September Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: September Infants and Toddlers

In response to ajuly09 comment:

Thanks for your concern all! It was quite an experience.  I'll ask the pedi about future stings, it was one thing I was worried about.  Hope you are right Kar that they are different than bee stings!

Of course, if you're concerned talk to the pedi, but there has to be more to the story to warrent a big concern and epi pen prescription.  bees have a venom that tends to cause allergies far more commonly than yellow jackets.  And, apparantly robin doesn't care for my pointing it out, shame on bdc for deleting my post that said so this morning, but you can count on her disagreeing with anything I have to say, and I didn't want you to be overly concerned before getting to the pedi and talking about this.  It's very unlikely to be a problem requiring a profilactic prescription unless other factors are at play we're unaware of so while it was awful and scary, try to let it go.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

And, by let it go, I mean try not to worry excessively.  I wish we could edit posts.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

I know, the editing thing stinks.  Don't worry I'm not worried about it. We have DS 18 mon appt soon so it's something I'll mention, but that's about it.  Just heard about my sitter's husband who has been stung 50 odd times by yellow jackets and he's been fine.  I'm sure if getting stung more and more times by them caused a reaction he would have had one by now. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

July- how awful! I would've been dead myself (hypothetically) of fear! I already have an irrational fear of stinging insects...yikes!

As for the boards, I don't have trouble accessing them, but it's a pain now that there's no shortcut to recent discussions on the Moms homepage- you have to click on I&T and then find the thread you want.

AFM, at 10.5 weeks DD just giggled for the first time yesterday, at me chewing a snack...maybe a hint to put the snack away?? lol....she also made lots of effort today to blowing raspberries back at me, and got in a few good ones! I feel like she's learning so many new things so quickly. Of course with the growing comes some issues-

First being playing with her bottle. Feedings are starting to take 10-15 minutes longer due to her just chewing, mouthing, pushing the bottle nipple around. I changed to the next level nipple thinking that might be the problem, but this evening she did it again. Is she just having fun and exploring? How can I get her to focus more on eating?

Her second issue, and more serious IMO, is the stranger anxiety she seems to be developing. This past weekend, and just this evening, she was hysterical when my mom picked her up, even talked to/tried to play with her! Even when I was in the room trying to calm her, she just cried and cried til I took her. (she was clean/dry/fed/etc) She's seen my mom at least once a week since she was born, so my mom isn't a stranger per se, but now that she's developing a sense of self and some inkling of object permanence, I worry about her reaction to daycare in a few weeks. We plan on bringing her for a few half days the week before I return to work, in hopes to ease into it a bit. DH will be doing drop off, so at least I won't have to witness it if she has a meltdown, but I'll feel terrible if I hear later that she did. Nevermind the fact that sooner than that my parents will be watching her while DH and I attend a wedding he is in. Any tips for dealing with this, besides just her maturing and getting over it?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Summer, stranger danger will come and go. My son has had it through various phases. Just have to explain the phase to the person and support your child through it. Didn't seem like any amount of explaining could fix it for us "no really, that's Nana who took care of you every day of your life!". Awesome about the giggle!!

DS, at 23 mths next week, went into the Twos room today, or Discovery Preschool as my center calls it. I'm sure the teachers say this to everyone, but one teacher mouthed to me at pick-up "he was the absolute best of them all today in the new room". They moved up about 4-5 kids all together, so I'm glad he has some familiar faces. Man they grow up fast. He's really talking so much now, completing full thoughts. So amazing. And once he learns a new word, he knows it.  I'm shocked everyday and just so in awe of these small beings :-)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Acrain, yes, after MUCH going back and forth and literally writing out the pros and cons, I have decided to stay home for 6mos-one year. I am also finishing up getting my certificate in a specific field, which will be done by next summer and then I can start looking for a new job. It will be an interesting ride, but I am feeling really good about it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Ugh, can't edit!

DD has slept from 9PM-11PM, then 11PM-4AM, and 4AM-7AM two nights in a row now!!

The 11-4 is sooooooo nice, although I still wake up every; think it is my internal/maternal clock. Both nights in a row she ate 6oz at the 11PM feeding, then goes right back to sleep. I am hoping this is starting to become some sort of routine, hopefully weaning out the 4AM feeding. If she could sleep 11-6 or 7 I would be in heaven! We have also started putting her in her crib no later than 9-9:30, to get some kind of bedroom routine down. We will see how it goes.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Oh, also I know this isn't too exciting, but we finally found diapers that work for DD. We are using Pampers Baby Dry and they have not given her any rash and last all night!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Thanks for all the diaper suggestions! I'm really hoping it's a phase that will pass quickly. It probably doesn't help that he's also getting all 4 front teeth right now, so he's abnormally cranky and hornery with a lot things.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Liz- good for you! I'm jealous you can stay home...I'd give my left arm to be able to do that!

And that's great about the sleeping/bedtime...I found that giving our DD an earlier bedtime and really establishing a routine (bottle, bath every other night, swaddle, rock to sleep, put in crib) greatly helps her sleep better and longer. We start this around 7pm and she's in her crib fast asleep by 7:30-8 and sleeps til 3ish.

