September - Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Re: September - Infants and Toddlers

On the subject of food, probably a dumb question but we're supposed to give the babies whole fat yogurt, yes?  I never knew how difficult in this "lose weight!" society it would be to find such a yogurt.  I search and search in whole foods, stop&shop, Trader Joes... I can never find anything aside from Yo Baby that seems to be whole fat.  I did buy one Greek style yogurt that I *think* was whole fat, but I can't remember the brand, and wasn't even sure I was reading the label right.  I can also never find the Yo Baby meals.  If anyone knows of a store in the Somerville area that has a good selection, I'd love to hear about it!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I think whole fat yogurt is probably best - but I also think that low fat is fine - I think with yogurt the most important thing is getting those live cultures.  As long as baby is getting whole milk (or being nursed or having formula depending on age) I don't think the low fat yogurt is a problem.
    Can't help with the shopping in Somerville - is that big Whole Foods in Arlington too far away?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've seen whole fat yogurt in every grocery store I've ever shopped in, but it doesn't say "whole milk" on the cover or main label; it just doesn't say anything about it at all.  I'd look for Stonyfield Organics; it's non-GMO milk (which I think is especially important for growing babies/children), real sugar, live cultures.  And, yummy, of course. :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

IPW - My guess is that you weighed DS b/c you were concerned.  So there could be big discrepancies between the two but luckily you have the appt and will find out this weekend.

GC - I would be bucketing my DD until puberty if I could.  It is probably safer and is SOOOO much easier getting ready in the morning when she is sitting quietly in her bucket seat.  Alas, she is a giant and had to go to the convertible.  The good news is that there is no paucity of things to feel guilty about!

ML - the current recommendations are rear facing until 2 years.  So ideally, you would use a convertible car seat first.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Fage Greek yogurt offers a full-fat version. I think it's usually in the bigger tubs and not the smaller individual servings. Brown Cow yogurt also offers a "cream on top" version of plain (and some flavored) yogurt in a big tub. I've been able to find both at Roche Bros and Shaws. Some people also recommend La Liberte for full-fat yogurt. You may have luck at Whole Foods, but it's not always at the Dedham store. Interestingly, I found it at the local chain where my father lives in Western MA.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

If you're looking for fat, those cheese things I posted are made with CREAM. Oh the French.

Kids do need fat (http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/faqs/f/lowfatkids.htm) in order to maintain a healthy, balanced diet. You just need to watch out for the kind of fat you give them, and how much.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

In Response to Re: September - Infants and Toddlers:
    [QUOTE] FWIW, I have no idea what DD has for breakfast on weekdays. Good luck on Saturday, will be thinking of you.
    Posted by poppy609[/QUOTE]
     The only reason I know what my daughter eats when she's at day care is she now speaks in full sentences and tells me.  I'm sure it's technically nutritionally sound (like school lunches, blegh) but it's not what I would feed her.  Of course, she loves her day care days--waffles for breakfast, hamburger for lunch, and piles of animal crackers.  So much for lentils, quinoa, and dark leafy greens.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

[QUOTE]I've seen whole fat yogurt in every grocery store I've ever shopped in, but it doesn't say "whole milk" on the cover or main label; it just doesn't say anything about it at all.  I'd look for Stonyfield Organics; it's non-GMO milk (which I think is especially important for growing babies/children), real sugar, live cultures.  And, yummy, of course. :)
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Really?  That's so odd - whatever store I was at recently (I forget) I looked at EVERY yogurt container and every single one was made with low-fat or non-fat milk except the Yo Baby.  However I only looked at the little containers - maybe I need to focus on the big ones.  Whenever I buy the big containers of yogurt they always go bad before we can finish them.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, maybe that's the difference - I always buy the big tubs and never look at the individual serving size.  I think you can find the full fat in the tubs because it could be for recipes that call for whole milk yogurt whereas the little ones are to eat as-is.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: September - Infants and Toddlers : Really?  That's so odd - whatever store I was at recently (I forget) I looked at EVERY yogurt container and every single one was made with low-fat or non-fat milk except the Yo Baby.  However I only looked at the little containers - maybe I need to focus on the big ones.  Whenever I buy the big containers of yogurt they always go bad before we can finish them.
    Posted by poppy609[/QUOTE]

