September Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Re: September Infants and Toddlers

Great advice on the timeouts (and the drumming distractors!), thanks!

Chiclet - Hang in there! I had the same experience when my DS got his tongue tie fixed. So disappointing when you think you've found a solution and it's back to the same problems!

IPW - That's crazy! And if he told you about it, I suspect he doesn't realize how dangerous it was of him. Yikes.

Poppy - DS went through the tub-standing phase, too (I think partly during his random hatred/fear of the tub a couple months ago), although at least it was after he was actually standing. I wish I had advice, but it was ultimately just a phase. I tried (usually without success) to make him sit, dealt with the quick wash/wetness for a few weeks, and then he went back to sitting and playing. Does he like tub toys? I think when it finally dawned on DS that it was hard to reach his toys while standing, he consented to sit again. 

JL - It does get easier, but this is such a tough time! I have about the same amount of time with my DS (and I don't see him in the mornings b/c I leave early), but now that I'm adjusted more and he's older/more interactive, it feels like we get a lot of good, quality time. Honestly, I'm so tired at the end of the day and he's so active, I'm usually quite ready to put him to bed after just a couple hours home with him. Things moms shouldn't say, I know :-). 

After wishing for his entire life thus far that my squirmy baby could be just a bit more cuddly, my DS has now learned hugs! OMG, it is the best feeling in the world when I ask for a hug and he toddles over and wraps his little arms around my neck. He's really into repeating words right now, too, so the whole time he's hugging you he's saying "'Ug! 'Ug!"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

ALS - Good luck being back! I agree -- I was lucky enough to be home with my DS for 6 months, and even though it was still hard bringing him to daycare, it felt much better at that age. I don't think I'll have the same situation when/if we have #2, so I'm already girding myself for having to start daycare at 3 mos. Just know that she'll have that much more time to bond with the provider, though.

Is DD1 still in the same daycare? I feel like if my DS is still there with my hypothetical #2, I'd feel a bit better leaving him/her. Then again, the only sibling pair at DS's daycare right now are always getting into spats, so maybe not :-). 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Thanks Arcain!  That is great that you were able to be home for 6 months with DS!  I am lucky in that my DH has the option to take a paternity leave so that is what we are doing now.  It helps knowing that she is home with daddy all day.  He did it for months 3-6 for DD1 and he will likely take 2 months with DD2.  She'll start daycare in November as that just happens to be when an infant spot is available.  My DD1 is in preschool at the same daycare.  DD2 will be in the infant room - the same room that DD1 was in 3 years ago so it will help that I already know the teachers in there.  I'm still dreading it though.  Both from an emotional and logistical standpoint.  I don't know how I'll have time to do drop-off in two separate rooms in the morning.  I'm always late to work as it is!  I will feel better knowing that they are at the same place though.  Even though they will be in different classrooms, they will get to see eachother during the day.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

I can say from my experience that the transition for me to daycare for child #2 was about a million times easier than the transition for #1.  With both I went back at 11 weeks, but with DD (#1), DH was home with her until 5.5 mos., vs. DS starting up right at 12 weeks.  The combo of knowing my older child, who had been through it, was thriving and doing well, and that she'd be there to check in on her brother throughout the day somehow made it easier for me.  Then at 10 Mos, 2.9 years, we switched them to a new daycare, which was much more like the very first time, since we had to get to know this new place and their new routines.  I love the place they are now, though...definitely more of a "school" than childcare, although both were centers. 

DS turned 1 yesterday...the year has flown by.  He's such a lovable good little boy, and truly his big sister's #1 fan.  It's only in the last couple of weeks that she's started to want to play with him, rather than next to him, and I love watching it. She tries to involve him in her little games and in building things.  So cute!  She also LOVES walking ahead of him and trying to get him to follow her.  "Come on, buddy..come on" in kind of a sing-song, baby talk voice.  Too funny. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I'm sure you are only saying what we have all thought at one point or another Arcain.  LOL.

