September - Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Re: September - Infants and Toddlers

DS took his first steps yesterday.  11 mths and 1 day!  He was so proud of himself.  He walked about 3-4 steps on his own between me and my MIL.  He did it about 4 times before he quit.  But how cool!  And both DH and I were able to see it!!!

Oh medford.. the throwing.  What IS that all about??!!!  My wet swiffer is used now every single night.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Congrats IPW, what I moment, so glad you were both there to see it!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

IPW - if it makes you feel any better, sometimes I will purposely leave something on the floor that I would normally have picked up, simply to see if DH will notice and pick it up.  the broom (as in dust-pan-and-broom) has been lying on the floor near the litter box (that DH cleans daily) for, oh maybe a week.  He has to step over it to get to the litter box. 

Am I proud of this?  No, but for some reason sometimes I just can't help it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Yay IPW - that is so exciting

Poppy - the broom cracked me

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

Yeah, IPW!  Let the fun begin.
    Poppy, my husband wouldn't see it either

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Does anyone have experience w/ their babies having an inflamed nipple?
     DD is 5 1/2 months and I noticed it tonight when I was getting her PJs on. It is really red, beyond the areola. I plan to call the doctor in the morning - it doesn't seem to be bothering her, no fever, so I think it can wait but I do want to know what it is. When I put a little pressure on it I can feel a little bump. I've never heard or seen this kind of thing so I am hoping one of you will have heard of it. 

thanks!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

When DS was that age he had blood discharge from one nipple.  When I mentioned it at the 6 month visit, the pedi couldn't make it happen and didn't see anything (I forget now what she was looking for but I think it was an infected duct).  In the end, by about 6.5- 7 months it stopped happening at all. HTH

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Help me with this one!  DD is just shy of 11 months old.  She's been sleeping well for most of her life; been a pretty consistent 8-6or7 sleeper, with one long (2 hrs) and 1 short (45-1hr) nap during the day. 

I'm not sure if it's that she's getting an upper tooth or what, but the last 3 days she has been a different kid.  No fever, no rashes, nothing out of the ordinary health-wise.  But she will not sleep in her bed.  Friday, we put her down and she screamed...we waited 5 minutes, settled her back in, waited another 10, and so on, but she was crying so hard she made herself sick.  We went into the spare bed in her room, read stories and she fell asleep.  As soon as I moved her into her bed, back awak and mad.  This happened Saturday and Sunday nights too.  She napped fine in the bed during the day, though.

I thought maybe it was cold...put a blanket over the sheet to warm it up.  Nope.  Tried her lovey, her lamb, her hippo to sleep with...had none of it.  And also didn't want my husband, just me. 

Any thoughts?  Teething is the only thing I can figure out.  I gave her baby Advil before bedtime yesterday and Saturday, but still upset. 

Please tell me she will get back to normal!  And suggestions on how to phase her back into her normal sleep habits? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LCGCmomma. Show LCGCmomma's posts

luv - my DS does this exact same behavior when teething badly. He had about four days in a row where he was just totally out of sorts! Usually we can comfort him, or rock him and then put him back in the crib, but every time you moved he woke up screaming to the point of being ill. The baby Advil/motrin didn't help it much, either. He was still grumpy and wanted to be held by Mommy. I was getting pretty concerned because we haven't had to really "sleep train" at this point, but I was getting to the point of just wanting to let him scream, even if it lasted all night...it did subside and he went back to being his usual good sleeper. But it took a few nights to really get back into his groove. My DS tends to go in teething cycles (usually with no fever, so hard to know exactly what is wrong other than teeth) - four or five days of fine, then two or three miserable. HTH

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Hi All - Not much going on with my kids but I do have a request for you all.  I'm looking for some thoughts/prayers from all of you ladies.  A family member of mine had her baby very early, the baby is a 1lb and 8oz and doing good considering.  The parents have been through so much over the past few years and so far this baby is quite the miracle.  So if everyone could please keep them in your thoughts I'd really appreciate it! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

KT, one of the my best friends had her baby at 28 weeks and she was also 1 lb 8 oz.  She was in the NICU for 3 months and was then at Franciscian's Children's Hospital for another month.  She turned 2 in July.  My thoughts and prayers are with this family.  It is so amazing what NICU is capable of doing. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Prayers to your family and the new little premie KT.  My DD was a premie too, and many days and hours holding vigil in the NICU is such an emotionally and physically exhausting situation.  But the NICU nurses and doctors are truly angels here on earth and they do amazing work.  Every time I hear of a new premie, it reminds me of those days and my heart just goes out to them.  14 months later my DD is doing really well and you would never know she was a premie (other than being still kinda on the petite side) - so please tell them to keep the faith and stay strong.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

KT, your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. I know of many, many NICU miracles and I hope this baby continues to be another one.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

KT - said a little prayer for the little miracle.  Hope all goes well.  They can do so much in the NICU these days.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

KT - sending lots of good wishes to your family!  I'm glad to hear the positive stories from AL and Winter.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

KT - Having done my share of time in the NICU as a resident, the vast majority of the little angels do great. Will keep you in my prayers!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Hi girls, just want to officially check in on this board - I've been such a delinquent on this board since DS was born in June :)  He's now 3 months old and just learning to grab his feet and squeal.  So much fun!  He's not rolling over yet but I expect this is on its way...  he's a whopper at 27 inches/14.5 lbs.  A long, skinny guy. 

