Rolling over wake up

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lilmomma2be. Show lilmomma2be's posts

Rolling over wake up

I'm looking for any helpful tips on what to do! My baby is just 4 months old, and we were starting to make progress with his sleeping at night, until... Last night he started rolling halfway over, so his body is on its side, and his face is smooshed into his crib mattress, and he wakes up and starts crying hysterically. Do I help him learn to roll all the way over as quickly as possible so he can sleep comfortably on his tummy, or do I go in and put him back on his back repeatedly all night? Do I buy one of those contraptions that holds them in place in the crib?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kiwiguy. Show Kiwiguy's posts

Re: Rolling over wake up

Hey lilmomma2be. Our son is 6 months and did exactly the same thing. Naturally my wife was anxious about him rolling on to his tummy during the night, but he has taken to it well. He actually likes to lay on his side to sleep when possible.

When he first started rolling, he'd wake up crying and I'd go in and gently roll him back onto his back. One night in particular I must have come to his "rescue" at least every 5 minutes in an hour. I told my wife that I was going to put a velcro strip on the back of his pajama's, with the other velcro half on his sheet to keep him in place. I was only half joking (and I was sleep deprived).

When we spoke with the pediatrician about possible dangers, he simply said that babies will find their own center of gravity and go to that on their own. Some babies like to stay on their backs. Others like to be on their side, and others prefer their tummy. No matter, he said, your baby will find a way to be in a comfortable position.

So we never used anything to keep him in place, and after a few nights (well, a couple of weeks maybe), our son settled into his prefered arrangement. He actually likes to roll to his side or tummy most of the time now, and we found he was upset not because he was face down, but because he was right up against the side of the crib. Because he always rolls the same way, we actually put him down on his back close to the other side of the crib so when he rolls he is well clear of the sides. He is perfectly happy with that.

I'll finish this short novel with the obvious advice. We make sure that their are no loose items in his crib, and the sheet sits flat down on his firm matress. We regularly check on him to make sure his head is well turned to the side so he has a clear breathing passage. In the early days, if he was face down (usually crying), I'd always roll him back for safety. Good luck!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Hi mama,

It sounds like your baby is a little ahead of the curve in rolling! It sounds like he's trying to get onto his belly and getting frustrated that he can't make it the whole way. I wouldn't help him roll over -- babies should only stomach-sleep when they're able to roll on their own -- but I would give him plenty of tummy time to help him develop the upper body strength to reach his goal.

Please don't get him a sleep positioner. Consumer Reports has listed them as one of the 5 most dangerous baby products and a likely contributer to SIDS.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Most likely it is a stage that will resolve itself shortly.  I would work on rolling and what he should do with his head during the day though to help speed up him being able to get himself more comfortable.  Also, if you are concerned about him sleeping on his stomach you can call your Pedi to see what they recommend.

DD went though this stage, although mainly during nap time.  She learned to roll from her back to stomach but could not get back.  There was a good week when she would wake up on her side or stomach and be mad that she could not get back.  I would try and quietly roll her back to her back and she would normally go back to sleep.  This could go on several times during a 1 hour nap.  After about a week she started to prefer to be on her stomach and would immediately roll onto her stomach when I would put her on her back.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

rolling and teething at 4 months -- what a precocious little guy!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hot-tomato. Show hot-tomato's posts

Hi lilmomma -- DS started rolling over and sleeping on his tummy at a pretty early age. I think if you're finding your little guy stuck on his side, it makes sense to roll him back on his back -- but you may have a stomach sleeper on your hands once he figures out how to roll all the way over. Our pedi said if our little guy was determined to sleep on his stomach, there's not much to do about it. And now he's 4 and still usually sleeps on his tummy. Hope you get some sleep soon--these phases usually resolve themselves quickly!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

Ok, I'm literally reading this thread, thinking about how my 4 month old son has been "spinning" in his crib since we moved him to it a few weeks ago (he starts facing one direction, and in the morning he's done a 180 so that his feet are where his head had been) and how we've never actually managed to catch him in the act.  I flip on the video monitor, look at it, and there he is, halfway through his spin, ON HIS SIDE!!  I now see how terrifying it is to see your baby that way, and I'm panicking that he's going to land on his face and not be able to breathe.  He has made ZERO efforts to roll over when he's awake (which my pediatrician said not to worry about because he's a big baby, and he said they often roll later, because it's harder), so I can't BELIEVE he's doing this in his SLEEP.  I'm definitely freaked out now...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

p.s. He also started full-on teething last weekend.  Add him to the precocious 4 month old category, I guess!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Kaydo, my daughter didn't roll over completely until I think 6 months. Only about 50% of babies roll over at 4 months. (babycenter has a really good milestone chart: http://www.babycenter.com/0_milestone-chart-1-to-6-months_1496585.bc)

