September Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Re: September Infants and Toddlers

Chiclet - that's awesome.  And very funny comment about the mailman :-)  I've only had one experience so far... but amazing the difference between the LCs I met and then our pediatrician.  The LCs who visited our room, while we were still inpatient, and then the one who taught the group I attended... you would have thought formula was feeding your kid straight acid that would forever destroy their stomachs and digestion.  The pediatrician could have cared less if I was BFing.  I mean, she said "great, glad its working, but no big deal either way," so relaxed.  Just a funny observation from my experience.  That made it much easier when I had to start adding in FM bottles around 4 months for daycare, and then made total transition at 7 months.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Chiclet - that's great! And your mailmain comment cracked me up.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Chiclet--I'm so glad you had a helpful visit with the nurse.  That sounds like it went really well. 

Today I left my sweet little peanut at daycare for the first time.  I will go back there in an hour so, so it's really just a practice run, but I already miss her.  I still feel like we are making the right choice for us as far as the daycare goes, but it's still hard to see her go from all the one-on-one attention at home to a classroom environment where the adult attention is necessarily more divided.

TO continue our conversation about bottles, we tried DD on tommee tippee and Avent bottles this weekend, only to conclude that Dr Brown's really do work best for her.  She will drink from her Dr. Brown's eventually, whereas she had no idea what to do with the other brands.  Her daycare teachers are going to try to give her a bottle today, so we'll see how that goes!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

Chiclet - So glad you were happy with the visiting nurse! I hope things continue to improve. You and DS are both fighters!

Siena - Aw, good luck with your practice run. I definitely hear you re: divided attention at daycare. I tell myself that DS having to wait a little bit for a bottle or for attention will help teach him patience.

Has anyone experienced the "four-month sleep regression"? For the past week or so, DS has been up twice per night, when he used to sleep 8-10 hours at night. I've been feeding him because he seems hungry but I'm afraid that I'm creating bad habits by re-introducing nighttime feeds. From googling, it seems that this is common around four months, but I also wonder if it's because I just started back to work and maybe he is missing me. Really hoping he goes back to sleeping through the night!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

JLeigh - we went through that, my DS started STTN at 8 weeks and then at 4 months started waking up again.  I'll be honest, it lasted about 4-5 weeks and he was definitely starving in the middle of the night.  I would give him a bottle and get him back to bed.  After about 5 weeks he STTN again and I realized that he didn't need the bottle anymore.  I stopped offering it and just went in to comfort him and put him back to bed.  It worked for us.  He stopped waking up after a few nights of that and went back to STTN.  We've only had a few hiccups since but nothing that lasted that long.  Good luck!!

This past week, DS - 15 months - has started whimpering during the night when he loses his paci.  This has never been an issue for us before and I know he's teething so I'm assuming that's why this is happening.  Anyone else go through this?  As soon as he's done teething will this go away?  I've been going in and giving him his paci and he's right back to sleep.  It doesn't seem like he's even fully awake but if I try to ignore it the whimpers continue until he actually wakes up and starts all out crying.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

siena - I hope everything went well at the trail run today.  Its so hard to leave a little tiny baby. 

Jleigh - I think DS also had a hiccup in his sleep pattern at about the 4 month mark.  I believe they go through a growth spurt about that time as well.  So that could be why your LO seems so hungry when he wasnt before?

clc - DS has glow in the dark paci's.  He can find them easily if he loses it in the middle of the night.  I also have multiple paci’s in his crib. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Chiclet - your mailman comment is hilarious.  :)  And I am very happy for you!

Siena - hang in there!  It's actually a bit easier when you're actually working because it keeps your mind occupied.

JL - our pediatrician mentioned the 4 month regression.  I'm not sure if we are having it or not, but we are having a hard time the last couple of nights.  He is also snuffly and his digestion is off, plus he is drooly and has some swollen gums, so I'm really not sure.  He was not STTN, but still eating once around 3 AM (in the middle of a good 10-11 hour stretch), which I was okay with, but I'm not sure if this is a growth spurt or if he's in some kind of discomfort, either tummy or teeth.

