September - Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Re: September - Infants and Toddlers

Woo-hoo Luck!!  Huge congratulations!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Luck - so excited for you and your growing family!!  

I have another question.  Throwing food!  Please tell me this is a phase.  DS is 11 months next week and has the two bottom teeth all the way in and the top two broke through about a month ago and are taking their sweet time to come down.  You can tell that he is bothered by them often... and when it comes to food, many times wants purees instead of finger foods (which he was awesome at for a few months).  So for the past two weeks... even things he loves (meatballs, pancakes, sweet potatoes, etc) he throws over the side of the chair.  I read somewhere to try not to react in case he's looking for a reaction.  I've tried "No," "No throwing food please," "We don't throw food," and/or no comment at all.  Any suggestions, other than to just keep my wetjet swiffer handy?  I wish we had a dog!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: September - Infants and Toddlers:
    Luck - so excited for you and your growing family!!   I have another question.  Throwing food!  Please tell me this is a phase.  DS is 11 months next week and has the two bottom teeth all the way in and the top two broke through about a month ago and are taking their sweet time to come down.  You can tell that he is bothered by them often... and when it comes to food, many times wants purees instead of finger foods (which he was awesome at for a few months).  So for the past two weeks... even things he loves (meatballs, pancakes, sweet potatoes, etc) he throws over the side of the chair.  I read somewhere to try not to react in case he's looking for a reaction.  I've tried "No," "No throwing food please," "We don't throw food," and/or no comment at all.  Any suggestions, other than to just keep my wetjet swiffer handy?  I wish we had a dog!
    Posted by IPWBride

Horrible.  Just wait it out. My daughter did this for ages. She also enjoyed saying "UH OH!" right before, as if it was going to be an accident.

The worst for us was when she started throwing her sippy cup. We have a glass-front cabinet in our dining room that holds all our wedding crystal and other precious, breakable, useless items, and every day we wondered if that would be the day she lobbed a sippy through the glass and destroyed everything in it. After she took out an elderly man at Redbones, we bought sippi tethers for her high chair and stroller. Then we laughed at her as she raged over her inability to maim others and destroy property. "Ha ha," we said, "BUSTED." http://www.amazon.com/BooginHead-BLSSG-103-Booginhead-SippiGrip-Black/dp/B000YHC6ZQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315485144&sr=8-1

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

LIL - so excited for you! Sending sticky bean and healthy pregnancy vibes your way! Have to admit, I am more than a little envious, and hope you deal well with the inevitable "so soon?" comments (although if I remember your background correctly, I think people will just be very happy for you!)

OK, a confession that has really bothered me over the last week. My daughter had a tummy bug and was miserable last week. During that time, she wasn't sleeping well and she was fussy and crabby. One night, she was frantic to nurse (she had self-weaned 6ish weeks earlier, and refused both a forumula bottle and water bottle and water sippy cup). After 20 minutes of frantic crying and grabbing at my shirt, I let her nurse. She lasted about 5-7 minutes, she calmed herself, realized their was no milk and unlatched, but I can't shake this feeling I've done some sort of psychological damage to her by letting her nurse. Has anyone else had something like this happen?

As for throwing food, I find you can only put a few pieces on the tray at a time. If I put all I plan on feeding DD on the tray, she tosses. I also find she starts tossing when she's no longer hungry so I usually do hand/self feeding and then purees, then maybe more finger foods while we are eating dinner, to keep her still and busy). After that, she gets one warning when she throws food and after that we just take everything off the tray and tell her she's done. (for us that's not really a punishment, she's just letting us know she's really done eating). HTH!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Uh, ML, I can't imagine anywhere that it would cause any psychological damage.  She might want to start nursing again.  How old is she?  

Oh and congrats LIL!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

There will be plenty of things that all parents do that could drive all kids to therapy, but, take heart, something like letting her try to nurse 5 minutes post-weaning won't be on the list.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Congrats LIL!

ML - My mother once gave me advise that I think of when I feel guilty about a decision I made.  She said "never ever feel guilty about the decisions you make as a mother - you do what you feel is best."  I think about that a lot and it almost always makes me feel better.

IPW - DD went through this, I was patient with it for about a month.  After that I took the food away and ended meal time.  I know it sounds sort of harsh but it worked.  She ate what she wanted and I would pick up food one time and give a stern NO warning.  The next time meal time was over.  OH and one thing I remember is that she was filling up on her bottle before she'd have food, so I started giving her 4oz bottles then food, then would give her more bottle after she ate - That helped too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Food throwing is so normal.  Happens to all of us. Those with dogs are very lucky at this point.
    I used to put only a few pieces of food down at a time. When they would start throwing I knew they were probably done eating.  Try and make meal times not too long - they do get bored. And start with food or a small amount of milk/formula etc. so they don't fill up on the liquids.
    We have a line around here. "we only eat food" - I use it when they are throwing it and also when they are chewing on some toy.
    Good luck!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My brother and his wife taught their kids the sign for "all done," and that seemed to give them something fun to do with their hands other than throw food to indicate they'd had enough...it worked for them, not sure if it would for everyone, though.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

DD "sweeps" the food off her tray when she's done eating, which can be after 20 minutes or two minutes, depending on her mood/appetite.  I keep an eye on her and when I see the intake slow down and her little, crafty hands start to go back and forth, I say, "NAME, sweeping is NO.  Are you all done?  All Done?" which generally prompts her to wave at her food (which I think is pretty close to the sign for "all done") and I wipe up her tray.  DD has figured out how to undo the sippy tether, but it does slow down the sippy-lobbing. 