I laughed when I read your description because I kept picturing the Homer Simpson shoulder spin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJBKyTfCjCc

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

That's exactly how he does it!  Up on his side, legs propelling him forward (and like the other posters have said, he always goes in the same direction).  Hilarious.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Maybe he's breakdancing

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kiwiguy. Show Kiwiguy's posts

Kaydo - Our Peanut spins too.

Informal survey - does he spin clockwise or counterclockwise? Our little guy goes counterclockwise. Maybe we could start a crib dance troupe?

Is synchronized crib spinning an Olympic sport yet?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

Our guy goes counter-clockwise, as well!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kiwiguy. Show Kiwiguy's posts

That begs the question. If I take Peanut to visit his relatives down in New Zealand, will he spin the other way in his sleep??

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

For over 40 years (check old Dr Spocks)  all Moms were told to put babies down on their stomachs to sleep.  Aspiration pneumonias, which were a serious issue in pre- antibiotics days, and certain things like acid reflux, were greatly helped.

The far reduced concerns about babies breathing in a little spit up,  exposure to second had smoke freuently from 2 parent in house smokers,   leading to  pneumonias, and other things medicine mostly resolved,  led to a  major change in Medical statistics.

When big baby killers almost disappeared (whooping cough, many pneumonias) and the rate of second hand smoke effects on baby breathing was greatly reduced,  SIDS was suddenly not an overshadowed minor concern but a major one.

Knowing this, a parent whose baby wants to turn over, and is active even off and on during sleep hours,  2 things which are themselves indicators of lower risk of SIDs) should not worry so much.   Particularly as it often starts after age 4 months, when the biggest spike in numbers of undetermined cause infant deaths  has passed.  The habit of keeping baby cribs free of the kinds of choking hazards and bedding which has reduced deaths will still be helping. 

The baby's increased activity at all times now,  including time spent struggling to turn over  at night,  actually decreases the overall likelihood a baby will drop into the hard to rouse  level of deep sleep  that is the most serious worry  associated with SIDS.

It does not hurt to talk to a pediatrician for peace of mind.
       In nursing, I have been to lectures and early intervention programs where parents are very confused, that after 6 months of pregnancy and 4-5 months infancy,  of constant emphasis, baby sleeps on back,  suddenly  all the health professionals say - oh, the baby turns a few times a night?  Well, that's healthy, let him sleep as he wants.

To most Dr.s and people paid to stay awake all night watching (or researching) babies, it is obvious that babies at this 4-6 month turn to stomach age also  are  scooching up to a creeping position, forearms and knees, precurser to creeping and crawling, maybe rocking forward and back a little exercising those muscles, for 1 to 5 minutes at a time, something parents many not see in the middle of the night.
       As this is  yet another indicator that baby is not unrouseable,  therefore far less likely to have a SIDS concern,  the pediatrician tells parents, sounds fine.

Babies, like adults, have their own patterns and some will semi -wake up for 10 to 20 minutes, shift around, then go to sleep a few times a night, as babies and for their entire lives.

I think some of the intense safety focus on preventing SIDs has kind of warped people's views on what is normal for babies' and children's sleep habits.
       Baby and childbirth classes often stop at - what happens after early infancy?  Leaving parents in limbo.

My personal opinion from nursing, as well as taking care of family and friends babies for years -  too many baby doctors 'just kind of assume"  that parents these days know of the developmental shifts in sleep, ages 4-7 months, for many babies.

Considering the number of Dr. visits for well baby care, shots, and the occasional ailment, it would not hurt a few more doctors to spend a few minutes more talking about normal, expected changes as babies acquire more head and body control.   After all the don't do this, don't do that of pregnancy and early infancy, lots of parents could use some reassurance -  some things are really less likely problems, now, and in fact, very healthy signs.