We've also found she sleeps better in her crib that she ever did in our room. I'm still adjusting to it though...I miss looking over and seeing the little baby burrito in the pack&play next to me :(  Thank god for a video monitor!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ajuly, so glad you are approaching it that way...hate to see a mom add more worry to her life than necessary. :)  by the way, I saw Anahit on TLC today!  She was on a show about VOWS called "I Found the Dress."  I couldn't believe it!

Kiwi, not sure if anyone mentioned this, but my bff's toddler has gotten terrible diaper rash any time she's eaten more acidic food like tomatoes.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

summer, are you sure your LO is really hungry?  When my DD is done eating or not very hungry she'll push the nipple out with her tongue.  With my nipple, she just closes her mouth and refuses to eat once she's full.  When my husband is feeding her with the bottle if he tries to keep feeding her to get her to finish the bottle she'll put her tongue to keep the bottle from going in her mouth. 

If it's in the beginning of a feeding and you know she must be hungry but she's just playing around, have you tried pursing your lips and making a kissy/sucking sound? It works with my DD, who is 12 weeks today, so it might work with yours.  She might be old enough to imitate you and start eating.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to lissafro's comment:

summer, are you sure your LO is really hungry?  When my DD is done eating or not very hungry she'll push the nipple out with her tongue.  With my nipple, she just closes her mouth and refuses to eat once she's full.  When my husband is feeding her with the bottle if he tries to keep feeding her to get her to finish the bottle she'll put her tongue to keep the bottle from going in her mouth. 

If it's in the beginning of a feeding and you know she must be hungry but she's just playing around, have you tried pursing your lips and making a kissy/sucking sound? It works with my DD, who is 12 weeks today, so it might work with yours.  She might be old enough to imitate you and start eating.

She'll do it at any point during a feeding and cries when you take away the bottle, so I know she does it even when she's hungry. I'll see if the imitating thing works.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Summer, it's natural to be concerned about daycare especially given the anxiety she's displaying with your mom.  However, usually they settle downashen you are literally not there to take them. They learn they can scream indefinityly and still not get you or calm down.  They generally choose the latter soon enough if not the first day; they learn fast that screaming and melting down doesn't make you appear at daycare, and they adjust.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

September has already been a crazy month for us!

Baby #2 was due on September 3, and made HIS arrival at 6:30 Tuesday morning after a long, long weekend.  AND DD started in her new classroom at daycare on Tuesday, too.

First, the baby story: I had a regular app't on Thursday afternoon, and BP was a little high, so they scheduled another check for Friday morning.  Overnight, I started contracting, and when I went in on Friday, was still having about 2-3 contractions an hour.  B/c the BP was still a little high, they sent me to the hospital to be evaluated for induction, but we were sent home, as it was fine when we were there.  Between Friday and Sunday night, kept having contractions, which started getting stronger, but were still pretty erratic.  Sunday night, I went in for another check and evaluation, and was sent home again.  Monday, it was pretty terrible, and I went back in around 8 PM Sunday night, was admitted and was 4 cm dilated. At around 1am, I asked for the epidural, and was finally able to sleep for a bit.  Around 5:30, they checked me again, and I was fully dilated and effaced, and his head was descended.  I pushed for 9 minutes (not a typo!!) and there he was!!!

As you know, I was really hoping to have a VBAC, after I'd had a c-section for DD, and this experience was incredible, emotional, and so amazing.  If anyone's thinking about VBAC, I highly recommend the Harvard Vanguard nurse midwifery practice that's based at Newton Wellesley; I was so incredibly supported, and empowered, and everyone I dealt with over the weekend, and in my regular visits was amazing. 

DD came in to meet him on Tuesday night and she, too, is in love with her baby.  Tonight's our first night home together, and she wanted to be wherever he was.  I'm amazed at how gentle she was with him, and hope it keeps up.

So far he's a sweet, sweet little guy, and I'm a little in shock at how much I love him; I had a tough time imagining who this baby would be, since I'm so in love with his sister, but he has his own place in my heart.

And on the continued change topic: in the midst of all of this, DD was "promoted" at school, spent 4 nights sleeping over at her grandparents, had to meet her new baby, see her mommy in pain and then in the hospital.  She is doing so well.  And looks so grownup!  I feel like she's really moved from toddler to little girl over this week, from more words, to just looking bigger, to the grace she's had through all of these changes.  Hopefully it will continue!!!

Now back to catching up on everyone else's news!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Congratulations, Luv!  Such an exciting September, and it's only 6 days old.  How old is your daughter?

