Starting Solids - How much/frequency

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from crackersandcheese. Show crackersandcheese's posts

Starting Solids - How much/frequency

My little guy turns 6 months this week and I am anxiously awaiting our 6 month check up to ask all these questions but with the holiday we don't get to go until next Friday.At our 4 month appointment our pedi recommending waiting until 6 months to start solids, I think mostly because I told him I was in no rush. I was still adjusting to being back at work and didn't want another element thrown into the hectic morning/night routine if it wasn't necessary. He did mention if we wanted to start to do 2 weeks of rice cereal, 2 weeks of oatmeal and 2 weeks of barley. About 3 weeks ago we gave rice cereal a shot but our baby freaked out so we waited a week and tried again. Did a bit better the 2nd time but still started crying after about 3 spoonfuls. Anyway, after trying about 5 times he has the hang of it and seems to be enjoying it. So here are my questions! How often should I be feeding him? We have been giving him rice cereal once a day at dinner. Should this "meal" replace me breastfeeding him or should we be doing both? I had read to breastfeed first and have been doing that but my husband seems to think this is making him too full for the cereal (he has only finished the whole portion once). Typically (the days that I work) he will have a bottle around 3/4pm and when I get home around 5:30/6ish he'll want to eat but I think it's more just because he wants snuggle time with me. I'll feed him again before bed at 7:30. So I guess the question is should I just give him the cereal at 6pm or feed him too?Is there a point that we should start adding a morning meal as well?Are there any online resources for this type of thing? I checked out the Gerber menu planner but it seems like way too much food for where we are at right now. I am just confused about how to know when to increase portions and introduce additional meals (breakfast, lunch) and new foods (fruits, veggies).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

Re: Starting Solids - How much/frequency

Its frustrating because there doesn't seem to be any hard and fast rules about the feeding.  We started with cereal a little earlier than you did (5 months).  DD didn't like it so we gave her some veggies (I had a frozen stash from a winter CSA) and then we reintroduced cereal (oatmeal and barley) which she tolerated more.  I think I added a 'meal' every  month so by 7 months she was eating three meals.  The rule is BM before a meal which I follow for every  meal but dinner because I like to nurse her close to her bedtime.  These meals should not replace nursing  because its simply getting your child accustomed to food and textures.  Its really not about nutrition at this time.  In the morning, I nurse and feed her anywhere betweeen 30-60 minutes after nursing.

When I called my pediatricians office, they gave me a guideline of how much she should eat and types of food to introduce which I used as my guidelines.  I think I did cereal, veggies, and fruits last (fruits are sweeter and most infants like them).  I started with a few tablespoons of cereal mixed with water or bm and DD liked the cereal thicker than what is recommended on the box.   www.wholesomebabyfood.com may be a good place to start for guidelines.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Ellen Slatter "Child of Mine" is a wonderful book full of great advice for feeding from infancy to toddlerhood.
    I formula fed so I can't comment on whether to nurse before or not.  I ended up giving 1/2 a bottle then some food then the rest of the bottle
    My son hated cereal with formula or water so I moved quickly to veggies and mixed the cereal with that.  Once my twins had tried all the veggies ( 3 day rule etc) we moved on to fruits as well.
    I think at 6 months we were having cereal with fruit in the morning and cereal with veggies at night. But we started solids at 4 months so adjust accordingly.
    BTW - don't rush.  He's getting everything he needs from nursing right now.  You just want him to start getting the hang of eating - it's more a learning experience than for nutrition.
    Good luck - don't stress and try to have fun!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

It gets easier, I promise. 

We waited until 6 months to introduce solids.  I actually started with oatmeal (I live in fear of constipation) and DD took to that pretty well.  We stuck with that for a couple of weeks, then added ... sweet potatoes, I think, then something green, then plums.  I think that was the first ones.  I did pretty much one food/week because I wanted to introduce new foods while I was home with her, so that made Saturday morning the best window, so we just took it slowly. 

I was actually told that breakfast is the best meal to start a new food, as it gives the baby's little tummy all day to work, but I think it's really more about your schedule.  So DD got breakfast for about a month, then breakfast and dinner, then I finally got my act together enough to send LUNCH (woo!) to daycare, so you build gradually to three meals. 

