September Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Re: September Infants and Toddlers

I meant to say she will be 2 months on the 12th.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I meant to say she will be 2 months on the 12th.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Liz, two month old babies are generally awful company.  At that age, they are crying, eating, spitting up, and diaper dirtying machines and not much else.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I don't think your baby is abnormal or that you are doing anything wrong, but it seems your expectations may have been somewhat unrealistic so now you are being let down and overwhelmed by how unpleasant and stressful it is to have a baby.  But, take heart, she won't be a two month old baby who can't interact in a meaningful way forever.  In the grand scheme of things, it won't be long at all before she can really communicate and, therefore, become more of a joy (while still hard work, of course) than a constant struggle.

My BFF has three two month olds, and that's how they all are.  If they aren't sleeping they are crying so she usually has at least one baby crying the entire day.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Liz, have you tried babywearing? She might be calmed by the closeness and at least you can have your hands free.

Also, like Kar said, she won't be like this forever...fussiness and crying is supposed to start improving after the 3 month mark, unless there's some underlying cause or condition to make a baby cry more (colic, reflux, etc).

The days and nights with her like thus might seem long, but soon enough she'll be 6 months old, giggling and sitting up and who knows what else!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Congrats Luv and Cwag on your new additions! 

Liz - I think that sometimes babies just cry and she probablly just wants to be held.  DS is like that too.  Ill hold him and when I put him down he starts crying or wining until I pick him up again.  DH says Im the only one that can calm him down.  I think DH's arms are getting tired and needs to pass him off.  LOL 

AFM - DS is 9 weeks and only wakes up once around 1-2 am to feed then goes right back down in about 20 minutes.  I, on the other hand cant always fall back to sleep.  He is smiling so much and talking to me.  It is the cutest thing!  I just love that little guy so much!

This morning we were hanging out on the bed and practicing tummy time and he rolled over from his stomach to his back!  I couldnt believe it!  I hope he isnt walking at 9 months! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

liz-take heart, 2 mo is some of the hardest times. There's all this expectation for smiles and interaction, when in reality, it's feed, burp, change, sleep, repeat. With no much time for smiles and peaceful bonding time. It will get better. You're doing an amazing job. Those other babies you see are older!

Congrats to the new babies on the board.

AFM: shocker here, DD was sick again! Fever about 103, up screaming most of the night...no ear infection, lungs were clear. pedi said she just got the random bug going around. Really looking forward to the time when she doesn't get sick as much. As my foggy memory allows me I think DS was the same at this age, but things got better at 18 months...

But we are planning her 1st birthday party! I'm so excited for this party. I've actually invited my extended family to join us. This is big of me since I don't really care for most of them. But since my father's passing I'm trying hard to reach out and let things go. Want my kids to realize they do have more family out there, some of them just happy to be nutty.

After the party ends I clean up and basically load the kids onto a plane for a vaca! soo looking foward to getting away. Going to orlando, will be there for DD's actual birthday, should be fun. I've been busy planning her party and haven't started to stress about packing or getting things to keep the kids entertained on the flights. Yikes! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Congrats on the new arrivals luv and cwag!  So exciting and happy to hear all is well!

liz - it is okay to let it out sometimes and it is just plain hard having a 2-month old.  The one thing that really shocked me when DD was little was how much I did not enjoy the infant stage.  I always thought it would be lovely - just snuggles, and smiles. Well, that certainly was not the case and then I felt terribly guilty for not just 'loving' it.  Hard to explain, but things got better fast and I can truly say that every age it just keeps getting better and better.  My 25 month old continually cracks me up, even though it is still tough since she is so spirited.  And even though this weekend my DD threw her shoe out of the car window in south boston on Friday and stuffed a piece of paper in to the car cd player (yeah, it's broken now) on Saturday - I still prefer this age over the early infant stage! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Congrats on the new arrivals!

Liz - try not to compare, if the babies you're seeing are anything like my DS they are putting on a good front.  DS is an angel around others and saves his crazy for mom! I swear my parents think I'm lying when I say that he's grumpy!  2 months was hard for us too and it was when I started pulling out the sleep books.  I particularly liked Weissbluth's tip that a baby at that age shouldn't be awake longer than 2 hours.  We use to watch the clock and 1.5 hours after DS woke start to get him back to sleep.  I would use whatever method worked but when he was really fussy I would take him for car rides.  Even if he only slept for 20 minutes it would make a huge difference in his demeanor.  Good luck!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Luv and cwagner - SO HAPPY for you!  really tearing up at these posts.  Luv, I was particularly moved by you mentioning how much you love your DD and how it's amazing how you love new baby, too.  (That's a terrible rephrasing - the way you said it was perfect!)
    Some of you saw on the pregnancy boards that I got a BFP a week and a half ago, so it looks like DD will be a big sister if all goes well.  So I'm particularly enjoying these birth stories from second timers!

