Sleeping arrangements? Co-sleeping?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: Sleeping arrangements? Co-sleeping?

In Response to Re: Sleeping arrangements? Co-sleeping?:
    [QUOTE]As far as cats go -- ours wanted nothing to do with the baby. He wouldn't go anywhere near her until she was about 16 months old.
    Posted by lemonmelon[/QUOTE]

Boy do I hope it's the same for my 21 pound cat!!

Also, thanks for clarifying about co-sleeping vs. bedsharing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Yikes after all of these warnings about sleep positioners I'm wondering if I should mention the danger to my friend who registered for the Snuggle Nest UndecidedWe're supposed to meet up soon, so I'll see if it comes up.

Does anyone have something like this: Newborn Rock n Play Sleeper?
    My mother-in-law wants to get, but in terms of sleeping I'd rather have an actual bassinet or arm's reach thingy.  I guess I could use it instead of a bouncy seat?  She gets so... generous with gifts, but I'm concerned about space!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Before my babies were born, I could not imagine sleeping in the same bed with them.  All the cautions about SIDS and the like had been drilled into me and absorbed well.  We had a PNP w/two bassinets next to the bed so that I could access them easily for night feedings.  After DH went back to work--three days after we left the hospital, I realized that if I were feeding one of them, it was nearly impossible for me to get to the other one if s/he started crying without disrupting the one I was already feeding.  So...when DH left in the mornings, I moved them onto our bed, supported in their boppies (explicitly not recommended by the company that makes them).  They were on one side of the bed, I was on the other.  We all slept well this way and I was able to easily reach them when they woke up and/or needed to be fed.  Otherwise, they slept in the bassinets at night and in their bouncy seats or boppies or the swing during the day.  Once we started moving toward a "bedtime" for them, they'd often fall asleep or nearly fall asleep on us before we put them down.  And then there was DD's pacifier issue....  She LOVED that thing, but it tended to fall out while she was sleeping which prompted her to wake up.  After one night where I went to her every half hour and then had to work the next day, I decided that I would take her to the guest bed and sleep there with her the next time that pattern started.  I did it the same way as I had before with the boppy.  If the pacifier fell out, I only had to half wake up to find it and stick it back in her mouth and I could do it before she was fully awake.  I didn't do this every night, but I did it frequently for a couple of weeks until we weaned her from the pacifier and I got more sleep than I would have otherwise.  DH was adamantly opposed to having either of them in our bed for sleeping b/c he is a very heavy sleeper and he just didn't feel safe about it.  However, I have slept with DD on a number of occasions in the guest bed.  After she was more-mobile and able to roll, I would sleep on the edge of the bed, spooning her or with my hand on her somewhere (it's a daybed and the back is against the wall).  We always slept very peacefully this way.  I definitely don't sleep as soundly when I'm sleeping with her, but it's often a much better quality sleep than if I were traipsing back and forth to her crib all night.  DS, on the other hand, learned to roll over very early, and other than one night when we were at a relative's house when they were 2 or 3 months old, I never slept with him.  That one time, he would not stop crying unless I was holding him, so I slept on my relative's couch, on my back, with DS laying on his stomach on top of me.  Again, I didn't sleep soundly, but I slept as did he.  I was never comfortable sleeping with him after he learned to roll.  He moved a lot in his sleep and didn't really want to do anything but play if I tried to sleep with him.

So...I think alot depends on both the child and the parents.  As I said, I never in a million years thought I would ever sleep with my children as infants or toddlers b/c of the SIDS risk.  But, after a short time, I realized that I could create situations that I felt were safe and that I was comfortable with and didn't feel posed a danger to my kids.  If you don't feel comfortable bed-sharing, don't.  I wouldn't have felt comfortable doing it every night, but it did make sense on a handful of occasions.  I you want to do it regularly, educate yourself and create a set-up to make it as safe as possible for everyone.  We moved our kids to their cribs in their shared bedroom when they were 4 months old without too much fuss.  It felt right and it felt like it was time.  I have a friend with twins and she had fully-intended to have them sleep in their bassinets in her and her DH's room, but her kids were such noisy sleepers, and she was such a light sleeper to begin with, that after 2 nights, they moved them to the nursery.

