spitting up

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BE2Be. Show BE2Be's posts

spitting up

I could use some advice from the veteran moms...

My DD is 9 days old.  We are bf-ing and supplementing w/ about 1-2 oz of formula a day if needed.  Recently shes been spitting up after she eats. sometimes it's not that much but a few times it seems like a ton comes out of her mouth and once she projectile vomited across the room.  Everything else is normal - she's gaining weight and making lots of p.o.o.p.s. and p.e.e.s.  We called the doc and they recommended keeping her upright after feedings.  Anyone have any other recommendations/tricks for reducing the spit up?  To be clear - we expect a certain amount of spit up but tough to see her whole meal come back up. 

TIA

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: spitting up

A friend of mine was just dealing with this last week.  What she did was to break up feedings and burp every 3 - 4 minutes.  She also restricted feedings to about 10 minutes and did it more often.  She said it was mostly successful with remedying the problem.

Take heart, it didnt' last long; her DD grew out of the spit up everything stage fairly quickly, and they are now feeding as the DD wants in a more "natural" fashion, not breaking it up artificially.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I agree with the frequent burping. Also try changing the position she is nursing from - Sometimes a small change in her position will reduce the spitups. It also could be, that if your milk is just coming in, that she is getting more than she is used to, or getting it faster than she can handle at this point. It should only take a few days for her to figure out how to get enough at a pace she can handle, but in the meantime it can be frustrating.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

we had alot of spit up in the beginning too, and it's getting a little better now (6wks)  like it's not multiple times a day anymore but it does still happen and sometimes seems like an awful lot, like this afternoon :)  I don't have much to add other than to say that it is normal...  even though kind of scary at times.  We had a few where it was coming out her nose and mouth at the same time and I almost freaked.  but all the things mentioned above I think helped, keep her upright while eating and for awhile after, burping breaks- and we also put books under her pack-n-play legs on one end so that she sleeps at an incline...  we tried one of those inclinced sleep positioners but I don't think it's very safe.  the books under the pnp work better.  hang in there and congrats!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

The only other thing I would add is that even though it looks like a lot, the spit up milk is mixed with other fluids when it comes out making it look much worse than it actually is. Both my pedi and my lactation consultant kept reminding me of that fact.

Good luck! It does get better.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

My baby spat up a lot the first couple of month, and yes we had projectile spit up (twice) that scared the crap out of us. The doctor told us not to worry about it unless it starts happening frequently.

Now at 5m it's only just a little bit - normally if someone bounces her or picks her up & puts her over their shoulder - putting pressure on her tummy.

When I researched it online a lot of sources said that if the baby isn't crying afterwards - to not worry about it.

Like other people said about the burping - to also take breaks while you're feeding and give time for the baby to relax and not necessarily gulp it all down.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

So...I would second most of what realitycheck had to say...if it continues, definitely investigate the possibility of reflux.  Keep DD upright after feedings and see if that helps.  With my daughter, we actually had her sleep in a bouncy seat or the swing (not moving, and strapped in) for several weeks.  It really did help alot, and after a couple of months it DID subside.  Just be aware that according to our pedi "once a refluxer, always a refluxer," so just be mindful that she may have problems with reflux periodically throughout her life and may be more susceptible to heartburn as she gets older.

One thing that no one has mentioned is a potential allergy to dairy or something else.  If the spitting up continues, eliminating dairy from your diet and switching to a non-cow's-milk-containing-formula might make a difference (it'll take a couple of weeks to see a difference, though).  This is fairly common in infants and most grow out of it eventually, but you may want to talk to your pedi about the possibility.  (FYI--if eliminating dairy from your diet isn't something you're willing to do, many insurance cos will cover the cost of formula if your pedi writes a prescription for it--BUT only if you aren't BF'ing.  If your pedi says that she doesn't think insurance does that, she's wrong--most ins. cos. do, they just don't advertise it...just call your insurance co and double-check and then ask her again).

Good luck.  It's REALLY HARD to see your sweet little baby having such a hard time and it's awful to think that she might be in pain.  I know my heart broke everytime my DD had to deal with the reflux.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from happy2bpg. Show happy2bpg's posts

My DD was  HUGE spitter for the first several months of her life.   I bf'ed for 3 months, then we did a mix for a month and then she went to all formula.  My DH was convinvced for weeks and weeks that she had reflux.  He would freak out about the amount of spit up that seemed to come out but, like others have said, it is mixed with other fluids so it seems like so much more.  We got the same advice from our pedi as others have said: keep baby upright for about half and hour after.  I always did for more time, just be sure.   I also found that if she was not wanting to burp and just screamed for the bottle back, she spit up more than if she was calm.   She also spit up more when we switched to formula but the pedi said it can take 2 - 4 weeks for the baby to adjust so to give it time.   And sure enough, she was right.   Also, one last thing that my pedi kept telling us; baby's little sphincter ( I KNOW I spelled that wrong, not a clue and the books are in DD's closet and she's sleeping!) is not fully developed, which means spit up will happen even for as long as the first year, until it is more mature.  I have the "What to Expect the First Year" book and I think it's a good go to for questions like yours.   Good Luck!