Rubbermaid has teeny containers that are about the same size as a yo baby single-serve cup. They have red covers and I think they're called "easy find lid" on the packaging. My supermarket sells them in 4-packs. They're the perfect for baby and toddler servings -- we put everything in them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Lemon - Those containers ARE the perfect size!  I just bought a couple because the cleaning person at work threw one of mine out grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I'm struggling with some food/breastfeeding issues of my own.  When you started feeding cereal/purees, did your LO start BFing less?  DD is 6 mos+ and we give her cereal around noon and puree around 5:30.  On weekends, DD sometimes only BFs 4 times instead of her usual 5, and in addition she doesn't feed for as long as she used to.  I'm sure it's a mix of the food filling her up and possibly getting better at BFing.  Either way, I am having trouble translating that into how much BM I should provide to day care.  Why would she need the same 3 6-oz bottles during the week if she doesn't feed the same on weekends?  I'm thinking that once we've tried all the foods and switched to 3 meals a day (which is my goal for like 2 weeks from now), it'll be easier to figure out how much BM she needs.  Maybe it's almost time to switch to 2 8-oz bottles or something along those lines?  So confusing!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]Lemon - Those containers ARE the perfect size!  I just bought a couple because the cleaning person at work threw one of mine out grrrrrrrrrrrrr.
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]

Someone at work STOLE one of mine and uses it right in front of me! She denies that it was mine... but they come in packs of two, so where is the other one, coworker? J'accuse!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

First day back to work today, going to be a tough day!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Good luck Wed!  You can do it!

Took DS to doctor's on Saturday.  Their scale shows no weight loss, but no gain.  But they are fine with that.  They took blood and it showed no issues (not anemic or other malnutrition) and he has a bad sore throat (not strep from the swab).  So all in all he just isn't feeling great... may be allergies.  Also getting 4 top teeth... so she said tylenol whenever he's fussy for no reason.  A relief.  Will just keep doing my best to give him foods he likes and drinking fluids (she did say I could start some milk since he's 11 mths... so he got a few sips yesterday... doesn't love it but doesn't hate it either).  Lemon - I went to Whole Foods (Fenway area) and they didn't have those cheesy creamy things... was bummed as those look good.  But Trader Joes had these "strawberries/bananas and cream" yogurts that looked amazing.  So we tried those and the hands were going crazy he loved it so much.

So all is ok, other than I am having a bit of a breakdown realizing I'm feeling like a single parent.  Snapped at DH this morning and realize we need to talk.  Hopefully that will go well.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Wed - good luck!  It will be ok!

IPW - very glad to hear DS is ok.  I have heard the fall allergies are especially bad this year, so maybe that is partly to blame.  I know I've been feeling it, and DD has had a runny nose for about a week (which seems to make her want to do a lot of reverse sniffing).  Also... I'm sorry about how you're feeling, re: parenting.  I actually had a similar minor breakdown this weekend because I've been feeling that way as well.  I hope your talk with DH goes well.

On another note, Target was out of DD's usual formula when I went to go pick up more, so I got this transitional formula that is designed to get babies 9+ months ready for milk.  Has anyone ever tried this?  If so, how did your baby like it?  She's having it today for the first time and I'm hoping it doesn't upset her belly.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

I finally got a chance to read all of the posts....so many great updates!  DD is now 13 months and so much fun!  She is all over the place, but still not quite walking yet.  She pushes everything, can stand on her own, and will walk around holding only one of my fingers.  But, she seems to be very cautious about walking on her own and seems to be worried about falling.  I am trying to not compare her to other babies her same age that are running around!

The biggest thing going on for us is nap issues.  She moved up to the toddler room at daycare, where they only do one mid-day nap.  She only goes to daycare 2 days per week though, and is with MIL 2 days and then home the other 3 days.  So, I thought I would try to get her on a similar schedule as daycare and drop her down to one nap.  Well after about four or five days of this, she all of a sudden was a different baby and went from being a very happy, smiley girl to being fussy all the time and getting upset about any little thing, and also waking up in the middle of the night screaming (she usually sleeps through the night).  So, it seemed that dropping to one nap was not working.  I decided to put her back on two naps for the 5 days she is not in daycare.  Well, now that we did that, she has been fighting her naps a lot more, and will sometimes take 45 minutes to an hour to fall asleep (and sometimes I have to take her out and put her in the stroller or something).  Advice?  Should I put her back on the one nap for every day and hope she gets over being miserable eventually?  Or just deal with her having a tough time going down for two naps?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Memes - I am surprised they are making her take only one nap.  At this age I think still about 50% of kids have two naps.  Can they bend on this at all?  If you are stuck with the one nap I guess I would just stretch the morning time until about 11 and try putting her down early afternoon.  Maybe you will get a longer nap that way?
    Also, I have read that when transitioning to one nap sometimes they need an earlier bedtime - Not sure how we are going to do that since she already goes to bed at 6:30 for the night but maybe this will help you.