Usually if he had other wake ups, we could give him the pacifier and he'd be fine, but now that's not cutting it.  Tired!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Excessive drooling, swollen gums, digestive upset, and sleep disturbances are all signs of teething, med.  Digestive upset is obviously something that doesn't have to be related, but the extra drool from teething can cause it so taken all together it screams teeth.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Jleigh-4 mo there's def a hiccup in sleep! It's developmental. Isn't it lovely that it coincides when our maternity leave ends? Our Pedi warned me about it with both of my kids. It's cruel though, you're used to sleeping through the nights, back at work, and bam, up at night and feeling bad about leaving the little one. It passes in a week or two.

Siena-how'd it go? First few weeks are the toughest. But it does get better. Esp as they get older.

DD has recently started to literally skip and bounce into every room she enters. to have that much excitement for life is just amazing. brings a smile to my face every time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Along with a 4 month regression, is there a 12 month one? DS is suddenly having extreme difficulty with naps and is waking several times through the night. He hasn't slept at all today and I'm currently listening to him screaming (i have the day off) in his crib. For the past 10 minutes. He's *exhausted*. I don't know how long to let him scream. I don't recall this with DD being quite so bad. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

We're doing the whole 4 month sleep regression thing too. DS has been hungry all day at daycare (even though I upped his bottles) and he's added back a 3am feeding. The visiting nurse did say that there's a 4 month growth spurt. It seems like there's always a growth spurt!

I had 2 different LC's tell me to enlist the mailman. It must have been in some training guide! 

DS's daycare teachers said that we're spoiling him by holding him all the time. I don't want to create that monster. Not looking forward to breaking ourselves of that one!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

WAIT.  Chiclet.  You were SERIOUSLY told to enlist the mailman?  I assumed that was a joke that you made up to exaggerate the preposterousness of the advice you got.  You were SERIOUS?  SERIOUS???

BTW, I don't think holding a tiny baby all the time is spoiling him.  Maybe it's a bad habit to hold them for naps that you would have to break, but not in general.  This is a definite matter of the teachers' opinion, not fact, as with much in child rearing decisions.  They're only little babies to hold for such a short time... if that's spoiling, then so be it.

Kar, good call, I forgot about the digestive upset connection.  Just not sure if the main problem is teething or hunger due to growth, but, eh, either way!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I thought it was a joke, too!  What exactly were you supposed to have this mailman do for you?  And I'm in the camp of you cannot hold a little baby too much.  They don't even have the cognitive ability to manipulate your desire to hold them all the time.  Hang on to him as much as you want!

I blame everything on teeth - nasty little things... all those symptoms fit, Med.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Twice! The first time was in response to how I was ever going to do breast compressions by myself while holding the baby. I forget what I asked the second time. When you're brand new at something, trying to figure how you're going to do it by yourself, getting a wise answer doesn't help. Honestly, with the crack team of lc's I've seen, it's a wonder I can bf at all! (And probably no wonder that I'm not that great at it...)

DS gets upset anytime we put him down. He suddenly hates his swing, his playmat and even his carseat on occassion. I'd love for him to get to a place where he can be comfortable on his own. It doesn't bother me to hold him, but I don't want him to feel upset when his teachers won't. He's asleep on my shoulder as I type. His favorite thing in the world right now is standing up but he obviously needs someone to hold him up. Once he learns how to move on his own, I don't think he'll want anything to do with us!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Glad to hear the good news chiclet!  And I also agree that you can't spoil a newborn.  They aren't manipulating you and playing games - they just want to be held.  My DD is the same way.

And my DD is 14.5 weeks old and has yet to sleep through the night even once.  She'll be 4 months old on 10/1 and we don't have any type of sleep routine as it is.. hence no "regression".  I'm jealous of anyone who has already achieved sleeping through the night!  I'd do cartwheels to get just one full night of sleep!

Siena and jl - hope the transitions to daycare continue to go well.  It is definitely hard.  So hard to leave them everyday.  :(   But it gets better...