And my dust-buster, broom & mop get lots of use.  Kids are messy.  I will say this -- a piece of waffle that was repulsive to her on her tray apparently becomes magically delicious after some time on the floor. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

We do the "all done" sign (also looks like waving, lots of wrist action), but usually she forgets until AFTER she's thrown the food on the floor (we also get the "uh oh...").  What I'm realizing is that when she throws the food it doesn't mean she's done eating in general, it means she's done eating that particular item.  If I try to stop the meal she gets very agitated.

Ha - GC, you're absolutely right.  DD will throw the food on the floor in disgust, but then 10 minutes later when we're done and she's down on the floor, it's like she's discovered treasure when she comes across a piece I neglected to retrieve. Gobbles it up as quick as possible before I can say, "WHAT ARE YOU EATING??"

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Thanks for the advice everyone.  I've thought about meal time being over as a deterant, but actually DS is not really eating much these days.  He's not drinking his bottles (or water or other liquids much either).  I actually just made an appointment for him to be seen Saturday.  He's lost a whole pound since his 9 month appointment (he's 11 mths) and takes maybe 8 oz of formula a day, no water or juice when he used to like both, and now all we get during meal time is food on the floor.  I'm actually extremely worried.  He will always eat yogurt, but how often can I give that.  He will always eat puffs or cherrios - but no nutrition there.  Everything else is all over the place.  The doctor asked me to keep a food/liquid diary for the next two days before the appointment (and of course made me feel INCREDIBLY guilty that I'm not the one with him) 
    P: "What did he have for breakfast?" 
    Me: "I don't know but I can call my MIL."  
    P: "Oh, you weren't with him? 
    Me: "No, I work"
    P: "Well what did he have for breakfast yesterday?"
    Me: "I wasn't with him for breakfast yesterday either"

I think I'm going to cry.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Grandma being with DS while you work sounds like a blessing for each of you for different and many reasons.  Shame on the doc if he implied otherwise.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

THAT DOCTOR IS A NITWIT.

I mean, I'm sure he/she provides excellent medical services, but really, he/she needs to work on the bedside manner.  I agree with Kargiver that your whole family, especially DS, is lucky to be able to have such precious time with his grandmother.

FWIW, I have no idea what DD has for breakfast on weekdays.

Good luck on Saturday, will be thinking of you.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

IPW, I hope that it's nothing, but I'm glad DS is going to be seen.  It's okay that you're not with him... working mommy guilt there.  My DD apparently eats EVERYTHING at lunch at school and nothing much for dinner when she's with us.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

ML - I totally agree with Kar that I would not spend anytime worry about the breastfeeding session.   You are being hard on yourself!

Thanks for all the congrats.  I am certainly hoping things go smoothly but never expect them to anymore!!

IPW - I definitely think bringing DS to be seen is important.  Are you sure he lost a pound?  At this point, while you are waiting and there may have been weight loss, I would give him whatever he will eat until your appointment.  Sorry you are going through this!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

IPW - Nothing like the Dr (although most likely unintentionally) making a stressful situation more stressful.  If it makes you feel better I don't know what DD or DS eats for breakfast any work day - Nor do I ask DH (who feeds them) Try not to beat yourself up.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

IPW -- you might try Petit Montebourg. My daughter LOVES it. It looks like yogurt but it's cheese and fruit. And it has funny fa ces on it, so it's fun. My local Whole Foods carries it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/01/19/dining/temptation-flavored-yogurts-with-a-difference.html

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

IPW - hang in there!  at 11 months my son ate nothing but American cheese and cheerios.  He did, however suck down his bottles so I didn't worry too much. If yours likes yogurt right now then go ahead and offer it at every meal.  He'll come around soon.
    Don't let the doctor guilt you into feeling bad - I swear I'm the only person I know at home with my kids.  You're so lucky that your child's grandma is able to help.
    BTW - if you need  a good cry - go ahead.  I had a nice pity party this morning when no one would sit on the potty and then my daughter broke her hearing aid. (sigh).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Lemon - will try those... they look great.  Lilly... so sorry about the aid.  I know they are rentals now but what a pain to have to get another one.  And thanks for the comments on the doctor (I should actually have been more clear... it was the nurse calling me back to ask the questions so it wasn't our actual pediatrician... not that there's anything wrong with nurses... but this one made me feel like crap).

LIL - at his 9 mth appt he was 21lbs, 6 oz.  Last night I sat him on our home scale and he was 20lbs, 10oz.  That worries me greatly as he has been cruising the 90% for height and 80% for weight for a good while.