I have to go get caught up on what everyone's babies are up to!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

KT, praying for that lil babe and the whole family.

Sprout, it's so fun when they start making noises! DD just babbles away constantly, I love it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

KT- thinking of your family member!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Thanks ladies - He made it through the first critical 72 hours with flying colors - he is a strong little guy!  He was born at 26 weeks and has managed to take a couple breaths on his own which is just amazing! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

KT - Glad to hear he is doing well!!

I have a question (or 3) about solids... DD is 7 months and currently eats cereal & fruit around noon and oatmeal & veg around 5:00, but she still drinks the same amount of breastmilk at day care - 3 6-oz bottles.  I had asked the day care provider to keep an eye on her to see if she still needs that many bottles, but she said DD sucks them down.  On the weekends, though, she BFs for much shorter periods since starting solids, so it would seem like she would need fewer oz in bottles. 
    I'm not in a huge rush to deprive her of BM - of course!! - but at some point will she get less?  For example, when we start doing 3 meals soon, will bottles come in between meals instead of as part of meals?  And maybe then we could switch to 8-oz bottles between bfast & lunch and between lunch & dinner?  (Or would we likely keep them at 6-oz?)  Thanks!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

Hey Fram,

I'm no expert but i know our kids are fairly close in age so I can share what we do.  My DS is 7 1/2 months.. he'll be 8 months next week.  He's been on 3 meals a day for a while (since just over 6 months but we started food with him at 4 1/2 months) and he's been having a bottle in between each meal.  Each bottle was about 7 1/2 oz of formula.  For example, morning bottle when wakes up, breakfast about an hour or so later, bottle after morning nap, lunch an hour or so later, bottle after afternoon nap, dinner an hour to two later around 5:30/6, bedtime bottle at 7:15, bed at 7:30/7:45.  Recently he self lowered his bottle down to 6 oz for the ones in between breakfast and lunch and lunch and dinner.. still takes a 7 1/2 oz bottle in the morning and at night although i'm noticing the night time one is starting to get a tad smaller and earlier at 7pm latest, bed by 7:30 latest.. he's been leaving about a 1/2 to an ounce left in them the last few nights so we'll start making that one about 6 1/2 to 7 oz and go from there.  I heard that he'll eventually drop the 3rd afternoon bottle and just go from lunch to nap to dinner to bed time bottle and the time frame for that is around 9 or 10 months.  I think the point is I think she'll let you know by leaving a an ounce or so in the bottle when she's not hungry anymore.  He hasn't had a bottle with a meal though after the first few weeks of starting food, he'll just have a sippy cup with water after meals.  For meals we do oatmeal and a fruit at breakfast, a veggie and a fruit at lunch, and a veggie and rice cereal at dinner.  we have puffs or cheerios or mum mums too usually when making dinner or after so I can clean up after dinner.  we're starting to experiment a little more too - example we gave him egg yolk this weekend for breakfast (just a little along with his oatmeal and fruit) and we've given him small pieces of watermelon and bananas.  I want to try more but i'm nervous.. he still has no teeth!  but he can gum pretty good!

Good luck!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Fram - I can't remember what I did with DD but with DS I am working him down in ounces (he is big).  He is 6 months and has been on three meals a day for a while now.  In the morning 7(ish) he has a 6oz bottle, cereal with about 2 more oz's and a fruit.  He eats again at lunch (12ish), same type of meal set-up.  I've been working on cutting back the snack (3ish), he was having an 8oz snack and we are down to a 4oz which is much better.  Then dinner (6ish) is the same deal as breakfast and lunch. 

Jan - I have given DS some table food too - homemade pancakes, bread, etc.  I am buying the biter cereal bars this week, I'm sure those will be a hit.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

which cereal bars?  how did he like pancakes/bread, and how did he do with them?  does he have teeth yet?  my DS is a big guy too, although lately i feel like he is thinning out a bit.  he's so tall though!  and loves to move, stand/walk with us holding him.  I just went to carter's this past weekend to buy 12 month clothes and just finished filling up a 2nd full bin of two small clothes!  :-(  9 months are now getting small.. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Well, now I am feeling a little bad because I looked them up and they show for toddlers.  I know I gave them to DD at this age and she loved them.  They basically just make a big mess and disolve.  I used to do the yogurt melts too, I'll wait a little bit on those though.
    http://www.gerber.com/allstages/products/snacks/toddlers_lil_biscuits.aspx

DS does not have teeth, he has a couple starting to look like they'll poke through but nothing yet.  He liked the pancake the bread was just blah it seemed.  I break it up really small and put it on his tongue.  I started the sippy cup too so I give him that while I do any table type foods.

Yep my guy is along the same line as yours - long and husky, its adorable.  I have him in 9 and 12month clothes.  Pants are tight on his thighs, he wore 18's over the weekend and I just rolled them a bit.  I laughed at how comfy they look on his waist.

Sections
Shortcuts