September Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

September Infants and Toddlers

Hi All! Happy September. DD is doing great, but at 3.75, not really a toddler anymore, so I am going to start a Preschool Updates in the General category. Even though she isn't technically going to preschool, I know several of you are making the leap to preschool, or have kids about that age. I decided to post it here, since with the new look to discussions, I wasn't sure if all of you would see a post in the Parents/General forum.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Re: September Infants and Toddlers

Our pediatrician suggested we could start solids with DS at 3 months. He will be 3 months next week and we are trying to decide if that's something we want to do. Did anyone else start solids at 3 months? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

My DD is 2.5 months and I honestly can't imagine starting her that early. I've always heard/read that it should be closer to 4-6 months so that's what we'll stick with.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

We were told it was ok at 4 mos, but I all the reading I did said 6 mos is the newer recommendation.  Research shows that their digestive tracks really aren't ready for food that early, and the foods that you can give to a very young baby aren't nearly as nutritions as BM or formula.  So if food isn't for "nutrition" and their tummies aren't ready, what's the point?  Especially since we were doing exclusively breastmilk, I thought DD was getting all the nutrition that she needed.  Even at 6mos, she really wasn't all that into food and then at 7mos she very suddenly became super excited about food and now loves when I feed her bits off of my plate.  I am reading "Child of Mine" by Ellen Satter and really like it.  Her view on things is that you should almost never put cereal in a milk/formula bottle (except for treating reflux), and if their motor skills aren't developed far enough to open their mouths when they see a spoon and for their tongues to move food from a spoon into their mouths... then they aren't ready.   At the end of the day, it is a decision that has to fit your family and your comfort level.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

CLC why is your pedi suggesting starting solids this early? The only reason I have heard of it, like Boston said is for reflux.  If it is for hunger reasons, 3 mon is a big growth spurt time and maybe needs to be fed more often.  Even when you start to introudce solids, it's not for nourishment it is jsut to get them used to eating. 

AFM- it was a beautiful weekend, it already feels like fall.  We had a scary day yesterday. DS and I were attacked by bees.  We were at my parents house and DS was playing in the yard and stepped on the cover for the sprinkler system, which woke the yellow jackets up.   With in seconds they were swarming him.  There had to have been 1000 of them.  As soon as I scooped him up he screamed and I knew he got bit.  We ran inside and he had one on his hand still.  I only got bit twice  and DS three times.  I have never been bit before so I was worried that I would be allergic.  Both of us were okay.  But man do stings hurt, I understood why he was screaming. (Actually, my stings still hurt! I waited way too long to take the stingers out.   I ran inside today when I saw a bee, I may have a bee phobia now.  I feel so lucky that we got away with only 5 stings, it could have been much worse. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

I saw this posted on pinterest and wanted to pass it along. 

http://mycrazyblessedlife.com/2011/10/03/relax-bottletime-out-timer/

They are timeout bottles and look adorable. I'm not sure how well they will work but I figured it was worth sharing. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

OMG, July, that is SO scary! I am terrified of bees and have never even been stung. But I flip out when one comes near me at all. I can't imagine going through that. You were brave to step in with 1,000 bees swarming around!

AFM, DD has been in an awesome mood the past 3 days (knock on wood). She is smiling up a storm, loving tummy time, and is almost sleeping through the night!

I wonder if Luv had her baby yet?? Can't wait for an update!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

WTH, BDC tried to stop me from posting, saying to remove these banned words, but didn't tell me the words?!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

AJuly - That is so scary.  I'm glad you and your DS are doing okay.  Only 5 stings is pretty impressive considering the number of bees and I'm glad neither of you reacted.  Feel better soon!

Also, the pedi didn't give us a concrete reason as to why we could start solids early.  She just mentioned that normally she waits until 4-6 months but that with our DS she would be comfortable with him starting at 3 months.  I think for now we are going to hold off but I was just curious as to whether anyone else had started early.

Liz - almost sleeping through the night! How exciting.  She's welcome to come give William a little lesson. We can't seem to break the 3 or 4 am wake up. 

As for us, William threw up everywhere while sleeping last night. The poor little guy, it was coming out of his nose as well and he was not pleased.  We got him cleaned up as best we could and calmed down but I've kept him home from daycare. Hoping it was just a one time thing.  Luckily no fever at this time but I'm going to keep monitoring that. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

clc, I should correct myself. She is not fully sleeping through the night, she still does wake up for a feeding. But, she is sleeping from 10:30-3ish...so for me, that is close enough!! I will be so excited when she does 10-6!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Looking for a little advice. DS#2 is almost 1. He has been fighting us tooth and nail on diaper changes lately. He is so strong and wiggly that it often takes both DH and I to get through a change, especially a p00p one, without him making an utter mess. We've tried distracting him with various things  (clean diaper peek-a-boo, his play cell phone, etc.), but I think we need some new exciting toys to keep him occupied. Any good ideas of things that might be diaper-change friendly?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Kiwi: My DS can easily be distracted with a partially fully water bottle during a change.  We usually have one handy because we use wet cotton pads rather than wipes.  Good luck!  I also have a wiggly allegator!!!