You need to do what you're comfortable with, but educate yourself and don't feel like you need to justify it to anyone. 

Fram and Tracy--I am so sorry for your tragic losses.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sleeping arrangements? Co-sleeping? : Boy do I hope it's the same for my 21 pound cat!! Also, thanks for clarifying about co-sleeping vs. bedsharing.
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]
    We have a 17-lbs cat. I had visions of coming into the room and being all, "hey, where's the baby?" then finding her trapped under the cat, totally enveloped in his furry flab.

Personally, I would say something to the friend about the sleep positioner. It's not a matter of style or a cultural thing, it's a safety issue. I bought one too (I thought it would help with my daughter's reflux -- it didn't) and I would have been grateful if someone had told me in advance that it was a total waste of money and also dangerous.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]Yikes after all of these warnings about sleep positioners I'm wondering if I should mention the danger to my friend who registered for the Snuggle Nest We're supposed to meet up soon, so I'll see if it comes up. Does anyone have something like this: Newborn Rock n Play Sleeper ? My mother-in-law wants to get, but in terms of sleeping I'd rather have an actual bassinet or arm's reach thingy.  I guess I could use it instead of a bouncy seat?  She gets so... generous with gifts, but I'm concerned about space!

Our daughter slept in her bouncy seat, and this doesn't look much different. It's pretty expensive, and you'd only get a month or so out of it. My $00.02

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Daisy, I too used the Boppy that way.  DS LOVED sleeping on that (yes, against manufacturer recommendation).  When we were bleary eyed and sleep deprived after his sleeping fell apart, that's how we had him in our bed too - he like the elevation and for some reason, having the sides of the boppy cuddling him helped us feel more secure.  It worked for us, although I know it is not recommended. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lilpeanut. Show lilpeanut's posts

My husband and I plan on using a bassinet, much like the one that lemon used, for our lil' one when he or she arrives. My sister-in-law used it with her now 8 months old, so is graciously giving it to us.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsBride. Show BsBride's posts

I have the Newborn Rock and Play, best thing that ever happened to me. My little guy was a terrible sleeper at first, slept from 11pm-2:30 am, then off and on (mostly off) till 5am. I went back to work at 8 weeks, and it was tough with no sleep. I got the Rock and Play at about 10 weeks, and he immediately starting sleeping 6 hour stretches! He has some reflux, so sleeping inclined is great, and he loves to be held and snuggled, so the rock and play was perfect. He's 5 months, 19 pounds and 27 inches now, and still sleeps in the rock and play, right next to me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

I am so sorry for your losses.  I can't even imagine...my heart goes out to you both.

Chiming in to say that all our kids started of in a bassinet or cradle in our room.  Most moved to the crib by 4 months (number one far earlier, number 4 much later because number 3 was still using the crib -- they're one year apart).  We also let them sleep with us, if that was the only way sleep was going to happen.  Reflux baby sometimes slept sitting up (buckled in car seat) for part of some nights too until she outgrew the condition. 

You will find what works for you -- how to keep the baby close and keep him or her safe and loved and healthy.

As far as s-e-x?  Well, clearly, DH and I figured that out, despite the fact we were too tired most of the time to do anything other than wave. (lemon -- sandwich in the shower over intimacy?  You betcha.)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from miss-cellaneousJones. Show miss-cellaneousJones's posts

For the record - nearly everything that lemonmelon says makes me gasp with enjoyment :) Thanks for stepping up and being the voice of reason so often on these boards.
    Lemon, I could swear that you are one of my friends in "real life" except said friend does not have kiddos.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sleeping arrangements? Co-sleeping? : Our daughter slept in her bouncy seat, and this doesn't look much different. It's pretty expensive, and you'd only get a month or so out of it. My $00.02
    Posted by lemonmelon[/QUOTE]