And, Summer, if you can give your baby 4 days of 1/2 days to adjust to childcare, I'd really suggest it.  Perhaps on day 1, you take her in from 9-12. Then day 2 you do 9-1, then day 3 do 8am to 1, then day 4 do 8-4.  Or something like that.  On the first 2 days I'd suggest you NOT have her start at the same time as you usually do, because early mornings can be busy at a center, given children will all be in one infant room, perhaps, then start moving to their rooms at 8, 8;30, or something like that.  So if you can avoid that on day 1 and 2, it would be great - find out when her room is open, and her 2 teachers are there, and drop her off at that point for a few hours.  then gradually increase her time there, so by the 4th day she's doing nearly a full day, then the 5th day she does a full day.  This will help you and your husband cope with the change, but it will also help your daughter as she gradually learns to trust her new teachers.  In one month she'll trust them, have fun with them, and it will be all smiles - but there is no need to put you and her through added stress if you can avoid it.  Perhaps if you can't start back part time at work, you and your husband can each do 1/2 days so one goes to work and works until 1pm, then picks up, while the other drops off at 9am and then goes to work?  Is it possible to do this that first week back when she's starting at the center?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Liz, that's great re: work. It's a perfect time to think about change. I loved my extra 3 months at home and am glad I took advantage of the break to reevaluate. Now DH is taking his turn at it. He's leaving his job effective tomorrow and freelancing/figuring out next steps. It's scary, but having a kid actually felt like it gave us both more incentive to be happy in what we do. GL!

Summer, I wish I had advice, but my DS was like that from around the same age, though it turned to real fussing and resisting at points...hopefully it doesn't for you. No one medically confirmed this, but I think he is/was just a squirmy, distracted eater. That was certainly a major component of our bfing problems. Just try to be patient -- it can be incredibly frustrating, especially if you're trying to get out the door or get to bedtime, etc.

Luv, congrats on your new son, and succeeding with the vbac! That's awesome that dd has been so great, too!

DS has a cough and has been awake on and off for the last hour or so (unusual for him). He'll whine a bit but no real crying, so I haven't gone in yet, but I can't get back to sleep...man, this has been a tiring week!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Luv, congrats to you and your family on the birth of your DS!  Your story is so touching it makes me want to have another!! ;)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Congrats Luv!

CT- she's going to a home daycare, not a center, so there will be far fewer kids there at least. And I have arranged for her to do 3 half-days the week before I go back to work so hopefully that will help with the transition. I'm a teacher, so there's no flexibility with my days/hours- once I'm back, I'm back full time. :(

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

Congratulations, luv! I am glad it went well for you and that DD is adjusting so well. I am glad the VBAC went so well, I know a few women who are nervous at the idea of a VBAC. 

We had asked our daycare to hold all transitions for DS (who just turned 2) until DD was born and adjustments at home were made... so far, we lucked out that he has been content even with the new baby at home (his nana is with us, so that has helped a lot). DD was born one day before DS's birthday. 

I posted my birth story in the pregnancy forum... second time really was so much faster (I guess, as my doctor said, second time, you are all stretched out already). And our second was a lot bigger (and a few weeks later in term from DS) - even my doctor was surprised at how big DD ended up being (8lbs 15oz) so I am glad we did not wait longer. 

So we had DS's 2 year checkup and it went well (we need to tighten up on diet, although his weight has remain at the same pattern as before) - and developmentally, he is quite good. It is interesting to see what they ask on the questionaires. He was calm even for the checking the throat (before, if any doctor tried to look at his mouth, he would scream in protest, so finally today, he was cool with it... we read the "My Friend, the Doctor" to him a bunch of times last night, and it seemed to have worked - he was quiet and calm for the checkup). The shots he got did hurt, so that was a rough few minutes until he found the Spiderman book and then we could lure him away from the book with a promise of a sticker from the nurse.

We had taken DD in too for a weight check since we were a little paranoid after a bad scare with DS losing almost a pound his first week... and she gained 5 oz in the last 2 days, so we are on track. I am not having the same breastfeeding and milk supply issue this time, which is a big relief as it was so rough with DS. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Luv and CWagner - a huge Congrats on your healthy new arrivals.  And great news on the relavitely "easy" second births to both of you!  The stories of the bigger sister/brother taking to their new family members are really too precious!  Good luck these next few weeks adjusting to the new babies.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:

Ajuly, so glad you are approaching it that way...hate to see a mom add more worry to her life than necessary. :)  by the way, I saw Anahit on TLC today!  She was on a show about VOWS called "I Found the Dress."  I couldn't believe it!

Kiwi, not sure if anyone mentioned this, but my bff's toddler has gotten terrible diaper rash any time she's eaten more acidic food like tomatoes.

no way!!! I will have to see if it will be playing again!! 

No 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Silly phone, random no thrown in there. 

Congrats luv!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

congrats to Luv and Cwagner! New babies! What wonderful news.
    Best,
    Lily

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Luv and Cwag, congrats!!!

AFM, I am a little bit at the end of my rope (maybe it's just been a bad day), but I feel like all DD does if she is not sleeping or eating is cry, cry, cry. I had a good cry today, too. I have kept it together for so long and just had to let everything out. I love her so much, but she is making it really hard to enjoy her company.

I feel like every other baby I see is always happy and smiling (me comparing, which isn't rational). She will be 2 weeks on the 12th and everyone says to get to the 3 month mark and things start to get better. I am really hoping they do because I don't know if I can take it much longer.

Any advice??

Just to add when she cries she has been fed, changed, etc. I usually walk around with her and it calms her down, but the second I put her down, she starts up again.  

Sections
Shortcuts