CLC: I'd wait. I'm not sure that solids would be a success anyway at such a young age.  Is it because he can sit up really well and has very good head control?  Or maybe your pedi is more old school?

AFM: DS finally had his 12 month pedi visit, and at 19lbs he's up to the 5th percentile for weight!  Woo hoo!  He's quite long too at 80th for length, so I guess I'll need to be modifying the waistbands on his pants once winter comes.  He can get away with high waters in the summer (6-9 month waist size fits him best) but not in the winter!!!  He's really starting to talk now, and cruising like crazy, but still no walking. He is climbing like a monkey though!  Boys!  What a difference from DD!

DD is doing well and is such a little chatterbox at 28 months.  We've been doing more time outs when necessary, but I'm not sure if it's really helping.  Even despite her being so spirited, I just love this age :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

CLC - We started DD on cereal at ~5 1/2 months.  The pedi gave us the go ahead at 4 months, but I didn't feel it was necessary to a) give DD food she didn't need and b) make our lives more complicated... to feed DD food she didn't need.  I absolutely would not judge anyone for feeding solids earlier than we did, it was just my personal preference. 
    For a couple weeks, she only got cereal once a day.  Then I think we did twice and at the second feeding we started introducing purees along with the cereal.

Kiwi - DD (18 months) was giving us SUCH a hard time for diaper changes a couple months ago, but luckily she has calmed down.  You already mentioned distracting him, so the only other thing we did was that I would get the clean diaper all set up and take off her wet diaper while she was standing, so that I wouldn't need her to lie down as long.  Unfortunately dthat oes not work for p00py diapers!
    It seems like now that DD is aware of wet/poopy diapers she doesn't struggle so much.  She'll point and tell me she did a "boop" (which could mean wet or more) and then I ask if she wants me to change her and she almost never struggles anymore.  I can't believe what a big girl she is!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Kiwi - My DD (2 yo) has gone through this stage a couple times and they were both fairly short-lived (maybe a couple weeks), but I don't remember the specific ages.  We tried a bunch of things to get through the diaper changes, but the one that worked best was to give her our phone with Elmo or Mickey Mouse playing on YouTube.  I only needed about 5 minutes of the video to get her through the diaper change.  Good luck....I remember it to be a pretty horrible stage to go through.

Also, if anyone is looking for a fun toddler activity, we just went to Davis Farmland this weekend and it was awesome!  They have a sprinkler park that is really big and very clean, as well as animals everywhere (many are just free roaming and the kids can just run up and pat them), hayrides, good food.  I was very impressed and would definitely go back!  I believe they also have apple picking in the fall.  We took advantage of a Boston Deal earlier in the summer, so it was cheaper than their regular rates....but I would definitely recommend!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ajuly, yellow jacket stings hurt really bad for quite awhile, but I have never heard of anyone having a yellow jacket allergy, although technically possible.  People call all stinging things like that "bees," but they are not all the same in the way it really matters.  Not that your experience was any better, but just to help with the bee fear...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

@ajuly09: Describe what happened to you and your child to your dr and or pediatrician, he may recommend that you have an EpiPen (available by prescription) on you, in case it happens again. Bees, wasps, hornets...sometimes the second tme you are stung is much worse, better to be prepared.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Thanks for your concern all! It was quite an experience.  I'll ask the pedi about future stings, it was one thing I was worried about.  Hope you are right Kar that they are different than bee stings!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

CLC - 3 months seems really early to start solids. We started at 4 months and I sort of wish I'd waited another month. Once you start it's more work and messier. And they aren't really getting any (or much) nutrition at this point. It's just for learning at the beginning. Unless your pedi has a specific reason for starting this early, I'd wait.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

CLC- I can't remember how big your DS is? But our pedi was routinely "breaking" rules because our DS was so much bigger than normal... start solids early, turn your car seat early, etc.  i waited until 6 months, because that is what the AAP recommends for breastfeeding moms (or did 2 years ago.. I suppose I should check and see if that has changed.)

trouble- I know that oshkosh makes pants that can be tightened around the waist, so does the gap- and I swear that their jeans are made for skinny kids- although they fit DS around the waist, he split a pair at the bottom of the zipper- I think from his hip girth...

kiwi- at that age, we had the same issue. first I gave him two choices- the hard way or the easy way- and we explained what that means (easy way, he lays there and I do it, hard way, dad restains him). He didn't get it at first, but learned pretty quickly that he liked the easy way.  we would give him a choice of toys- but with bowel movements, since he got so crazy, we never handed him an iphone. we also gave him treats for a while- he loved reeses cups, and they make these little ones (yes I broke the peanut butter rule) and since they melted in his mouth, I wasn't worried about him choking.  his bink also worked, as we took that away around the same time. good luck- that totally sucks... DS is older by a year now, but for a few months, we have been doing all of his pee changes standing up, and he is so much more cooperative.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

I also have a wiggly son and diapers changes lately are awful.  Nothing works.  Actually if DD talks to him it might distract him long enough to throw the diaper on.  I have become a pro at throwing a diaper on in less than 10 seconds.

