September Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Re: September Infants and Toddlers

Liz - sorry to hear about the shots.  And the increased calories might mean longer sleep at night!

AFM, DS turned 3 months old last week and we are on night 4 of STTN.  It's been amazing! We decided, after all of your sage advice and some research of my own, to hold off on solids.  I don't see any benefit to starting early.  Also, we have DS down to just 4 oz of formula a day and the rest bm.  Hoping to get to 2 oz this week. My goal is to stick with pumping until 6 months. I'm down to 4-5 sessions a day so it's pretty manageable.   Finally, had my first new mom freak out and brought DS to the Evening Pediatric Clinic last week because his voice was so hoarse it was practically gone.  They of course could find nothing wrong with him so we spent our $25 copay to find out that he weighed 13 lbs.  I did get some peace of mind so that's got to be worth something.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Liz - sorry to hear about the shots.  And the increased calories might mean longer sleep at night!

AFM, DS turned 3 months old last week and we are on night 4 of STTN.  It's been amazing! We decided, after all of your sage advice and some research of my own, to hold off on solids.  I don't see any benefit to starting early.  Also, we have DS down to just 4 oz of formula a day and the rest bm.  Hoping to get to 2 oz this week. My goal is to stick with pumping until 6 months. I'm down to 4-5 sessions a day so it's pretty manageable.   Finally, had my first new mom freak out and brought DS to the Evening Pediatric Clinic last week because his voice was so hoarse it was practically gone.  They of course could find nothing wrong with him so we spent our $25 copay to find out that he weighed 13 lbs.  I did get some peace of mind so that's got to be worth something.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Sorry about the double post, BDC has a mind of its own these days!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Wow, clc...13lbs, I'm jealous!

Seriously, BDC is being a PITA lately...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Liz, hopefully your DD isn't too fussy or unhappy from the shots. Keep the baby pain reliever handy!

As far as Halloween costumes, I've been thinking of ideas and perusing sites for ideas.  First I was going to do a mommy & baby matching costume where I was a spider web and DD a spider ( her name may have something to do with that ;)  ) but I'm not into DIY stuff. After some more web browsing , I think DH and I might be burglars, DD a bag of money and our dog a police officer :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Liz, my DD was always lower in the percentiles than that.  A low % by itself is no cause for concern, and my own DD also dropped down around that same age.  So try not to worry - I know it's easier said than done!  I feel like a big part of the response to the weight and % information varies by pediatrician.

IPW - it's funny that you worry about the lovey.  Sometimes I think it's weird that my DD has never taken to a lovey.  :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

I have been so swamped at work but I wanted to say awesome news on the VBAC Luv and congratulations Cwag and Medford.

Liz -Peak fussiness is 6-7 weeks.  I was counting down.  I actually sort of disagree with Kar.  I think once they actually turn 2 months they tend to be much better company and I think you will notice a big difference over the next couple of weeks (unless there truly is colic in which case it is closer to 3 months).  Both of my girls went through a period of fussiness right around 6-7 weeks and really didn't cry after that until about age 1 - Toddler world is another story.

DD # 2 is now 3 1/2 months just about 4 and has been going to bed between 6:30-7 and sometimes making it all the way to 5:30 like today  Oh do I enjoy having that time back!  Like ALS said, I just don't love the newborn phase! 

IPW - isn't the language and retention SO AMAZING?  There was a picture in a magazine of a cartoon skeleton and DD pointed and said "Halloween".  Really?  I think we have mentioned Halloween once or twice.

She is so funny because we still don't really allow tv but she has seen a couple of episodes of Sesame Street in her little life.  She has gotten into the habit of say "Ernie, Elmo TV?  No!"  since we always say no.  Too funny!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Liz - my DS was in the 4% for a while for weight. he slowly crept up and now at three years old is in the 35% (woo hoo!). He's super skinny and I have my choice of 2T pants which fit in the waist and are too short or 3T pants which fit in length but are falling off him. Last year I actually took his pajamas to the tailor because they would slide right off!