JL - It will get easier.  Some days will always be harder than others, but you will get into a routine and like others have said, as LO gets older/more alert you have more quality bonding time.  To make it work for me, I try to do nothing, or just one thing (empty dishwasher or one load of laundry or open mail but never all) in addition to feeding, bathing and playing with DD from the time we get home until she goes to bed, which is about 2 hours.  The trade-off is DH and I eat late (Ok, I have a snack with DD while she has dinner), or eat something out of the micro that I made over the weekend, I am often making lunches, doing laundry, etc at 10 PM, I have not seen one TV show "live" since going back to work, and I crash as soon as I hit the pillow.

Pugs - now that DD is eating bigger dinners, she was drinking less milk before bed, and what she was drinking she was doing on the run while playing, so I just went cold turkey one night and switched it to the sippy.  We weren't sitting rocking for that bottle at that point, so I don't think she was too attached to the bottle. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

I do agree that "go to your room" works for older children, I was addressing someone who had a toddler, in the 15-18 month old range, I think.  But a 3 or 4 yr old can definitely know that hitting the cat is a no-no, and if after one warning they do it again, they can certainly spend some time in their room, on the stairs, etc.  it's just that I also think parents need to (and teachers, too!) TEACH the children what TO DO so that they can do better.  (when you know better, you do better).  just remember that toddlers have very little ability to regulate themselves and keep themselves from doing the thing they shouldn't, too.  so a toddler might say No, No was he reaches for the lamp or she reaches for the plug!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Did anyone have an LC come to their home? I am considering it because I can't get to a hospital based LC during the day. I contacted one I found on zipmilk.com, but she's already rubbing me the wrong way. She doesn't do evenings or weekends, which, no offense, but what good does that do me! She offered that I could take the day off from work, because vacation days are the one thing new moms have plenty of! She's also adamant that DS get off the rice cereal and that we switch bottles (from Dr. Brown's to Avent). She said DS's overeating is causing his spit up, but how can that be? I don't think anyone would accuse a 4 month old who eats 3 oz at a time of overeating, especially when he's not even in the 2nd percentile for weight. I was never in love with the rice cereal and starting solids this early, but he's finally able to gain weight and I don't really want to mess with that. I'm not sure if I should tell this LC that I'm all set or if I should go down this road with her? Why is it that LC's can be the pushiest people?

Ugh, why is feeding this kid so hard!?! :-)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Chiclet, it made my blood pressure rise just reading your post. I say move on, maybe try to find another. Do you have an Isis near you? Maybe they could help you find someone and you could tell them exactly what you're looking for.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

Chiclet, I would also second Poppy - find someone else! You need to go with your gut feeling and it sounds like this LC will end up making you more stressed out than helping. There has to be other LCs that are not so militant.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Chiclet - I would say to move on.  It doesn't sound like this LC will be helpful to you as she is already being pushy.  Is there anyone else on zipmilk?  Maybe the hospital could refer you to someone else?

And speaking of switching bottles ... just a question for you ladies that breastfed and then had to switch to bottles.  I just went back to work and DD has never been too thrilled with the bottle, but now that I'm gone all day, I'm really stressing that she won't get enough to eat and will just boycot the bottle until I get home.  My DH says that he thinks she'll get the hang of it and will come around.  In the meantime, any bottle recommendations for an infant who has been exclusively b'fed?  We have dr. brown's which she does just okay with.  Also tried Avent and DH said that she doesn't prefer that either.  I don't want to spend a fortune trying every brand on the shelf.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Chiclet, if you don't like her, move on.  Ugh!  If you have a hard time saying "thanks but no thanks", the no evening/weekends is a perfect reason.  Where do you live?  There are always recs for LC's that do home visits on Somerville Moms - maybe try a mom list?  Doesn't have to be your exact town, lots of people on S'ville from the surrounding towns.  No idea if any do evening/weekends, but it's worth a shot if you want to try one.

Luv - I love that story about your kids!  DD (3) is finally starting to interact with DS (4 months), after mostly giving him the cold shoulder after the first month or so.  I'm really hopeful that it will continue as he gets more and more interactive and it's so clear how much he loves attention from her!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

ALS - that is what we did. Buy every one until we found the one DS liked, and when DD showed the same disdain as DS, we immediately pulled those bottles he loved. And when I said "liked" I mean ones where either of them did not spit out the nipple as soon as it touched their lips or shove away. It did seem like initially they hate that smooth silicone nipples because those got the worst reactions during the transition period.

