Religious Services

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bripat. Show bripat's posts

Religious Services

My husband and I are planning on returning to attending mass (have to admit that we have not been the best Catholics for sometime.)  We have a very active 2 1/2 year old that I want to bring to mass but I cannot imagine will sit still for anytime.  We are open to exploring different churches to find a good fit for our family.  Anyone attend a Catholic service that has a good family component?  We live in Dedham
    Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Re: Religious Services

Holy Name in W. Rox has a wonderful family mass, at 9 AM.  They use the children's liturgy, so only 2 readings instead of three, have CCD and Holy Name students serve as the readers/ushers/servers, have the children's choir sing, and it's over in about 40 minutes.  Very family friendly!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

Not in the area but some suggestions for getting through Mass--pick up a simple children's bible or bible storybooks, or one of the Where's Waldo type puzzle books about Jesus or the Saints (can't remember the name, something like Can You Find Jesus), something for them to look at and do that's religious and only comes out for church.  If you don't have a Catholic bookstore near you order online from Paulist Press, they have a lot of good kids' books.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from marriedmom. Show marriedmom's posts

I am not near you, so I can't suggest a parish, but I can tell you that I have some all-natural lollipops that work wonders during the homily. Only problem is my 4yo is eating his too fast these days. ;)

Good luck. We are all about puzzles and books, and some days go better than others. I used to feel bad about bringing occasionally disruptive kids to mass, but my (young) priest told me that children are the most welcome of all at mass. So we do our best to keep them quiet and happy, but I don't stress about maintaining silence.

Curious to know what age parents expect kids to sit quietly without toys, etc. I am thinking that I will expect this in first grade, since they'll be in CCD, they should start paying attention. We'll see... :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

It isn't really close, but St. Francis Xavier Parish in South Weymouth has a 9:30 family mass. they often have donut holes and juice after, which is a great way to meet others.  they are amazing there, I have made it through several masses walking DS up and down the outside isle.

I would also suggest that you check out the "screaming room" at your local parish. many of the churches have them- a place to bring a child who is being disruptive... (or sit in the back like we do.)

Sections
Shortcuts