As for the halloween costume. This will be my kids first real dress up Halloween (3 years old). I simply couldn't justify spending $30 EACH for something they would wear once. So I got them onesies that looked like pumpkins or had ghosts on them at Old Navy. At least they could wear those for all of October and were about $8 each. They are already excited about Halloween since I told them they could go to the neighbors houses and ask for candy. :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Fram, thanks for the input! Yeah, I'm not pushing too hard with the naps. We did exactly as the pedi suggested at first and it was too much, so now we're just trying to push that 3rd nap out. Seems like with pretty much everyone but me and DH (daycare, Grandpa, and Grandma on different days), he does 2 naps a lot of the time, so I'm not worrying anymore.

Liz - Hope the shots are okay! Don't worry about %tiles unless the doc says you should worry. My DS is 5th for height, 25th for weight, and 90th for head. Funny proportions, but I don't care b/c he's so darn cute!

CLC - Yaaaaay for STTN! Hope it keeps up!

AFM - Being back at work is going really well so far. We've had a crazy week that I won't even go into, but I'm looking forward to sleep this weekend (today is my Friday).

I'm just hoping DS stops coughing soon. He had I think back-to-back colds a couple weeks ago and developed a cough late last week that he still has. He doesn't have a fever, doesn't sound croupy, isn't having sleep problems because of it (we've had some nighttime wakeups lately but I think they're unrelated), and doesn't seem bothered in the least by it. I called the pedi and the nurse said it may be teething related and to keep an eye on him but that he sounds fine. I know he's fine, but I just can't help but worry when it goes on for so long (re: the teething thing -- I'd believe it, but he sounds congested, too).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

In response to luckinlife's comment:
    [QUOTE]

IPW - isn't the language and retention SO AMAZING?  There was a picture in a magazine of a cartoon skeleton and DD pointed and said "Halloween".  Really?  I think we have mentioned Halloween once or twice.

She is so funny because we still don't really allow tv but she has seen a couple of episodes of Sesame Street in her little life.  She has gotten into the habit of say "Ernie, Elmo TV?  No!"  since we always say no.  Too funny!

[/QUOTE]

so adorable!  I have to share a similar thing: lately I'll catch DD looking at something that's off limits (like a fan) and then she says to herself, "I said NOT to touch that."  She doesn't even know I'm there!  And she got a doll that has diapers for her birthday and yesterday I heard her say to the doll, "I know it stinks, but I need to clean your bum."  Apparently they are listening to us!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc95. Show tc95's posts

Lots to catch up on- I don't think I've been on here since going back to work a few months ago. Congrats on the new babies, love reading the birth stories!

Can anyone recommend a book specifically geared to feeding? DS is almost 8 months now and I feel like I just keep giving him the same baby food all the time. I need to introduce more finger foods and want to offer more variety but don't really know where to start.

Completely unrelated question- does anyone know if the Chicco Keyfit 30 fits in a JetBlue seat? we're traveling for the first time next month so thought I'd ask. I'll look on their website too but can't imagine it'll get that specific. Do people usually bring the base along for use in the rental car? I'm looking forward to a weekend away but traveling with a baby for the first time could be an adventure!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I have so much trouble actually viewing the discussions that I can't keep up, but...

CLC - That is AWESOME about the STTN. 

Arcain - So glad to hear work is going well!  We've had a heck of week too.  A new neighbor moved in next door and woke us up in the middle of the night 4 nights in a row.  Next time we call the cops.  DD has been waking up super early, not sure if it's related, so she's a bit cranky.

Medford - That is adorable!!  I am impressed when DD just points at the toilet and says "no,no".  Can't wait for some of these other priceless quotes.

AFM - Had DD's 18 month appt.  She is 26 1/2 lbs and 33 inches - around 85% for both.  Nothing else too exciting.  Poor baby got two shots and a blood draw for lead, but was fine after a few minutes.  We'll see how the flu shot affects her.  We've been thinking about looking for a new place, so I have lead paint on the brain.  Must go to mass.gov to research soon. 