Unfortunately, they were the most expensive on the market (mimijumi if I recall the name right) - but we were able to transition to Tommie Tippies bottles for DS instead of buying faster flow nipples but we ended up switching DD at like 7-8 months straight to the Tommie Tippie soft sippies (they have the hard sprout and soft one, we use the soft one) and she was much more receptive to sippies. Oddly, once she started solids, she drank way more BM from the bottle/sippy.

But both did insist on nursing as soon as they saw me (which is one reason why DH does the daycare pickup now), and both did reverse cycle, and so we just did the bed sharing so I could turn over, nurse half-asleep and then put the baby back when she was done, all without getting up (and DH could just sleep uninterrupted). If your LO was a good nurser/eater before you went back to work, they will find a way to keep up with their eating - trust me, they will figure out how to get what they want.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

ALS - my DD had the same issue and maybe (maybe!) preferred the Tommee Tippee.  We tried a bunch, and once she got better with it she was able to go back to any brand.  With DS we have been having good luck with the Medela ones that go right onto the pump bottles.  But he is not too picky.

The reason I say "maybe" is that I really think what helped DD get over it was having it heated REALLY warm.  Again, then once she got good we didn't have to make it quite so warm.  Not sure how this would work with daycare because some places have rules about only using hot tap water to warm (we used to microwave the water and put the bottle in that), but it might be worth a try.  They are used to 100 degrees so it makes sense but I had never thought of it until my friend suggested it!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

ALS - both my kids weren't thrilled switching from breast to bottle. They both used Playtex drop-ins, which I was given before I had DD, and didn't take too long to get the hang of them. We never had to buy different bottles. I was actually surprised that they both did fine with them, since those particular n!pples aren't known for being close to the real thing.

ETA: Ditto Medford. Much more successful if VERY warm. We also microwaved the water and put the bottle in it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

Poppy - depending on the age, that difference (i.e. nothing like the breast) may be what some babies need. That is why I suspect the reason why we had to switch DD to sippies early, because then it is really nothing like nursing and they are not expecting mommy when they have the sippy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Thanks for the suggestions on bottles.  I know it is trial and error for every baby.  DD1 did great with the dr brown's, but she was exclusively taking pumped milk in bottles.  DD2 just loves to nurse.  Every night this week she has just clung to me and nursed herself to sleep when I get home from work.  I may give some of these a try.  I just went on Amazon and looked at the mimijumi that cwag mentioned.  I had to laugh a little... they are very ...um... realistic looking!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

ALS - DS doesn't like taking bottles, either. We have had good luck with Tommee Tippee.

Chiclet - I would definitely find a new LC. Maybe try contacting the Boston La Leche League for recs?

Thanks for all the support, everyone, about going back to work. DS did much better yesterday -- he ate more, took several good naps, and he was very smiley for them, so that is a huge relief. He was also awake for awhile when we got home so I got to snuggle and play with him a bit. This morning, I still shed some tears, but it's getting better. And it's Friday!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

My baby is starting daycare next week too--yikes!! time flies!  We are starting gradually.  2 hours the first day, then 3 hours, then 4, and so on.

DD also is very skeptical of her bottle.  She spends the first 5 minutes with it fussing, licking it like a lollipop, gnawing it with her gums, and spitting out any milk that comes into her mouth.  Then usually she eventually gives in and starts sucking, which gives me some hope.  We are also using Dr. Brown's, though we haven't experimented with other brands.  