Daycare screws our DD up as well.  She just doesn't sleep well there.  They don't have a good designated quiet room and since she is used to this she doesn't sleep well.  At home she is like clockwork.  AM nap at 8:30 for 1 1/2 hours and pm nap around 1:00 for 1 1/2 hours.  I am so glad she is only in daycare for 3 days total or she would be exhausted! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Memes I feel for you.  Our DS is in the toddler room at daycare and had to adjust to one early afternoon nap.  He would get really cranky around 10am but he has now adjusted.  Unfortunately I don't have any real advice because he is there 5 days a week.  On weekends at home he goes down around 11/11:30 and we don't try to make him wait til 12-12:30 like he does at daycare and some days he even will take two naps depending on when he wakes up.  I would try to pay close attention to her when she is not at daycare and put her down when she seems tired and try to base her naps on that...maybe it will be one late morning nap or possibly two naps.  Good luck!

IPW glad to hear your DS' appt. went well and that other than a sore throat which must stink for a baby he is good.  Good luck with the conversation with DH.

Wed I hope your first day back at work went well!!

We had DS' one year appt. last week and he is now 23 lbs. and 29 3/4 inches...right smack dab in the middle which his fine with us.  He is healthy and happy!  He signed more the other day and has now started to pat his belly when we ask him where it is.  He also blows kisses.  This age is so much fun!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

I've finally gotten a chance to read through the posts!  I love to her how the little one's are doing. 

Memes-Would it be possible to talk to the daycare and ask them if Dd can take two naps. When DD moved to the toddler room, she was moved to one nap primarily because she was refusing to go down for a morning nap.  The first couple of weeks were torture because she wasn't napping long enough and was overtired when I would pick her up.  Once she started sleeping longer, there was no turning back. However, most of her classmates who've recently transitioned are still taking two naps.

IPW-Glad to hear that DS is doing OK.  I hope the parenting discussion goes well.  Although, DH is really good I sometimes feel that way as well. 

Wed-Good luck!  I hope it went well.

Luck-Congratulations!  I hope to join you soon.

AFM, DD is 13 months and is walking up a storm.  She started walking about a month ago but is moving so quickly, I realize running is next.  She is saying a few words "uh-oh," "cat," and most recently "hi."  She continues to sign but would rather vocalize which means alot of grunting.  School has resumed so we are back to our school work week and I miss the leisure of our 4 day summer program.  There was just so much more time to get things done.

I

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

IPW et al. - I feel like, as women we are ultimately the last line of defense in parenting. Regardless of how helpful our partners are, ultimately childrearing falls to us. We are the fairies that make clean laundry and food appear, we make birthday gifts, hostess gifts, thank you notes and Christmas cards appear magically in time for events. We get out of bed when our partners pretend to not hear a crying baby and we have that weird thing in us that keeps going when it seems like there is just no way we can keep on going. I've kind of been amazed by this, because to be honest, I was definitely lazy pre-baby. Hope the talk goes well. Take a day for yourself and leave DH home with DS (and tell MIL she isn't getting any more grandchildren until you know DH can manage).

AFM, DD turned had her physical last week and the doctor said to go ahead and give her milk. Now, she's a big yogurt and cheese girl so I did not expect any trouble, but whenever we give her milk she has several hours of man-sized farts, as well as some man-sized messy diapers. Is this just an adjustment? I'm just very surprised yogurt and cheese are fine, but milk - not so much?

Other than that, she is amazing, starting to use words "hat, kitty, book, ball, bottle (she calls it her bobo, but hey, that's our fault!) and yesterday I came up from the basement with the laundry and found her proudly standing on the couch. God help us! Spent the afternoon teaching her, with mixed success, how to get off the couch safely.