And the only bottle that was dropped was her late-afternoon 4oz, and that wasn't until we added lunch.  So she gets about 24oz via bottle, and then varying amounts at meals.  Don't worry about finishing "a serving," as it's all experience-driven at the beginning, rather than life-sustaining. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Also, I didn't notice any magical "and now she sleeps!" benefit to adding solids.  Her sleeping through the night did seem to correspond to adding the third meal, but it could have been coincidence. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

we started at 4 months and 1 week so I can't comment on timing once your baby is a bit older but our pedi said ideally we'd be at 3 meals a day at 7 months.. but take our time.  So we do just one a day right now for the last 3 weeks.. we always start a new food at an earlier feed, then we move to doing the feed at 6pm.  I've been introducing the new food on Saturdays and Wednesdays since I work from home that day.  we started with rice cereal (he likes it thicker than what the box recommends), then we tried carrots, then oatmeal, then sweet potatoes, and this past weekend he had apples.. all going good so far.  bananas is what we're trying on Wednesday. 

we give him the food about 2 1/2 hours after a feed (so not quite 3 when he's starving again) and it's worked out good.  I follow up with about 3-4 oz of formula to wash it all down since he only eats about 1/2 a jar of either the fruit or veggie, and a couple tablespoons of either the rice or oatmeal..  once we are feeding a higher dosage i'll probably get rid of the bottle after.  the bottle after is half the size of his normal 7 1/2 oz bottle. 

I just did what worked for us but got a lot of advice from friends and what they did which really helped me.  I think around 5 1/2 months we'll start a 2nd meal a day...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

We followed a similar schedule/introduction as GC.

Related question, and one I haven't had a chance to research/call pedi about yet... how much protein do babies need (DD is 8 mo.)?  I have a gf with a 10 month old who is shocked I'm not giving DD any meat yet.  I didn't think I needed to rush it.  Anyone know?  I'm going to do some research and ask pedi, but thought I'd throw the question out there to all of you.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crackersandcheese. Show crackersandcheese's posts

Thanks everyone. This is very helpful. I am a schedule/list person so it's hard for me that nothing like that exists out there to follow along outlining how much and often I should be feeding and when to introduce the new foods. 

At about 6 months I am finally beginning to learn that motherhood is not an exact science!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

My two are two years old now, so I'm fuzzy on the details of introducing solids, but here's what I do remember:

Our pedi said although most people start with cereal, you can start with any "stage 1" food you want to (if you're making your own baby food, peruse the baby food aisle at the grocery store to get some ideas and definitely check out the wholesomebabyfood website referenced by another poster).  He said not to worry about alternating "green" and "orange" vegetables or introducing fruit or vegetables first...just wait 3 days b/t introducing new things and keep offering things over time even if they don't seem to like them the first few times.

Solid food does not replace breastmilk or formula at this age.  Over time, as more food is consumed at "meals,"  their intake may go down, but it's still the primary nutrition source until one year old.

The best advice I received from another mother of twins about introducing solids is to HAVE FUN with it.  Especially at this beginning phase, treat solid foods as an ACTIVITY rather than a nutritional requirement, and HAVE FUN.  Enjoy their disgusted faces when you give them something they don't like.  Enjoy their winces when you give them a particularly sweet fruit.  If they eat, they eat; if they don't, they don't.  Don't overthink it (easier said than done):  it's just a fun activity for now.

Follow your baby's lead as far as when to give him more at a sitting or to add a meal.  You'll probably notice as time goes on that he's ready for more.  Unless there are other extenuating circumstances (growth issues, allergy issues, GI issues, etc.), don't worry about how much or how often.  It's good to have guidelines for amounts as a reference point, but all babies are different.  The good thing is that they're great at self-regulating and they will refuse to eat more when they are full.  Follow his lead, and stop when he wants to stop.  Just as adults have days when they are hungrier than other days, so do babies.

Good luck, don't overthink it, and HAVE FUN!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

And Poppy...talk to your pedi about the protein thing, but you don't need to eat meat to get protein.  My kids hardly ever eat meat b/c they don't really like it.  I'm a vegetarian and my husband isn't.  If he makes something with meat in it, he'll put some on their plates, and they usually try it, make a face, and put it back.  BUT...he only makes meat dishes once or twice a week anyway.

When I asked the pedi about it, he affirmed that a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet w/lots of variety is fine for most kids and they only worry if there's an indication that they aren't growing well or if there are signs of a deficiency of some sort. 

As your DD starts eating finger foods, beans, chick peas, tofu cubes/slices (my kids like them pan-fried with some oregano), cheese, and eggs are all great sources of protein.  My kids love all kinds of beans and devour them whenever they're served. 

And again, for now, she should be getting all the protein she needs from milk or formula anyway.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Thanks, Daisy!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

I just bumped up two previous posts which may help.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Daisy is so right -- have FUN!
    I was totally wanting a plan for this and sometimes now (11 months) I still do... but I keep reminding myself that there is no prize for being the first baby on the block to devour peas.
    It took me a couple of months, but now we offer some various stuff and she eats what she wants and we try to have fun.  That website about wholesomebabyfood was a great one for us.

