the time when it was being refused until she got comfortable with it again.
    I think if the baby is primarily nursing, it's already a habit to have a warm meal.  So to get the bottles going, it helped to eliminate as many other variables as possible, like temperature.  Then we could ease off the warming once it was going well.  Like Poppy easing off TV!  :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Thanks for the tips, we'll try it out! One of the problems may also be DH always feeds him the bottle after work, which may not be the best time to feed him. I have only been pumping right before to give him a bottle because of allergies to my milk.  I can't give him milk that's a few days old incase something I ate bothers him. I should try to do the morning pumping again so that I have the milk on hand.  We switched to the playtex bottles after he already was refusing the bottle, so I don't think it is that.  

Sections
Shortcuts