screaming while eating?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

screaming while eating?

My DD is 2.5 weeks old and the last 3 days she has started screaming while eating.  She doesn't do it at every feeding, though when she does she sounds like she is in terrible pain and there is nothing we can do to soothe her.  Has anyone had a similar experience? Could it be an allergy to something I am eating?  I am going to call the dr. on Monday if it continues.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Re: screaming while eating?

How far into the feeding?  Perhaps she has gas and needs to be burped? 
    Maybe she has an ear infection?  Have you switched perfumes or anything that would make her doubt your identity? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

It could be reflux, too.  My daughter rarely spit up during/after eating, but she would scream not too long after eating.  We used the mylicon drops on the advice of the pedi (and they seemed to help).  We also kept her upright after feeding for at least 1/2 hour.  In any case, it's definitely something to talk to the pedi about b/c it can be managed and if it ends up being really bad, there are stronger meds like tagament and prilosec that can be given (we never got to that with DD).  And as Lissa suggested, ear infections can be the culprit too, so it's definitely worth a call to the pedi.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Don't wait until Monday.  Call them today.  I'm sure they can recommend something.  Why wait until Tuesday (after the holiday).  They might recommend Mylicon which is over the counter (we used this with our twins).  Or they may want to see her.
    Hope she's feeling better soon.
    Good luck!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

I agree with Lily, I would not wait to call the doctor with a baby that young, especially after it has already been 3 days. If you are breastfeeding call the lactation nurse on call today.

My first thought was reflux, keep her as upright as you can while feeding and that may help.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Same thing happened with DD when she was young.  We used Mylicon drops, switched bottles and eventually went to sensative formula.  Oh, and a lot of burping.  It took a while to figure out.  Also, when done eating we kept her upright in her bouncy.  I would call the doctor to see what they recommend. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My mother experienced this with me, and it turns out my digestive system wasn't developed enough to handle much of anything.  I ended up on some weird (and disgusting they tell me) meat-based formula.  I definitely couldn't handle milk or soy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

Thanks everyone.  I did call the doctors's office and the nurse said it sounds like gas.  Hopefully it gets better soon!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Wed, do you notice her arching?  Does she seem to gulp?  If it persists and there is some arching/posturing going on and/or gulping, talk to your pedi about reflux.  I thought DD had gas at first and the typical gas remedies didn't work.  Zantac by Rx did the trick, though.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Wed- My DS does this ALOT. It happens at all different times, but it used to be just in the evening when he was so exhausted that even eating upset him.  I would get him settled and then move him to the breast and he would scream even before latching.  I have a lot of milk too, so sometimes it was because there was too much and he got upset.  If he's crying sometimes if I can calm him enough and get him latched I pat him on the bum while feeding him, this works wonders for him and has helped me through feedings numerous times.  He also did this when I was at the baby cafe, a bf support group so the consultant there saw what he was doing. She took him away and said that even smelling me could make him upset, so she got him calmed down and then we tried again.  She also said that if he misses a feeding it's not the end of the world.   Sometimes just stopping trying to feed him for a while works, then I'll go back and feed him a bit later and he's okay.  
    Also we did gas drops and this helps once in a while.   It's hard to narrow down what the cause is but to sum it up for us it is either
    1. exhaustion
    2. too much milk/fast let down
    3. gas
    4. didn't like what I ate (asparagus or broccoli)

What got me through it was the consultant letting me know that it was okay if he didn't eat, he's not going to starve and give it a break and try again later.  It's very frustrating, but hang in there.  

Sections
Shortcuts