Could I really do yogurt for every meal?  My mom dug it into me growing up that too much of anything would give a sour belly.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

IPW, that would have upset me, too, but that is NOT something to beat yourself up over.  I would have a hard time telling my pedi what DD had for breakfast yesterday, and I was there.  It’s not like you’re having DS cut up his own fruit while you get a mani-pedi.  That would be Wrong.   If he’s losing weight, I’d give him all the yogurt, puffs and Cheerios he wants while you wait for the appointment.  It can be binding, but DD always has room for cheese.  Avocado is very nutrient-dense, too, if he likes that.   Speaking of guilt, I was the victim of a total Mommy Drive By this morning!  Another mom at drop-off made a comment that implied DD should be out of her bucket seat by now.  Sweetly, but still.  It wasn’t until I drove away feeling like total sh*t and giving myself a pep talk (She’s still ten pounds under the weight limit!  She’s almost at the length cut-off, but it’s not like she’s twelve and I’m carrying her into junior high!  Who is she to judge, with those shoes?) that I realized what had happened.  It didn’t help that DD is teething and not sleeping great so she was all grumpy and listless so she looked wildly unhappy, but this is simply her new way.  She’s teething.  And hitting milestones.  And not sleeping that great.  And possibly possessed by an evil spirit. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

We kept our daughter in her bucket until she was 14 months old. Her knees were up around her ears. She was so light and easy to carry in it, it never occurred to us to move her out of it. I'm still not sure why we bothered. We just had her turned around in the stupid convertible seat anyway.

Our daughter weighed 17 lbs at her 18-month appointment. Our ped said not to worry, some kids just aren't big eaters.

Your home scale is not as accurate as the doctor's scale. Who knows, maybe he hasn't lost any weight at all. Or maybe he's lost weight because he can cruise and bounce and crawl and he's burning off more calories. And he doesn't want to eat because there's a lot going on and he doesn't want to miss the fun.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

GC, DD is 12.5 months, 18 lbs. and 29" and this week when we were at DD's 1st annual check up they said she should stay in the seat as absolutely long as possible.

I feel the pressure to put her in a front facer, but their are just so many benefits and safety issues to keep her in the Graco SnugRide 35 (not to mention I am STILL using my snap and go very regularly).

It seriously takes effort not to judge, even more to not feel judged - it sucks.

IPW - Will he eat cottage cheese? Can you blend some avacado or black beans or something with nutrition into the yogurt? Will he eat greek yogurt (less sugar + more protein).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

DS is 12 months and only gained like a pound since 9 month appt but our ped was not concerned since DS was not showing he was hungry or upset - we were expecting it to happen (he got super chubby early - in the 90% for size - then as he got more mobile, started to lean out a little bit). Our ped was not worried that he is now in the 35% (although if he drops more percentiles in the 15 month checkup then we need to check, but with him being so much more mobile and playing with food, it was not a concern yet). He used to love purees (he was never a bottle fan, but nurses whenever he can - so he tends to skim on the bottle at daycare) but suddenly started to get really picky - and we suspect he is trying to now go for foods he can put into his mouth (although he loves yogurt and cereal still). So we have been offering him stuff like waffles/cheerios with little peanut butter (he loves that), and other table foods (which is just as likely to end up on him or floor as in him) and they do the same in daycare. We found out over the weekend, even though he did not want to be spooned most things, he would suck those HappyBaby/HappyTot pouches if we offered it to him to suck on. The pouches I talk about are like these where the baby can suck from the straw-like opening:
    http://shop.happybabyfood.com/our-products/happytot/green-beans-pears-peas.html

Strangely, he has no interest in dealing with the spoon as much anymore (us or him holding it) unless it has yogurt or cereal.

If he is not showing signs of dehydration, then most likely he is getting enough fluids somehow. That was our biggest fear - dehydration (we live in very, very hot climate).

Note, home scale and dr office scale are not always the same - even one scale to another are not the same (I have two scales at home and they do not read the same - they differ by a whole pound). Also, it does matter when the baby is weighed (he would be heavier at night usually, and heavier before pooping/peeing than after). A pound is big difference but it would need to be at consistent time and with same scale.

It has taken a few weeks (his teacher said he was doing the same in daycare - refusing to eat much outside of cheerios/puffs), but he finally seems to be eating more consistently at daycare (with us, it is all over the map other than nursing, which he refuses to cut back on).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Home scales don't count.  They simply aren't accurate enough.  He's big and strong! And yes - at this age feed him what he wants. My kids had a virus last year and yogurt was about the only thing they could eat - no milk, no juice - all those things gave them the runs. We were on the BRAT diet for days (Banana, Rice, Applesauce, Toast) and I made smoothies with yogurt and water. I used both yobaby and Danimals.  Try some Yobaby "meals" they have a little bit of veggie in with the fruit.  I'm sure it's not enough to make a difference - but it might make YOU feel better! Or stir a little sweet potato into the yogurt. Sweet potato is full of all kinds of great antioxidants and fiber and vitamins etc.

Sections
Shortcuts