Solids

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Solids

I know things always change but I wanted to know what you gave your kids when they first started eating solids.  Did you start with Ceral, rice or oatmeal?  When did you incorporate Veggies and Fruits?  When did you start and when did you start giving solids multiple times a day?  We just started DS a few weeks back and he will be 6months on Saturday.

I cant remember exacly what I did with DD but she was not a fan of baby food and was eating finger foods by 8 months. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

Re: Solids

We started later with DS. Our pedi did not want us to start before 6 months so we started a little after 6 months and started with whole grain oatmeal mixed with breastmilk. I think we did this for like a week then started with sweet potatoes and so on, very slowly. DH's family is peppered with all kinds of allergies so we were careful at the beginning (oddly, DS is allergic to our favorite fruit, bananas - I am hoping he can outgrow it or has outgrown it but we need to talk to pedi about that). 

He has not reacted to anything else we tried - so after a few months of the "add only one new thing in a week", we did not worry as much and started trying lots of combinations.

After we started on cereal, we started with just once a day at home, but daycare would give him cereal a few times a day (he hated the bottle but would eat the cereal so they would mix milk he refused to drink into the cereal and he would eat all that), although at home, for a long time, he would prefer nursing so it was hard to get him to eat much of anything if I was around. So it was at least a few months or so before we tried at home more than once or twice a day because he would just take a few spoonfuls then demand nursing or just bat the sppon away and laugh.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

quad, I know you mentioned on the other thread that you are behind on this, but you're really not.  We didn't start until she turned 6 months.  It's fine.
    I think we gave rice cereal first (?) or maybe squash.  The rice cereal caused her to totally block up, so we stopped that and did squash and then other single fruits or vegetables like that - avocado, peas, banana, pears, et cetera.  Then we added back in the baby oatmeal cereal instead of the rice.  I think the general consensus now is that there's not a "best" first food (for most babies without restrictions).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Thanks Med, I thought I was behind.  I remember I could not give Rice to DD because she has a constipation issue so I just started DS off with oatmeal.  I think I will just start introducing veggies and fruits as I feel I need to and go with it.  This was one of the hardest things I did with DD since there is not really any good direction and my pedi was not too helpful.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I started at 4 months - but my pedi said he doesn't start anyone nursing until 6 months - so I don't think you are behind.
    We started with the rice cereal.  DS hated it so I switched him to the oatmeal. He hated that too so I started mixing it in with the veggies pretty quickly.  DD was much better about trying new things.
    I was told to start with veggies and then move on to fruit because most babies like the sweet stuff better and it can be harder to introduce veggies after that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Hi Quad!  My DS is 6.5 months now and in mid-December at 5.5 months we introduced rice cereal.  It totally stopped him up, so 2 weeks later we introduced Earth's Best's oats/barley/spelt grain which helped clear everything up.  Then a week later we introduced peas, and now we're on sweet potatoes.  We ran all of this by our pedi last week and he said what medford said above, that there isn't really a "best" food to feed them first...  

And I've heard the same, misslily... that if you introduce fruits first, they might reject the veggies!  (I mean who would take strained peas after getting used to eating applesauce!  Not me!) 

I asked the same question of our pedi about when to introduce the second meal, and he said that the baby should be eating 3 meals of solids a day by 9 months, so we can introduce the second and third meals at any point.  Oh, if it's a breastfed baby, as long as as the solids aren't interfering with the appetite for breastmilk (i.e. the baby is still getting 16-24 oz of breastmilk a day - because that's where he's getting most of his nutrition), then he can have as much in terms of quantity per meal that he wants.  (I'm not sure how this differs for formula-fed babies...)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Thanks Everyone, I guess I am doing ok in terms of timing.  We started with the oatmeal, and he didnt really like it.  Then I tried sweet potatoes and he gagged, last night I tried Squash and he ate almost the whole container!!!  It was pretty funny to watch him want more and smacking his lips.  Ill just go with my gut on what to give him and check with pedi next week at our appointments.  Thanks again!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

DS started solids around 5 months..(7 months now) was all about it and we've been on board ever since. Our pedi said to start with fruits/veggies and said grains aren't really necessary that their bodies don't absorb All the nutrients anyway- especially the iron.. At 6 months we had constipation issues despite how much I gave him pears and avoided bananas/apples so now I give him a tsp of Miralax each day. He does 3 meals per day and even doubles up at some meals. I use Happy Baby pouches but I also roast sweet potatoes, butternut squash, he LOVES peas and i also mix in avocado. Now we're also doing YoBaby Yogurt and trying pureed chicken. Pretty sure this little guy is going to self-wean before I'm even ready to stop nursing!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

My DS has also been starting solids.  He'd been on rice cereal w/ breast milk for about a week and then 2 nights ago we also gave him sweet potatoes.  Since then, no BM diapers.  Is this normal? 

