Starting a search for daycare/preschool

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Starting a search for daycare/preschool

Hi everyone,
    The post in the "pregnancy" forums reminded me that I wanted to ask you all for advice about this.  Now that we found a house, we will be looking for daycare in the area for DD.  She is about 18 months.  I think we would start with 2-3 half-days and maybe go to full days if it works out for everyone and we can afford it.

Any strategies for getting daycares to tell you over the phone or in email what the approximate cost would be?  The ones I've contacted want me to come on a tour before they will discuss cost, and I simply don't want to take the time to tour a bunch of places unless I know we can afford them.  (for reference, I work full time and really only have a couple of hours with DD on weekdays, so I'm hesitant to schedule anything unless I have to, and I am saving all of my sick/vacation/personal time for my upcoming maternity leave).

Anyone have any recommendations for the Andover/North Andover/Tewksbury/North Reading area?  Looking specifically for centers (not home daycares).

Thanks in advance!

ETA: If I have asked this question in the past, I apologize!  Doing everything by the seat of my pants at the moment.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Re: Starting a search for daycare/preschool

Poppy, I would tell them pretty much exactly what you've written.  That you don't have the ability to take much time off from work and that you don't want a tour if the tuition is unaffordable.  Hopefully they will be able to understand that.  I mean, why would you be looking for daycare if you do have time during the day?? Good luck!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Poppy... good luck.  I ended up not looking at a place because they simply would not tell me over the phone.  I just thought that was unacceptable.  Have you called Kindercare to see if they get prices over the phone?  I think they did with me.  If they won't, I am happy to ask my Center Director if she can get me the pricing.  I just looked and they have 4 centers in the areas you mention. (I think we are "friends" on this site so I could shoot you my email and then send you the info).

And a shameless plug... if by any chance you go there, they have a referral system where the referree and the referral BOTH get a tuition credit.  It may be $200... so I'd be more than happy to refer you :-)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMMZ1012. Show KMMZ1012's posts

Ask them to mail you a packet of information, including tuition rates.  Bright Horizons did that for us (btw: SUPER expensive in our area) and it saved us a wasted trip to their center.

Next Generation Children's Center is in Andover (we use the Natick location).  I don't know if their tuitition is different by town, but for full time 9+ hrs/day/5 days a week we pay about $350 for the toddler room.

I can't rave about them enough; they're wonderful.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

IPW - I meant to message you!  Actually Kindercare were the only ones to give me a ballpark figure over the phone!  So I think I might go tour them.  I'm glad to hear you are happy with them!  (saw you mentioned it in another recent post)  Ooh - good to know about the referral $$! 

KMM - thank you for the recommendations!

Trouble - The couple I contacted (randomly) months ago basically ignored me when I said that and said, "Why don't you schedule a tour and we'll talk?"  That annoyed me!  It especially annoyed me when some of them said things like, "I'm available to meet with you between 2-5pm."  Um... hello?!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Not sure if you will have a different experience in that area, but most of the centers I looked at didn't do half days.  I think maybe there was one that had a rate for until 3 PM and a different rate for "extended day" until 6 or whatever.

But anyway, if you're already on a fact finding mission, definitely ask about the schedule you want.  There were also some on my list that only did 3 or 5 day schedules (I wanted 2 days), so they got knocked off right away.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Wow. When I made a few calls in my town when I was still pregnant with the twins, everyone gave me rates over the phone. They also told me if there was a twin discount.
    I was asking for 5 days a week. Don't know if that made a difference.
    Who has time to come in and look, if you don't know how much it costs? I'd tell them straight out you'd like at least a ball park figure so you can make an informed decision about coming for a tour or not.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think if they absolutely refuse to discuss ballpark cost before they try to hook you on how ultimately fabulous they are so you won't walk away as easily, they are far too expensive.  A reasonably and competitively priced center would let you know when you ask.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liv22. Show Liv22's posts

http://www.eec.state.ma.us/ChildCareSearch/EarlyEduMap.aspx

Someone on the boards posted this website when I was looking for childcare. You can search by address and choose center based programs. It gives you a lot of info, one of which is price. Scroll all the way to the bottom.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

What the hell is wrong w/ people?  I had the same issue w/ a gym when we moved [Yeah, I realize this is not remotely the same].  I told them, look, I am sure your facility is fantastic but if it is out of my price range, there is absolutely no way I am going to join, so could you give me a range of figures so that I can determine if it is worth both of our whiles to come in and take a look? 

Why they think you have a magic money tree or will go w/o food to send a child to a facility b/c it is so wonderful, I have no idea.  What is so hard to understand about 'if I can't afford it, I don't want to waste my time or your time by coming in and looking at it'.  It's not rocket science!  Good luck. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Forgot about this post!  Thanks, everyone.  I'm going to get started on this and we'll see how it goes...