Would you say a regular bouncy seat would get used longer?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from miss-cellaneousJones. Show miss-cellaneousJones's posts

Fram,
    We just recently purchased an "infant to toddler" rocker after DS seemed to fall in love with the one at daycare. I guess this is a version of a bouncer per se but it's supposed to last longer. We love it. It rocks, reclines, vibrates and provides hours of entertainment all while DS is sitting up rather than lying down all the time.
    Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000149 EndHTML:0000000540 StartFragment:0000000199 EndFragment:0000000506 StartSelection:0000000199 EndSelection:0000000506 http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=2002&e=product&pid=54751&ncat=thumbnail&pcat=bgb

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sleeping arrangements? Co-sleeping? : Would you say a regular bouncy seat would get used longer?
    I would say yes, definitely. But how long depends on the size of the kid. We used our bouncy for about 9 months, but our daughter is a real string bean. The benefit to the bouncy is that you can use it as bed, a seat, or tilt it up for feeding if the baby is too floppy to sit up in the high chair.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Miss, I like you too. Nobody has ever called me the voice of reason before!

That rocker thing looks awesome. But it's so funny that it goes up to 40 lbs for "years of use." Like a three-year-old will be relaxing in her vibrobouncer. Of course, someone on here said that her 5-month-old weighed 19 lbs, so I guess a kid could hit that mark a lot earlier.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

I don't know about a vibrobouncer, by my kids destroyed a barely-used baby swing when, as toddlers and preschoolers, they unearthed it and used it for hanging out time!  But it wasn't something I planned to HAVE for that purpose.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Great discussion!  Tracy and Fram so sorry to hear about your losses.

I never planned on having DS in the bed with us at all.  I had these delusional thoughts that he would sleep in his bassinet perfectly without issue only waking to eat.  Haha 2 1/2 weeks in I now know how unrealistic I was.  DS did not like being in his bassinet especially on his back.  He loves to be on his side.  So when we first laid him down the first night he just wailed and wailed.  No matter what we did: wait until he was asleep for a while or give him a pacifier, he would wail as soon as we laid him down.  This resulted in sitting up and holding him to sleep, having him lie on one of us and ultimately sleeping in our bed.

A friend of mine gave me what she calls speed bumps...they are triangular shaped pads that velcro to a small blanket.  DS is able to sleep on his side (DS' legs and lower body are between the triangles not his head or upper body) and he sleeps in the bassinet.  I asked the pediatrician about sleeping on his side with the speed bumps and he said it was fine, just not on his stomach. 

In the morning after his like 6am feeding we bring him into the bed and snuggle but at this point the sun is coming up and I can't fall back to sleep anyway (I am having difficulty sleeping during the day...my body just doesn't like to be asleep when the sun is up!).  DH will have some snuggle time before getting up for work and then I will have my snuggle time before his next feeding and then getting up for the day.

Currently I am also debating bringing the pack n play up into our room as DS loves the goofy bassinet feature that came with it.  He sleeps in that thing all day long!  It is slightly elevated but he is laying on his back and it is nice and warm.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Miss and Lemon--Our toddler (26.5 months old) loves that vibrating rocking chair.  I got one at a consignment sale for $10 and she will not stop getting in it.  I imagine that she's only going to want to use it more when the new baby comes along too.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

This just set up the bassinet given to us by friends, and maybe it's just me, but the thing does NOT seem like it would be comfy or cozy at all.  especially mid-winter.  For those of you who used a basic bassinet, did you find this to be an issue for your baby (in as much as you can tell what baby is feeling...)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Poppy - I 100% felt that way with the cradle/bassinet thingy we were given by DHs family and my son was way more restless in it and was much happier in the crib.  But i think it depends on the baby - I know plenty of babies who did well in the bassinet and also several who were plenty happy sleeping in the bassiet feature of a stroller, a carseat, a bouncy seat, etc.  So, it may just depend on the baby.

Sections
Shortcuts