spring and summer fun fun fun!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Re: spring and summer fun fun fun!

Thanks, ModeratorJen!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Txgrl82. Show Txgrl82's posts

Bradley Palmer State Park in Topsfield has a cute wading pool. There are also lots of walking trails, but I only have been to the wading pool when my nieces were younger.

It's $5 per car or $35 for season pass good at any MA state park.

http://www.bostoncentral.com/activities/spray/p1553.php

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

This is also a great resource for nannies, as I am a nanny during the summer when I am not teaching...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

ALF and others -- what beaches do you like? My favorite Cape Cod beaches are Marconi, Coast Guard, and Head of the Meadow, although I haven't been since I had a baby. I think they might be too much for a little, if they're in any shape after all the crazy erosion last winter.

I'm really looking forward to doing the trail through the marshes and forest at Fort Hill this summer. Any easy nature trails closer to Boston? Our daughter loves creatures and critters.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Here are some guided bird walks - not sure if that's too old for the little ones on here, though. 

Audubon Society Boston Schedule

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

Peonie, you're right, sorry!  I should've included all caregivers in my statement!  But wow, I could spent my summer with the 4 kids just doing a different thing from this list every day!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

What's up with the big park in the Quincy area, near the Corita tank? I see people romping and flying kites there -- have any of you been to it? Is it fun? Is there parking?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Lemon, I go to the beach mainly to walk. I am as pale as Casper the Friendly Ghost, so I go early or late.  I grew up in Marblehead and favored Gracie Oliver Beach [nearly impossible to find if you aren't from M'head and more difficult to park - I'd walk there].  Devereaux Beach is your best bet there. Also Beach Bluff on the M'Head Swampscott line [this was near my grandmother's so I also walked to it].  Both Gracie Oliver and Beach Bluff have big rocks that you can climb out on and sit.  Probably not the best for kids though.

I would go to Good Harbor in Gloucester w/ a beach loving friend. We went later in the day.  Also Halibut Point in Rockport?/Gloucester/Essex? [not sure exactly] is a great place to walk and the beach is okay.  Singing Beach, Cranes Beach and Wingersheek [sp?] are better for kids.  I used to go to those w/ my aunt when I was a kid.  She tans better than I do. ;-) 

If you are going further north, my absolute favorite beach park is Fort Foster in Kittery Point, ME.  It's just over the line from Portsmouth.  We lived in Kittery Point for a few years [moved in Oct] and this place is the BEST for kids and adults.  The park is huge, there is a playground and there are 3 beaches, one of which is sandy and shallow, so it's perfect for little ones.  GL. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I'm pale too. And I kind of hate the beach. I mean, I love it, but only for about an hour. I don't understand how people can go for an entire day, just baking in the sun and doing nothing.

Is there a beach at Halibut Point? I mentioned earlier that it's one of our favorite places, but we snorkel off the rocks. It doesn't seem safe for kids. The trails are great, though, and the views can't be beat.

Are there any beaches of note on the south shore before the cape? It took us FOUR hours to get back from the Cape on Sunday, baby screaming the entire way. Miserable.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I seem to recall a beach at Halibut Point, but it's a rocky beach.  Maybe I'm thinking of someplace else? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

It's a big area, so it's totally possible. We've always gone over to the Rockport side, where it looks like Planet of the Apes.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Jen, no worries!!

I grew up on Good Harbor, as my parents have a summer home there. I LOVE it...so really can't give any other advice for other beaches. It does get crowded, but it is beautiful, safe, has a great snack bar, and the water is awesome.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

If you're in the Belmont area there is Beaver Brook Park that has an awesome wading pool with huge sprinklers for the kiddies to play in. Also the Arlington/Lexginton bike path is awesome for bike rides and long walks. I literally LIVE on that thing during the summer, because the family I nanny for lives in that area.

http://www.bostoncentral.com/activities/water/p1102.php

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Also, Castle Island in South Boston is fun to walk around in the summer and kids LOVE watching the planes land and take off at Logan, which is right across the water.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

BTW,I was talking to my mom on the phone last night and she and my aunt went walking by Preston Beach [not Beach Bluff] in Marblehead.  It's in the Beach Bluff section of M'head and I've always called that beach Beach Bluff for some reason, but if anyone is looking for it, it's actually called Preston Beach.  Duh. :-) 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from happy2bpg. Show happy2bpg's posts

I definitely second the Castle Island idea --- a family favorite for me growing up!!!    One good thing about it is that the breeze helps cool you off on really hot days.    We'd always go there for dinner (cheap eats at Sullivans).   The playground is great and the walk around the "Sugarbowl", including Pleasure Bay is about 3.5 (maybe a little more) miles, and it's flat.  

Also, for Christmas we gave a couple picnic baskets as gifts.   I included a guide for good Boston area spots and used this website:

http://www.guidespot.com/guides/perfect_boston_picnic_spots

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from happy2bpg. Show happy2bpg's posts

Oh yeah, DH and I rented in Beverly before we moved into our house -- they have a great strip that includes Independence Park (with beach down below), then further down the street is Dane St beach (small parking lot plus on street parking) and then a little further around the corner is Lynch Park with a huge parking lot, beach area, playground, pretty gardens to walk through, and lots of shady, grassy areas to sit.  Picnic tables also available.   Good ice cream stores not too far away either!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I just saw these baby sunglasses on the CBS Early Show, and they had a bunch of little ones wearing them.  Looked worth mentioning - they are polarized and have what they claimed is a comfortable, stay-put band.

Baby Sunglasses

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

It might not be fun for kids, but BRIMFIELD is July 13-18. Droool

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3908853. Show user_3908853's posts

you might try duxbury beach on the south shore. we used to head there since the water was usually warmer and not such a not drive as the cape. i also second hull/nantasket beach.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

Just wondering how everyone's summer is going so far.  Any new destinations/activities to add to this excellent list?

Hope you're staying cool!

Jen

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

We went to Nantasket beach but didn't enjoy it very much. The boardwalk seemed like it had seen better days and there was a lot of litter on the beach and in the water. The facilities were nice, though, and the carousel would have been fun for an older kid (my 18-month-old was terrified of it).

After we left Nantasket we went to Wollaston Beach in Quincy and were amazed at how awesome it was! I haven't been to that area in years and years, and boy has it gotten a facelift. The beach was pristine and gorgeous, and the views were spectacular. We had a lovely walk along the water and then stopped at the Clam Box for one of the better fried dinners we've had. I'm not sure if you can swim there -- there weren't any red flags, but even so, it seems so enclosed and city-ish -- but for a happy family walk it was perfect.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Lemon, if you are journeying up to Marblehead, let me know.  You can message me off-line.  I can get you to the beaches mentioned earlier in the post.  :) 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Thanks, GC! The drive out there was so torturous, I think we're going to stick to the mainland for a while.

Has anyone been to Breakheart Reservation in Saugus? Is it fun?

Someone mentioned Cochichuate Park, which we drove past on the endless drive to Nantasket -- what is it like?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I just came across this guy's blog http://dadventuresinbeantown.blogspot.com/ -- he has some great stuff. The Beaver Brook Reservation in Belmont looks awesome.

Sections
Shortcuts