I've been asked to serve on the board of our mother's club. I'd really like to do it, I love that sort of stuff and think it could be a good networking opportunity, but I'm afraid of the time it would take between work, house and baby. My instinct says jump right in, but I know it will eventually (at moments) leave me really struggling to keep it all together. Is it worth it?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

ml, given your history, I think your concern regarding taking on more time-zapping responsibility is valid.  Let this one pass imho, although, it was a nice honor to be asked.  You've heard me talk about my friend who couldn't say no when she felt that "maybe" what she was asked to do was too much for her, and she ended up having an honest to goodness breakdown?  She never thought it could happen and that one more "yes" wasn't a big deal until suddenly she was smushed under the weight of it all.  I think you are wise to consider the possibility of it being too much to take on.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Memes - I'm glad you asked that question.  When DS goes to daycare starting this Nov, he'll be 13 months and the room is a one-nap room.  I'm very nervous about that since DS can barely get past 8am much less 10 or 11am (he's up at 5:30 so he's quick to go back down in the early morning).  I don't want to transition him too early... but would hate for daycare to think he was a horrible kid if they have to go through the 2-3 weeks of misery during the nap transition.

Nene - please forgive if this is an intrusion - I thought I had seen an announcement from you on the TTC board.  If not... than I'm dreaming.  If it was you and you experienced a loss, my condolences to you.

And ML, I totally get what you are saying.  Amazing how those Xmas cards magically appear, isn't it?!  I love, love, love my DS, and feel horrible I'm away from him 10-11 hours a day.  So I want as much of him as possible when I'm not working.  I think because of this, I have totally enabled my DH to not do anything.  I do mornings, evenings, weekends... and I just got overwhelmed last week.  Its not fair to me, DH and most important... to DS who isn't getting quality dad time.  The conversation didn't go great, DH thought I was calling him a bad father.  Not true at all.  We agreed more communication is needed and I need to provide opportunities for him to step up by stepping away.

Funny story though... so everyday I get up at 5am, get myself ready, coffee, DS's bottle etc and then get DS up 5:30ish for diaper, clothes and bottle.  DH gets up 5:30ish and gets ready and we are together out the door at 6.  So this morning I get up at 5am, get coffee and bottle, in the shower.  I get out and who else is up?  DH getting ready!  So at 5:30, we are both in DS's room.  Ok... total "A" for effort DH.  HOWEVER... the whole idea of sharing is so the other gets a break/rest.  I couldn't exactly go back to bed at 5:30... nor was I going to, say... vacuum!  One step at a time I guess.  I didn't criticize because that was a huge "I'm here and ready to help" motion... but will ask tonight what his morning plans are before I set my alarm!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

I hear people's frustrations about the new divsion of labor in a household once a baby gets added to the mix, but I do want to acknowledge the dads who "magically" make sure the driveway is shovelled, lightbulbs are replaced, drains unblocked, recycling put out every week, etc. Honestly, these are not "childrearing" tasks, just as Christmas cards aren't either. IMO, I think it's important in these discussions to be clear about what falls under running the household and what falls under caring for DC in order to avoid feelings of judgment or resentment.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

ML - I'm curious... what's a "mother's club" and what does its "board" do?  Is it something daycare related?

IPW - I love that your DH was up at 5:30 this morning!  It shows he paid attention to what you said and that it matters to him.  Good plan asking him tonight what his morning plan is. :)  I'm *exactly* like you in that since I work so much I want to spend every second I'm not working with DD.  Hence the reason I have not found a yoga class or gone to a gym in 10 months.  I'm beginning to think I need to let go a little and take an hour or so for myself on weekends.  I wish DD napped more than two thirty-minute naps per day - I could get a lot done in an extra hour or two, including having some quiet down-time.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Kiwi - totally get what you are saying.  My only problem, and why I am so overwhelmed, is I also do those things you mention (drains, lightbulbs, driveways, trash, etc).  Now my DH happens to be incredibly handy so is building a patio (a huge project that I wouldn't have a clue how to do) and I totally recognize his overall commitment to our family and home. But sometimes the balance is so out of whack, that one needs to speak up.  Especially when I am coming to realize that it's as much my fault as it is his.  It's rare that I complain, I just do what needs to be done and move on.  But eventually you don't want your partner taking advantage, even if they have no idea they are doing it.