S-OT: The Marriage Course

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

S-OT: The Marriage Course

Has anyone taken the Marriage Course?

http://www.alphausa.org/Groups/1000056821/About.aspx

It's running near our home and lots of friends have raved about how great it is. I am interested and my husband is willing, but he's concerned about any religious content and message - and exactly what we are supporting by paying for the class.

Specifically, the link on the website links to an anti-abortion video, and absolutely no where is the mention of gay marriage. Neither of us are comfortable with exclusion, I'm just wondering how much of a component religion is in the course, if same-sex couples are welcomed in the course and if you took it, did you enjoy and benefit from it?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: S-OT: The Marriage Course

I know this isn't an answer whatsoever because I have no idea, but my dh and I have strengthened our marriage IMMEASURABLY this year with the book ingot from amazon, Are You Really Listening.  We cut into some tv time and read aloud, but not a lot at a time because we're both tired, but we get a lot out of each short session we spend.  And, we weren't strugging badly, just needed some help communicating as a couple.  I think it literally will have positive ramifications for the rest of our lives...not to sound mellow dramatic, lol, but seriously.  

My mom is an office manager ( her teachng days long past) and after I described how it's working for us, she decided to order copies for the whole office staff to read and then go over as a group.  Not sure if it's really geared toward that, but they will all improve their marriages, anyway. ;)

gl finding out what you really wanted to know here.  Isn't there a contact page on the website?  I'm sure they'd answer your questions directly.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

"I got," not ingot...I'm really having a hard time with autocorrect, and apparently edit isn't available for iPads yet.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I looked at the site, and there is no question that its a Christian-based, biblical marriage counseling course.  All the recommend books are Christian, one of the ways you can support the organization is "pray," etc.  I'd highly doubt they'd turn anyone away, but at the same time, I'd assume it would appeal mainly to fundamental Christians so I wouldn't expect gay couples to choose this particular program.  They probably won't use the Bible outright, but they will assume and not be shy about including the biblical tenants of marriage as outlined in the book of Ephesians as they teach universally generic things like commication tools, etc.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Just to update, I called the woman teaching the class and asked if a same-sex couple would be welcomed to the class and she was edgy about it, suggesting a same sex couple would be welcomes, but not comfortable, which I readily translated to "instructor would not be comfortable" so we told her we would not be attending the class.

But if anyone has any alternative suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

http://www.meetup.com/Secular-Massachusetts/

if you search (top right) on "marriage" and go from there you might find something that suits your  needs.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Shecky, above all Colossians 4:6 and James 3:9-12.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

thanks Kar. :) BTW, I bought the book you recommended. Thinking about saving it for Christmas, but looking forward to working through it with DH.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Fantastic!  We benefit alllll the time for using it, I mean with every time we speak, and I know you will, too - every relationship would benefit.  As an added bonus, the book is also helping dh understand his family dynamic during his formative years and how each of his siblings has carried it forward in different yet related ways as demonstrated in their relationships and self images as adults.

I'm so pumped you got it and can't wait for the update!  Christmas?  No, I can't wait for that!  ;)

Sections
Shortcuts