ETA:  I looked it up and I did spell it right!!!!!   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

Be, I was thinking about your post again and about supplementing 1-2oz and wanted to add that I notice she spits up when she 'overeats'.....  my pedi told me not to worry about what the BF books say about getting in a certain number of feedings in 24hrs or how long she stays on.  so long as she is getting milk, gaining weight, and not overly fussy then we know she's getting enough.  so at that stage, she was only doing 6-8min on one side at each feeding, about 2-3hrs apart.  granted, BF is different for everyone and I have very fast milk supply that she struggles to keep up with, so I may have a different experience than you.  but I never supplemented, not that I was opposed, it just didn't occur to me and I don't have any formula on hand.  but if I would put her on the 2nd side, or mistake her fussing for hunger and feed her closer than 2 hrs apart, it seemed like she 'overflowed'.  I held off on the pacifier for the first 2wks (almost) but would give her my pinkie fingertip and now a pacifier.  she just likes to soothe that way.  oh, and we give a (pumped) bottle at night but she only takes 3oz or less total, so that's my only indication about how much she eats but I think if she BF and then I gave her another 1-2oz bottle she would definitely overflow..... 

I think she has reflux too, b/c she grunts and clears her throat alot - but I am hesitant to put her on any medication at this age for something that's normal (this is not a comment on reality's post because our spitting up was not 8oz and not flying across the room - that sounds very scary and I would have done the same)  our pedi told us to note if her fussing is caused by the spitting, etc and it's really unrelated.  the worst spitting usually happens earlier in the day when she's getting more milk from me, while the fussing happens in the evening as is typical for babies..... so, we're just waiting for her to outgrow it.   it's all more upsetting to me than to her I think.  and like Daisy said, a swing or bouncy seat after eating seems to help her digest.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My friend's baby I posted about earlier with the spit up also had acid reflux.  For the spit up they broke up the feedings and did frequent burping.  For the acid reflux, they made sure she wasn't reclined too far during and after eating.  The remedies seemed to work synergistically.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bean78. Show bean78's posts

My son spit up ALOT and they went so far as to see if the sphincter going OUT of his stomach hadnt formed correctly so it would all come back out. It turned out he was just a voracious overeater. If your baby isnt crying after spitting up then my guess would be its not reflux but its somthing to keep in mind.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hot-tomato. Show hot-tomato's posts

BE,  My immediate thought is that she's spitting up because she is overeating ... or she's just a spitter-upper. I noticed you said you are supplementing with 1-2 oz of formula -- why are you doing this? Or possibly you are feeding her when she really just needs soothing and a pacifier or pinkie would do the trick.

Some kids just spit up a lot -- my son wore a bib until he was about six months old because he would just soak himself daily, but yeah, sometimes he would just spit up his entire meal.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

DD spit up at lot a first, and we had a few projectile vomit situations.  We fed more slowly, burped more often and kept her upright for 20-30 minute after.  Once she was big enough we put her in a bouncy chair after eating.
    Careful about over feeding.  She may not need the suppliment.  My DD seemed to overfeed when she was newborn.  I'd think she was still hungry and give her another ounce and she'd toss it up after.  You can always feed some more in an hour or two if she's still hungry until you get into a rhythm.
    If it continues, ask the Pedi about reflux.
    Good luck - and always wear easy to wash clothes!!! :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BE2Be. Show BE2Be's posts

thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions...

i was supplementing w/ formula during her first week on advice from the pedi bc my milk supply hadnt fully come in yet and she was jaundiced. Pedi sai best way to get rid of jaundice was for baby to p.o.o.p. so we suplemented to jump start her system. Now on day 10 of her life my milk is in and she is po.o.ping all the time so I havent supplemented for the past day or two.  

I have an abundant milk supply now so I do agree w/ the suggestion that she could be over eating.  I'm trying to burp her more and feed her more often but for shorter periods of time.  I am also keeping her upright after she eats for 15 mins.  The combo of both seems to be helping.  We have a pedi apt on Mon and I will definitely bring up the reflux question to her then.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Txgrl82. Show Txgrl82's posts

I wouldn't worry too much about the spitting up. It probably just looks worse than it is, and if she's otherwise healthy you're good.

Take an ounce of water and spill it, it looks like a lot...So, it may not be all of her meal coming up, but it looks that way...

My DD was a spitter for a while, and was strictly breastfed. I tried changing my diet and when I told the pedi about this they thought it wasn't necessary since neither I or DH have any food allergies, so I just went back to my usual eating habits. Eventually she stopped spitting up so much. I think it's just a phase that some babies go through