Bottle update - DD all of a sudden decided she was going to take to bottles and likes the dr. brown's.  Go figure.  DH just made it his mission last week and on Friday she got the hang of it and accepted her fate.  I guess she realized that if she wants to eat between 7am-6:30pm that is her option!  She still doesn't like Avent.  So we'll just stick with the dr. brown's.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Chicklet- there is no way you can spoil a small baby by holding them too much! There does get a point when mama wants/needs to do something, but they are only that little once and it's such a short period. And you're right, when he's old enough/big enough to do stuff on his own you'll struggle to have that snuggle time. You pay his day care enough $$, it's up to them to figure out how to keep him happy and engaged. Has it been determined if he has some acid reflux? I wonder if that is why he fusses when you put him down? Maybe an exerscaucer with a pillow to help prop him up will be the trick?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

ALS - DS is 4.5 months and has also never slept through the night.  I consider it a victory if I just have to get up the once to feed him, but many (most?) nights we also have to go re-pacifier him at least one other time.  Also, great news about the bottles!

Chiclet - I'm definitely sticking with the plan of holding the baby as much as you want.  But I do sympathize with your concern that he'll be upset at daycare if not being held.  Hang in there!  Another thing I noticed is that DS has so much to look at there, with the crawling kids moving all over, so the excitement might help your DS not mind as much, too.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

DS had his 4 month checkup today. He was 12 lb. 14 oz. and 23.8 inches long. He moved from the 1st percentile to the 7th in height and weight, so he's still a little peanut. I, too, am jealous of all these 4 month olds that are sleeping 8+ hours. I thought it was a victory that DS goes 5 or 6 hours some nights. But he is smiley and happy, and seems to be meeting all his milestones. He hasn't turned over yet, but at the doctors he was showing how he is 3/4 of the way there. He was wiggling and getting up on his shoulder so much, I half thought he'd turn over then and there. Hope everyone else is doing well.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

My DD also wakes up twice every night to eat at 11 weeks old.  It's exhausting.  I'm still waiting for a break here!

For you ladies who pump at work--what do you do to keep pump parts clean between sessions?  I've been working from home this week, but I'm heading to the office tomorrow and trying to figure out how to manage it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

Chiclet - Do you have a My Brest Friend pillow? That's what I use for nursing; it buckles around you so you don't have to hold the baby. If the mailman doesn't work out, you could try that!

Siena - I dry off the pump parts after using them and store them in the fridge at work between pumping sessions, and then clean them when I get home.  Medela also sells cleaning wipes, but I haven't tried those.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

I usually time it so that I only have to pump twice at work.  I use the Medela wipes to clean off the pump parts and wash them fully once I get home.  They have worked out fine.  Used the wipes for my last baby too and I pumped for 3 months after I returned to work.  Hopefully I'll make it that long or longer this time around.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Chiclet--that mailman comment is so ridiculous and offensive.  THe LC I saw gave me a ton of pointers on how to position the baby and use my nursing pillow so that I could do compressions at the same time. They can most definitely do better.  (My LC recommended using a nursing stool, and showed me how to position the MyBreastFriend pillow optimally, and suggested holds.)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Siena, I used to rinse them with cold water after each session, then at night would do a good cleaning with soap and water and/or toss in the micro in the medela steam clean bags.  I pumped 13 months, 11 at work.  At first I went to the bathroom sink to rinse, but after awhile just used the breakroom sink when I was puttin ghte milk in the fridge.  You'll get into your groove after a few weeks.  GL back in the workplace!

AFM, all i can say is uuughh!  DD climbed out of the crib last night.  Thank goodness we were watching the monitor and ran in before she hurt herself.  She got her footing on the bookshelf (no longer against the crib) and went over the low part of the siding.  Wasn't ready for that one.  #momfail

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

In response to poppy609's comment:

Along with a 4 month regression, is there a 12 month one? DS is suddenly having extreme difficulty with naps and is waking several times through the night. He hasn't slept at all today and I'm currently listening to him screaming (i have the day off) in his crib. For the past 10 minutes. He's *exhausted*. I don't know how long to let him scream. I don't recall this with DD being quite so bad. 

1 year molars coming in?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

In response to lissafro's comment:

1 year molars coming in?

I think he has been teething, but this seems like so much more than that. It's been about 2 weeks now that he'll nap forever in the car or if he's held, but won't nap longer than 10-20 minutes in the crib, and he's always been a good crib napper. I wondered if along with the teething there was some ramped up separation anxiety going on. I guess yesterday was somewhat improved, so we're just trying to ride it out.

Sections
Shortcuts