I realized today that I had never spoken to daycare about switching to 2%, so I brought that up.  Daycare says the USDA plan tells them not to switch until 2... I'm sure she'll do it if I insist, but I need to think about it.  No harm really in DD having 2% at home and whole at daycare... But I think daycare also gives her more oz than I do at home, so it does kind of concern me.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

TC, I am not sure how big the Chico seat you have but we got the graco my ride which is a convertible and a big one (bigger than the graco snug ride for sure) and we got that to fit in a JetBlue seat without issues (the painful part was unbuckling the seat belt at the destination).  I would be surprised if the Chico seat is bigger than the graco one we took on JetBlue. As for base, you can take it and in worse case, gate check it. You need it for the car at your destination. Just remember that there is no LATCH system on airplanes  so you want to know how to use a seat belt for a car seat. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

TC - First of all hello to you!  I hope you are doing great with your little one.  We brought the base but forgot it once and it was no big deal.  We just brought DD on our lap so didn't use the car seat on the plane so I couldn't say about it fitting. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Hi TC, we travelled with DD at about 5 mos.  We opted to go with her as a lap infant and the plane was full both times so we gate checked her carseat.  We opted not to bring the base and just buckled her carseat directly into the car.  You do not need the base, it is just as safe without it.  Slightly less convenient because you have to put the belt on and off every time you take her out, but not less safe. 

As for foods, DD is also 8 mos and has really starte to deny all purees.  So I've just been slowly introducing her to what we eat and not really making things speacial for her.  She had a bit of spaghetti and meat sauce last nice, bits of salmon, some scrambled eggs the other morning, she loves veggies off my plate (the same veggies that she denies when pureed), and really anything else that is not a choking hazard.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Wait, I can't keep up!  I thought it was whole milk until 2 years of age.....  and at our center, since I only have about 5 children out of 40 on any given month that are over 2 years of age, we just have whole milk and everyone gets the same thing.  I thought the whole milk fat was important for brain development until 2 years of age?  Have they changed something? Oh, well, I'm gonna keep on doing what we do...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Arcain, just FYI on the coughing.  My DS (and actually me and DH too) have been coughing and sneezing a lot more than usual.  I think there are actually bad allergies right now, oddly enough as I don't think of Fall as an allergy time (and I've never had them before).  When DS gets up, he sounds like he's going to cough up a lung, but he recovers pretty quickly.  So if your LO seems to just keep hanging on to the cough... it could be allergies and not a cold (hence no fever and other symptoms).

DS is 23 mths and still on whole milk.  Has had other kinds (2%, even skim) when we've been in a pinch, but not planning on switching anytime soon since he's skinny.  As far as I'm concerned, all our parents and grandparents grew up on whole milk.  There wasn't all these different types (heck my mom puts heavy cream in her cereal!) and that was not the cause of the obesity problem that we have today. 

Oddly enough my DS isn't too interested in Elmo.  But Bob the Builder is his hero!!  I caught a really awesome moment on the video camera last night of him belting out the song "Bob 'da Beelder...ca' we beeeld it...yes we ca'!!!!"  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I'm putting a call into my pedi when they open this morning, but thought I would ask on here as well.

DD had her 2 month shots on Wednesday and has not really eaten since. She has maybe had 10oz Wednesday and 12oz yesterday. She is happy and smiley and in a really good mood, but is not interested in food at all. She is also pretty sleepy. Now, since she is small, I of course, am stressing out about her not eating!! Anyone else's LO's have this side effect??

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

TC - Child of Mine by Ellyn Satter is a great resource about feeding.

CT - We were told whole milk from 12-24 months, 2% from 24-36 months and then 1%. Although we're still doing 2% because DS is so skinny I figure the extra calories can't hurt.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

TC - Super BAby Food by Ruth Yaron is good too. It has lots of recipes for finger foods and a great system for introducing foods at certain points in your baby's development.

www.wholesombabyfood.com is also a good resource.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Liz: If she's happy, it might just be coincidence and not related to the shots.  She might be moving into the distracted phase.  I also have skinny kids, and honestly, so much of the time I need to force them to eat because they are just not food focused.  So settle in with your ipad or whatever and let her go at a bottle of 1/2 an hour if that's what it takes.  That's just my 2 cents having a son who was as low as 1st %ile for weight!  (and BTW, he's happy, healthy and strong as an ox).