I remember DD's BMs being variable around the time we started her on solids, but I don't remember the specifics.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Hi Trouble, I would say it is probably ok with the no BM but if it lasts a few more days I would ping the doctor.  DS BM have def changed since starting the food.  He has been doing pretty well.  We have his 6 month check up tomorrow so I will verify I am doing what I am supposed to.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Trouble, we had the same problem with constipation and quickly did away with the rice cereal. Otherwise, we pretty much stuck to veggies and fruit and yogurt until she was really at the finger food stage, when we added in multi-grain cherrioes (sp?), pieces of bread, etc.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

Trouble - Both my girls had/have serious constipation issues.  DD1 (3.5) hasn't had an issue in ages but DD2 (15 mons.) has one at least once every other week when we aren't watching what she's eating carefully enough.  Too much milk/dairy will get her every time.  Try a "P" food next.  Peaches, pears and prunes all help keep things moving. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Trouble - there are certain foods that will stop up my DS...  we went four days around Christmas without a BM and then an explosion :)  We don't give him rice anymore but rather Earth's Best's oats/barley/spelt which helps keep things moving.  I think it's normal to go a few days without a BM diaper! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from twin04. Show twin04's posts

This thread was started just in time. We got the go ahead from the Pedi to start solids whenever we are ready. DD had her 4 month appt last week and we were told that she needs to have at least tried something by her 6 month visit - even if we start the week before. I am planning on making my own baby food. Has anyone done this? I am also interested in making my own rice cereal as well. I have seen a lot of recipes online and they seem easy enough, but was curious if anyone has tried making their own rice cereal. DD hasn't really shown any interest in solids yet so I am hoping to hold off a little while longer to get things figured out. We are still working on the bottle (how many/much) while I am at work. It's only been 2 1/2 weeks. Thanks for your help!!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Twin, there are a bunch of people on here who have made some or all of their baby food.  I'll see if I can find one of the older threads and bump it up for you.
    One other thing: I noticed (on many threads) that there is a lot of concern about doing what the pediatrician instructs.  But the one thing I have really learned lately is that different pediatricians have different answers on some of these topics (e.g. starting solids).  The reason they want you to start solids a week before the 6 month appointment is just so you can talk about how it's going and any concerns.  It's not because there's a medical reason to start them then.  If life doesn't work out that way and you don't start them "in time", you won't get in trouble.  And if the pediatrician makes you feel like you're in trouble, well, find a new pediatrician!  :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Explosive BM from DS yesterday!  Luckily, DH was on duty, but I think he is scarred now.  DH said it was everywhere.  So all is well in the Trouble p00py house again :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from twin04. Show twin04's posts

Thanks Medford!! I figured there was an older post, but hadn't gotten around to searching for it yet. I love my pediatrician. He actually said that since DD is still BF exclusively he didn't feel that I needed to push solids and that he'd like me to at least try to introduce something before the 6 month appt, even if it was just once and if I did it the day before. She'll take it when she is ready. He was really good about expressing that with me and didn't want me to feel pressured in doing so. I said I'd at least try it and we'd go from there.

Trouble - Yay!!! My husband still can't handle explosive diapers. He calls me for help every time!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Sounds like a great doc, twin :o)
    We got the go ahead at 4 months, but I didn't see any reason to complicate matters.  However, about 2 weeks later I started to notice DD watching me eat and decided to try cereal once a day.  Eventually we started cereal twice a day and then just before 6 months we started introducing purees.

I don't know anything about making your own cereal, but would it have as much iron if it was homemade?  We made a bunch of her baby food at first (sweet potato, banana, canteloupe, green beans), but that kind of fell by the wayside...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from twin04. Show twin04's posts

Fram - Good question. I'll have to ask the Pedi if that would be a problem. I had planned to do brown rice. I know most of the baby rice cereal is white rice which is why I was going to try the brown.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

The Earth's Best Organic says on the ingredient label that it is made from brown rice.
    Although we only used it briefly before switching over to their baby oatmeal... because of the stopping up that other people mentioned!

Twin - that does sound like a great doctor!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

If you buy the book Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron there is a receipe for homemade baby cereal.  She calls it super porridge and uses it a lot.
    I wimped out on the homemade food thing and used mostly Earth's Best foods. My twins hated most of the cereals anyway so I hardly bothered with them. Since we were formula feeders anyway, I didn't have to worry about the iron content.
    BTW - I stressed about solids and shouldn't have. Make sure you and baby are having fun. You can stress when they are two and say "All done chicken...popsicle?" after one bite of dinner. :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from twin04. Show twin04's posts

MissLilly - Thanks. I will check out the book. That's too funny about the popsicles. I've been pretty laid back about most things surrounding DD and I figured if I took some time to look into this before it was time to persue it, I'd be less stressed about it.