Special Activity Suggestions?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micromom. Show Micromom's posts

Special Activity Suggestions?

My little guy is turning three soon, and his grandparents have offered to treat him to some sort of "special activity" for his birthday.

I was thinking maybe some sort of little kids show (music), or any kind of fun activity (he's an active kid).  We've done the local farm thing already. 

Any suggestions?  Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Special Activity Suggestions?

A friend of mine has 3 young kids, and they love Jump Around in Framingham.  They have a height restriction of 34", but average 3 year olds meet that, I believe.  I'd think he would have more fun if they were willing to treat a friend to go with him, too.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

The Aquarium is great, as is the Children's Museum.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

That's what I was thinking Lissa - Aquarium, Children's Museum, Franklin Park Zoo.
    I think the Circus is at the Garden, but 3 may still be too young for that.
    I'm sure Sesame Street on Ice or something will come to Boston - you just have to keep checking.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

Another fun idea is the Puppet Showplace Theatre in Brookline. A variety of performances to choose from (the schedule changes monthly) and they can be very interactive. My kids have always loved going there, from the time they were around your son's age till now (oldest is nine). The adults in the crowd also seem to enjoy it!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

How much are they happy to spend?  The Aquarium IS great, but just a heads up, a friend of mine just went (less than a week ago) with her 2 year old and her friend with a 3 year old.  She was taken aback by the cost.

For grandparents to take one 3 year old, it would be $35 for parking (more or less depending on how long they stay), $16 for his ticket, and $42 for 2 tickets at the senior rate.  So, even without food and a friend for their GS, they'd pay almost $100.  Add lunch out and another $16 for a friend, and you've got a $150 day.

Not to shoot the idea down at all - I remember going to the Aquarium when I was very little and it is a very happy memory.   I LOVED it.  But, just a heads up, it's not a cheap playdate.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Micro - are you members of a local library?  You could see if your library has aquarium/museum passes or discounts.  I know our local library has passes to all sorts of museums in Boston as well as the aquarium and Franklin Park zoo.  For some of the passes you need to request them pretty early so it might be something to look into.  That way your parents are spending less on admission but still able to do something fun with your birthday boy!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

How about Edaville? http://www.edaville.com/
    I haven't gone since I was a little kid, but my friends have gone recently and all loved it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

Lemon, Edaville is great! Our nursery school does an annual outing in the winter for their late afternoon train ride with all the lights and what-not. It's, from all accounts, truly a great time, a real winter wonderland. (Not sure about other seasons, or the cost, though.)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Kar is right that single-visit tickets to local museums/zoos/aquariums are VERY pricey.  As a general rule, if we think we're going to go to one of these places 2 or more times in a year, we get a membership.  It's MUCH more cost-effective and you can go whenever you want however many times you want and not worry about it.  One thing I know about myself is that if I spend $50 or more to take the kids somewhere, I'm going to want to spend the entire day and pack in as much as possible in order to feel I got my money's worth.  That type of "agenda" just doesn't work with toddlers.  The aquarium membership allows ANYONE to bring your kids.  So, we have a membership for 2 adults (kids under 3 are free) that cost, I THINK, $85.  We take the kids 7 or 8 times a year and my mother takes them once every couple of months.  The Zoo New England membership allows only the named members (and their children) to enter for free.  They do have a membership that includes a 3rd adult to be named.  I think that one is $125.  You can also bring in 2 more adults and 4 more kids for free.  I've invited friends and their kids to come with us.  My mother has brought a couple of mothers she's met at playgroups with their kids when she takes our kids.  My mother also recently discovered the Children's Museum.  She had been getting passes through the library, but the cost recently went up so she bought a membership for us for $125 (with an extra adult for $10 more) as "part of the kids' Christmas present."  The added bonus is that all of these places have reciprocal agreements with other like-institutions, so if you go on vacation, you can often get free or discounted admission at other zoos/aquariums/museums. 

SO...going back to your original question:  perhaps your parents can bring your LO to one of the places I listed above as their "special activity," but as part of that, buy a one-year membership so you (and possibly they) can take him back there as often as you/he would like. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

My nephew who is 3 is obsessed with trains and his parents recently brought him on the commuter rail into Boston from their suburban town, fed him lunch at South Station, let him play on the grassy area of the Kennedy Greenway (they often have a carousel there in the warm weather), and then back home on the train. He loved it! Kids that age are pretty easy to please. I would strongly advise against the kid bringing a friend though. Age Three is still too young for kids to have "friends" that exist outside of school and supervised playdates and a 3 year old isn't going to care if he's the only kid around- actually he will probably love the attention! It would be asking a lot for the OPs parents to bring another young child with them and likely take away from the purpose of the day.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

I second Daisy's post- I have been checking at the last couple of places that we have gone to see what the cost of a membership is. things like outlook farms in natick or the southwick zoo would pay themselves off in two trips.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fakinbacon. Show fakinbacon's posts

Okay so it's not exactly along the same lines as what everyone else has suggested, but when I turned (maybe 4 or 5) my parents got Hurdy Gurdy Monkey & Me to come to the party.  He's one of the last organ grinders with monkey in tow remaining in the country.  It just so happens that he's from Newton, MA!  Well, I wasn't sure if they were still around, but I looked them up and sure enough, he and Coco are still here!  (I may have actually had Angelo his prior monkey).  It does, however, recommend birthdays turning 4 and up, so maybe next year....

Anyway, it's very different and I, after 26 or so years, still remember it as one of the coolest and my most favored suprise birthday presents.