Trouble,

DS is so small to.  At his 12 mon check up he was only 18 lbs 5%.  He is going to fit into all the same clothes he wore in the spring.  I had a pair of pants on him yesterday that he wore 6 months ago and they still fit him with room to grow.  He is not walking yet either but cruises like crazy.  The last week or so he has been very vocal.   But I still can not make out any words besides, mama, dada and maybe throw and ball.    We still have him backward in the car seat.  I know the new rule is 2 yrs but my pedi said when he is 20lbs he can get turned around, we will see what he weighs in at his 15 month check up in October.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

I can't seem to post anything on this...some random word that BDC is blocking...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Ajuly -- That is so scary! Glad you're okay.

Clc - That does seem awfully early. We started at 4 months but it took until close to 5 for DS to get it (and boy, does he get it now -- can't get enough!). Reflux is the only reason I've heard, but if you don't feel the need/prefer not to start, definitely hold off. Sorry your DS is sick, too. Hope he's better!

Liz - So glad DD is doing so well. This is when the fun age starts! Hopefully those nighttime sleeps will just get longer and longer. And did I see on FB that you're staying home with DD for good (or the near future)? Is that a new development?

RE: diaper changes, I know our DS is going to be a nightmare on this. He's only 6 months but whichever way we place him on the changing table, he feels the need to look directly behind him so he arches his whole body. DH said the other day he nearly flung himself off the table trying to see what the cat was doing.

AFM - I started my new job yesterday, and DS is doing his second day of daycare today (he did his first as a trial last week, was with my dad yesterday and will be with MIL tomorrow). So far so good, although my first day was on about 3 hours sleep since DS decided to wake up at night, which he's unfortunately been doing more. So far so good on all fronts. I didn't cry until I got home yesterday afternoon. DS was in his swing and was totally tired and zoned, but when he saw me he got this huge grin and started trying to wiggle out of the swing to get to me. Ahhhhhh, I just melted into a puddle of goo.

I have a few new questions: With so many caregivers, we're really trying to nail down DS's schedule. Our pedi really wants us to get him off the third nap. I've posted about this before and others have said to just let him do what's natural, but his awake time really wasn't extending and neither were his naps. We're keeping the third one for now but trying to push him a little on nap #1 and #2 to see if he can stay awake and sleep longer. We're doing well but the big problem is that he's getting up super early and it seems to be a pattern. For a long time, he was waking up at 6 or 6:30, but lately it's 5:30 at the latest and it throws his whole schedule off. He wakes up tired and hungry, which he never did before. We haven't changed bedtime or anything and this happened before we messed with nap or feeding schedule.

We've also changed his feedings per our pedi's advice. We were still making five 6 oz. bottles per day and DS was eating 3 decent size solid meals, too. As I'd mentioned, he was very fussy on the bottle, so we essentially cut his feedings by 6 oz (we split one bottle between 2 feedings) and he's finishing most of it and behaving much better on the bottle. I was just surprised, though, when the pedi said this was part of a process of shifting the ratio of solid to liquid diet. The pedi wants DS eating more of his nutrition than he's drinking by 9 mos. This makes sense to me logically, especially since I'm not bfing anymore, and DS is all for it, but I can't get out of my head all of the bfing advocates who say that babies should get most of their nutrients in liquid form before a year. My pedi's point was that, if he switches to cow's milk at a year, we don't want him drinking tons of that and it would be a drastic shift if we hadn't started changing the proportions. Have others gotten similar advice?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Is anyone else having a TON of trouble accessing the discussions??  Sometimes I can click on Lifestyles and then Forums, sometimes I can't.  Sometimes I can click on Moms and then Discussions, sometimes I can't.  Sometimes it works if I click on a section (i.e., Pregnancy) instead.  I am really really really sick of the "Help page not found" page!

I feel like I should post something interesting since I actually managed to get here AND the comment box isn't grayed out.  DD's 18 month appointment is (finally) next week.  Why do I look forward to these so much?  I weighed her at home and she was over 28 lbs.  Too funny when you see her next to her 5'1" mama.

DH has MRSA so I'm a little stressed about DD catching it, but the nurse assured me that it would be contracted wound to wound so she should be fine if she doesn't have any open cuts and DH is keeping his covered and washing hands frequently.  I think someone posted a while back about their LO having it?  Or maybe it was just staph in that case.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liv22. Show Liv22's posts

My Mom had MRSA this summer while in the hospital with cellulitis. She didn't want anyone to get it so only my Dad visited her. He had to wear a gown. At the end she was going to PT in another part of the hospital and hospital staff like the hairdresser and priest were allowed in without a gown, so she was confused why it was OK. The nurses said that it had go from open wound to open wound, so it sounds like if your DH is extra careful and DD doesn't have any cuts, you could be ok.

Sections
Shortcuts