We are back from vacation and DD had a blast.  She loved everything so much and was really a delight (except for one cranky day).

Liz - I agree with ALS.  I enjoyed the later months with my daughter so much more than those first few.  Sorry this isn't more concrete, but it does get better.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

congrats medford!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Medford -- Congrats! Remind me, how old is your DD?

Liz -- I second everything Clc said. Weissbluth's method was a godsend (although, as I've documented here, at 6 mos. we're still having trouble getting him to stay awake LONGER than 2 hours!). My DS was also great for everyone else and saved his fusses for me. In fact, he's still that way. It took a week on vacation with my parents for my dad to ever admit that DS gets fussy.

It is so true that it gets better as they get older. The interaction makes everything so much more rewarding, and there is (usually) a reason for crying. I needed a bit of a reality check post 3 months to realize that it isn't the end of grumpiness, though. I still have days when DS is tired or irritable and I'm like "This isn't supposed to happen anymore!" But it is so much better than 2 months. Funny how both pregnancy and infancy seem to have an "It gets better after 3 months" rule...anyone else notice that??

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Congrats to Luv and Med, so happy for you both! Luv, I know how important a VBAC was to you - and I am so happy you got it! And I thought you'd be having a boy this time, just so happy for you!

Med - Hope you are feeling well and I wish you sticky, sticky - not too icky 9 months to you!

Liz - It's the fourth trimester, it is very much like pregnancy (annoying and boring!) get out of the house as much as possible, do a mommy thing or hang out at the bookstore or something - everyday! It helps you structure your day and feel normal, it made such a difference to me when DD was super small.

AFM: As usual, not too much to report. DD had her 2 year physical and was in the 65% for height, 3% for weight (we are neither surprised nor concerned about this as DH and I were both skinny skinny kids) and we opted for the flu shot for her this year. They were really pleased with her language skills - and she didn't cry for either her shots or her blood draws. I am a bit worried about the lead test as we live in an old house, but perhaps that will motivate DH to let me do the gut renovation of our house that I'd like to do! :)

We continue to face challenges around bedtime, and she's getting into everything these days (delivering cat food to the kitties wherever they are, including our bed, and covering herself and the bathroom in shaving cream while my husband was on a business call. Somewhere she picked up "No way!" and uses it constantly. She also picked up "Mooooooom!" (whiney 12 year old voice) from my nephew and uses it when she's trying to tease me. I was so worried about losing my baby, and now like Lemon said - this age is just so much fun!

Where is Lemon these days? It's been like, 6 months!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

ML - the shaving cream must have been quite comical!  Someone gave us a book called "S*&t My Kids Ruined" or something like that... with the title printed just that way.  Its a picture book and it is hysterical.  I bet her shaving cream "bath" would have fit right in :-)

Well, my DH and I (and a few other couples) scheduled our first trip away without DS for this coming March.  It will be a 4 night trip to the Dominican.  I'm very excited, and just hope I can fully relax being away.  My MIL will watch DS, so no worries whatsoever about his care... its just I've only been away from him twice for one night each in his 23 months.

ALS... I am always so nervous DS is going to throw either his shoes or his lovey out the window and I'll have to stop, even if on Rte 95, to get them!  Well... the shoes I'd let go... but the lovey we'd have to risk getting run over to retrieve :-)  

Speaking of, I feel like he is the only 23 month boy on the planet who takes his lovey everywhere.  Is there a point where I need to take it away?  No one in daycare has one... none of his friends have one... I just don't see them, which means they are all at home or in their beds where they should be.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Thank you all for your encouragement and advice. BDC wouldn't let me sign on yesterday, so I wasn't able to reply as fast as I wanted to.

Yesterday was a GREAT day! She was fussy, but only when she was either tired or hungry. I have started noticing that she gets really cranky when over-tired, so the second she starts crying and her eyes stay closed, it is usually a sign that she needs to go down. It helped a lot, and swaddling is a god send for this one. Last night, she slept from 8-10, 10-3, 3-6. Not too bad! And, I go to bed around 9, so DH does the night time bedtime routine, which means I only had to wake up at 3 this morning. DH works from home sometimes, so this morning he took her from 6-7:30 so I could get some extra sleep and shower.

I try to get out of the house as much as possible. Yesterday we went on a walk with an old boss of mine who has an 8 month old and then went to Target. I was only out from 9-12, but it really helped to break up the day, and we took another walk from 3-4.

Medford, congrats on your bfp! How exciting! For all of you ladies who have smaller children, it is nice to read about their weight/height percentiles. DD is still such a peanut, and out of all the babies in our Great Beginnings class, she is by far the smallest.

She gets her shots tomorrow morning, which I am not looking forward to at all, but gotta get them done.

I hope everyone is enjoying this fall weather!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Thanks, guys!  Arcain - DD is 25 months.  Crazy!