Chiclet--I would definitely try a different LC.  That does not sound like a helpful attitude at all!  I would also suggest contacting Isis if you can.  Their webinars are also pretty helpful.  I've replayed a few of the past webinars for tips on pumping and bottle feeding.  Or if you can participate in a live one, you can ask questions to their LC directly, and for free, if they are pretty general/generic.  (May not be a good substitute for an in person consult--depends what info you need...)

http://www.isisparenting.com/page/webinarsbreastfeeding

ETA: Has anyone here tried teh Woombie swaddle?  I need to get some sort of swaddle product for DD to use at daycare.  She uses the miracle blanket right now at home (which I LOVE), but I'm worried she's going to outgrow it soon, so I don't really want to buy a second one.  She breaks out of a regular swaddle blanket in about 10 seconds flat, but does really well with the miracle swaddle.  (When that is in the wash, I do a 2 blanket double swaddle technique to replicate the miracle blanket effect.)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

Siena, we use the woombie. And we LOVE it (we wish we knew about it when DS was born).

DD busted out of blanket we had including Miracle blanket, so we found the Woombie and love it! I would recommend the convertibles - she is still in her convertible (and she is 12 months) and I don't know what we will do when she outgrows their biggest size - I guess we will just move to regular jammies. But once they can roll, you really need to use the convertible with arms out. The convertibles can be used with buttons to keep arms in, and then once they can roll, just unsnap those buttons to let the arms out but still have the snug feeling over the body. Note - it may take a few nights to adjust especially the process of getting them into it. And that was one option daycare allowed (and they did not allow swaddle blankets due to safety reasons but did allow bags - although they ended up not using it for various reasons). 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

Siena - we're not swaddling anymore, but for the first two months or so, we used the Summer Infant Swaddleme swaddles. I actually liked them better than the Miracle Blanket because the velcro made them easier to use. Good luck with daycare next week! It's a good idea to ease into it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Thanks everyone! I'm gkad I'm not crazy with my reaction. I know she's not saying what I want to hear. Honestly, I don't want to be told all the things I've done wrong up until this point. I just want someone to help me fix my kid's latch and be done with it. I did find out that Isis at the Pru does some Saturday consultations. It's a little far for me but maybe I can talk DH into going out for dinner after or something. :-) My local La Leche meets the last Friday of the month during the day, so that doesn't work. I called Melrose Wakefield tp see if I could come this weekend. Fingers crossed that they aren't busy!

DS uses the Halo sleep sack with the swaddle arms. I think he likes it because his legs aren't bound. He almost always wiggles an arm free during the night. It doesn't seem to bother him though. We tried the miracle blanket too but he always broke out of it. He liked the Swaddle Me ones too but he's much too long for them now.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

tips for getting a baby to like the bottle if they don't:

yes, warm that breastmilk up to VERY WARM. 

walk around fast while you feed - sometimes that motion gives them something else to focus on other than the fact that THIS IS NOT MOM!

feed them when they are sleepy-ish, sometimes they won't fight as much

it's so interesting that some babies take to a bottle like duck to water, others just fight it so much!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Lurking here to get a glimpse at what life will be like in a couple months ;)

Chiclet, my doula is also an LC and she's been awesome so far. I can't speak specifically to her LC-ing since I'm still pregnant, but she's very down to earth and easy to talk to. I think she's also near you (if i read the abkve posts correct,ly) and all of our meetings are evenings/weekends.

Google Love's Journey Doulas--she's Julie. Good luck!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

The best thing ever happened this weekend! I called Melrose-Wakefield to ask about coming in for a lactation consult over the weekend. When the LC called me back, she told me that she'd arranged for a visiting nurse to come to our house on Sunday. As soon as she said it, I felt about 5 lbs lighter. The nurse was awesome! She was so down to earth. You know how LC's can sometimes set you up with plans that seem completely ridiculous and unmanageable? ("Need an extra hand breastfeeding? Ask the mailman!") Not her. Everything she told me to do feels completely reasonable. She understood about the rice cereal, even though that's not what she'd necessarily recommend. She even said not to feel bad if DS has a little formula if the pumping doesn't completely work out. DS only had 2 bottles yesterday (both before she got there) and nursed for the rest of the day. I don't even know when the last time that happened! He's still not fantastic at staying latched but he's getting so much better. He's a fighter! We're not out of the woods yet but I feel so much better about where we're headed!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

That's great Chiclet!!

Sections
Shortcuts