Ugh, we have the sneezing and horseness too in our house.  I think it must be allergies.  It's me and the kiddos, DH is fine.  And I feel 100% - I'm just sneezing a lot.

I think that the milk thing must be very individual and based on the child's stats.  We switched DD to 2% at 2 yrs before talking with the pedi.  When we mentioned it to her at her 2yr appt she said that was fine, but she'd probably keep our DS on whole past 2 because he is even skinnier than DD.  

Med: My DD does that too!  Like yesterday she was jumping around her crib and singing loudly rather than taking a nap, so DH went in to tell her to be quiet so she didn't wake up DS (yes, they are napping at the same time!!!!!).  So afterwards, we hear her on the monitor going, "Daddy opened the door, and told me I am too loud." Over and over again.  It is just too cute!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

I'm totally impressed with all those toddlers around two speaking in full sentences. DD is a genius and everything but she's totally not saying more than two or three words together. When does that usually happen? DD just turned 2 but it seems younger kids that I hear about are speaking more. Is it a daycare or sibling thing that helps get them started so young?  

Liz - I'd definitely check in with the doctor, it's probably nothing but I'd want the reassurance and it might be good for them to know her reactions for future shots.

Trouble et al: Sorry about the cold! DD being at home means she doesn't often get sick. I do wonder what it will be like when she finally starts preschool!

Milk: DD is on the small side, 3% for weight (22 lbs. at age 2) and I was very surprised that the doctor said we were ready to switch to 2%. We bought our first carton of 2% this week, but DH and I are going back and forth about it, like she needs any calorie and healthy fat she can get on those little bones.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Interesting discussion about milk...we did what others here have done. Whole milk until 2, then 2%, and we've just moved to 1% at almost 3. But, I am starting to lean more to Fram's pov that whole milk is really the way to go. I have been reading this really interesting book called "Real Food", and she argues that whole milk is an almost perfect food, completely balanced in terms of carbs, protein, and fat. The research shows that many of the vitamins in milk, like D, are best absorbed with fat. She also shows research that many low fat and skim milks are made with dehydrated milk solids and the fact that that process alters the chemical composition of the milk and produces the unhealthy cholesterols, etc, that have been linked with artery deposits, etc.

Anyway, the book is really interesting. It's kind of like "The Omnivore's Dilemma", but with more scientific research. http://www.amazon.com/Real-Food-What-Eat-Why/dp/1596911441

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

In response to kiwigal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Interesting discussion about milk...we did what others here have done. Whole milk until 2, then 2%, and we've just moved to 1% at almost 3. But, I am starting to lean more to Fram's pov that whole milk is really the way to go. I have been reading this really interesting book called "Real Food", and she argues that whole milk is an almost perfect food, completely balanced in terms of carbs, protein, and fat. The research shows that many of the vitamins in milk, like D, are best absorbed with fat. She also shows research that many low fat and skim milks are made with dehydrated milk solids and the fact that that process alters the chemical composition of the milk and produces the unhealthy cholesterols, etc, that have been linked with artery deposits, etc.

Anyway, the book is really interesting. It's kind of like "The Omnivore's Dilemma", but with more scientific research. http://www.amazon.com/Real-Food-What-Eat-Why/dp/1596911441

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I mean IPW's point of view.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Where are all the people who switched to 2% before 2 yrs because I totally posted about this and a bunch of people said they did!!  Maybe I am misremembering.  Seriously though, at DD's 15 month appt, the NP said we could switch to 2%.  I specifically said, Are you sure because I have always heard you switch at 2 yrs and 15 months seems really early??  She said that since weight gain was not an issue and DD is not a picky eater, it would be fine to switch then.  I was skeptical, so it took a few weeks before I made the switch... but I think subconciously I was torn because I never mentioned it to daycare.  So I think I'm going to stick with what we've been doing, which is 2% at home and whole at daycare.

Not that anyone is keeping tabs, but I misspoke.  DD is 75% for height and 80% for weight, not 85% for both like I said yesterday.

Sections
Shortcuts