Liz - congratulations on your great day!  Sounds fantastic.
    And I don't know about you, but this weather makes me feel so much better.  The cool air actually helps quell the nausea.  ;)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Congrats to you Medford on your BFP!!  Very exciting!!!

Liz, your DH sounds like such a sweetheart.  Good luck with the shots!

KAM: Hope that DD is better soon!

AFM, Everything is status quo with my nutty 2 year old and 1 year old.  They definitely keep me busy, but I love that they are getting older and play so well together.  We're sad to see summer come to an end, but excited to get back to a few activities now that it's autumn.  

Hope everyone has a great week!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

congratulations. medford, on the bfp :) it should be interesting for your DD to watch as you progress through the pregnancy. DS (24 months) is quite puzzled by my much smaller belly, and repeats "baby came out" as if he is wondering how the baby he sees is responsible for mommy's belly shrinking.

liz, i am glad you had a good day. I recall a lot of good and bad/tearful days with DS for the first 3 months especially at night. Even with our newborn now, it has been difficult (she seems to be constantly wanting to nurse for 5 hours in the 10PM to 5AM window, and then during day, she is relatively easy with good spacings between nursing and tons of wet diapers so it has been hard) - and that 5 hour nursing spell has taken its toll mentally already. And I know it will come and go with growth spurts as I recall those witching hour misery with DS and then the horrible reverse cycling when I went back to work (we are going to try a few different things with DD to see if we can avoid some of those pitfalls we ran into later on when I went to work).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

IPW - You just reminded me I've been meaning to look for a backup lovey online in case of emergency :o)

Arcain - I tried to reply to your post a few days ago, but couldn't post.  I don't think my pedi has commented much on DD's nap routine.  They have asked if she's a good sleeper and if she sleeps through the night, so maybe that was their primary concern. I'm tempted to say if it ain't broke, don't fix it... but I know I would have liked DD to stretch out her naps sooner.  DD only took 45 min naps at home for a loooong time (like maybe up until 1 year?), so there was no way to avoid 3 naps.  How long does DS nap?  It sounds like you're pushing back each nap little by little - that sounds like a good plan to me!

DD woke up at 5:45 am for a long time, not matter what I tried.  I seem to recall a lot of moms on here saying the same thing, so maybe it's common?  She would sleep from 6:30 to 5:45, but eventually it got later and later and now it is most often 7:30 to 7.  (Although she so kindly woke up at 5:20 am today!!)

For the food questions, that's interesting that the pedi said solids should be the main source by 9 months.  That seems so early, but that's only my opinion.  I think I recall your DS doing well with solids early, so I'm sure your gut will know what is right.  Formula is just as good as BM so that shouldn't have anything to with whether/when solids become the primary source.

AFM - Broken record here, but looking forward to DD's 18 month appt soon.  I'm curious to see what they say about all her talking.  Her latest phrase is, "There it is!"  And even though I have no desire to see her cry, I'm going to ask them to check her lead again.  Fun times.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

IPW, I'll try and post the video on the Facebook page soon, it is totally good for a laugh!

June08, Fram, Liz and I think Trouble posted some pictures over on the Facebook page recently, maybe it's time for a Fall update so we can all see how our little beans (and new beans!) have grown!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

IPW-DS still has his lovey at 3.5...our rules are that it stays home or in the car. so I bet a lot of other kids you see have lovies waiting for them in the car. DS lost his while we were on vaca-he took it out of the room...so we had to get a replacement-I tried to drop the lovie thing then but he wouldn't stop mentioning it. So he'll be 4 in december and still going strong with his lovie. And his replacement looks nothing like the original one...

Ah, for destroyed things, DS decided to bang his spoon on my dining room chair...sigh...and DD was caught chewing on my footboard and the TV stand- Swear she skips the appropriate toys to teeth on and goes straight for the expensive furniture. sigh.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Just posted another pic of DD on the Facebook page. Feel free to let me know if it is getting a little excessive!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Great idea!  I posted some updates just now :)  And if anyone has a trick to get a 2yo to smile and look at the camera, please let me know!  It is so hard to get a good pic of DD where she is looking at the camera these days!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

trouble, Im wondering the same thing :)  my youngest will ham it up for the camera, the oldest its like pulling teeth to get her to look at me or smile.  :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Keep the photos coming! I love seeing everyones LO's!

DD had her 2 month check up today. She weighs 9.4lbs, so has dropped from 42 percentile to 33. The pedi wants me to start feeding her 5oz/3 scoops of formula to get in more calories. She isn't concerned but says she is a little skinny...I'm trying not to stress out about this.

She had her shots as well...I had never heard such a cry from her, it was heart-wrenching and I teared up, but she is fine now. Just ate and is down for a nap.

What is everyone's kids being for halloween? I saw the cutest Minnie Mouse costume, but can't justify buying it for a 3 month old!

Sections
Shortcuts