(p.s. Poppy -- we didn't start meat until at least 9 months, and we have lots of friends who have been raising vegetarian kids who are now school age.  Daisy -- I like your suggestions for proteins to try!)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

I have to remind myself that the bottles are still the primary source of nutrition ALL THE TIME.  Otherwise it's all, "She's eating all the blueberries, but no turkey!  She will Fail to Thrive, and become sweets-addicted, and turn to HFCS and then CRIME!!!!  Quick, give her some pasta ... wait, should it be whole grain?  Sh*t!  It was regular penne and now she will reject Wholesome Foods!" in my head all the time. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

I remember thinking wow, if I start feeding her I can never stop.  It was sort of a funny thought but really what it was about was having to pack the stuff for daycare.

I pretty much followed gc's post as well.

Now at 8 months - 3 meals - cereal + fruit for breakfast, veggie for lunch and cereal + veggie or now turkey/chix/veggie combo for dinner.

She takes four 6 ounce bottles in 24 hours.
    Occasionally she want 8 ounces and makes it very clear.  

Poppy - I just started thinking about protein myself.

I started using puffs as pre-meal time entertainment.  I highly recommend for those with older babies like 8-9 months.  She really for the most part just holds them but she likes to do that and I made sure she doesn't choke if one miraculously makes it into her mouth.

There are no hard and fast rules here.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

GC your post cracked me up..my keyboard almost got a bath!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

In Response to Re: Starting Solids - How much/frequency:
      I have a gf with a 10 month old who is shocked I'm not giving DD any meat yet.  I didn't think I needed to rush it.  Anyone know?  I'm going to do some research and ask pedi, but thought I'd throw the question out there to all of you.
    Posted by poppy609

We took a long time to introduce meat because we made all our own baby food and we didn't really feel like putting the meat in the blender.  She didn't get meat until she was able to eat really small pieces.  You don't have to worry about protein because baby gets enough from breast milk/formula.  My SIL did jars of baby food and she had similar questions/shock about the no meat thing because when you're feeding from the different "steps" of baby food they sell there are meat flavors. 
    You might as well wait on introducing meat because as soon as baby starts eating meat the p00p gets obscenely disgusting ugh.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

DD will eat ground lamb & ground turkey, but it's iffy when I give it to her "straight."  And Lissa, your instinct was right-on with the meat purees ... not only are they a pain to clean of your pureeing device, they turn nasty, grey, and grainy. 

However, nothing is too gross to feed my child in the name of Good Nutrition, and I did go the puree route at first (using the Beaba which is easier to clean).  I would mix the meat puree with a fruit puree, usually apricot or prune.  That got the job done.  After she started on finger food, I started making this and she likes it: I take half a pound of ground lamb, sautee in in a frying pan with olive oil, and add lots of cinnamon and allspice.  I break it up into little bits and freeze half, then keep the rest in the fridge for lunch & dinner.  (it's a variation on a kefta kebab I make, but without the cayenne)

Sometimes she'll eat it just like that, but if it starts hitting the floor, I whizz the cooked meat with a veggie puree (usually sweet potato) using a hand mixer and serve it as a chunky puree. 

PS -- what's the thinking on salt?  I was happily cutting up a regular old meatball for DD, but realized I had salted it per usual, and I thought salt was a no-no for kiddos. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

I've wondered the same thing about salt which is one of the reason I have not given DD much of the food we eat.  However, I've been trying to use less of it so she can have some of our food. 

Also, your DD will eat the meat crumbles?  I haven't tried that yet.  I'm still processing in the food processor (which I never thought I'd do).  I may have to try that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Yeah, depending on her mood.  I break them up pretty small during cooking, then cut them up even smaller before I give them to her.  I reheat briefly in the microwave, then let them cool quite a bit before serving. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

I have never heard anything about salt but we limit it anyway because DH has high blood pressure.  We have been giving DS (almost 10 months) meat for a while.  Meatballs, hamburger, chicken, porkchops, steak and he has done really well with it even though he just got his first tooth  last week.  Never pureed it just small pieces.  We did use a few of the jarred meats that we got from my SIL when my niece was done with purees that he didn't mind...he ate them anyway!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

thanks for all the protein info, I feel better.  I'm not ready to give her chunks of meat, nor am I psyched about the jarred meat purees.  She is eating yogurt now, which I think has protein, and we started cheese the other day, which she loved! 

I had the same pause about salt the other day - we made mashed potatoes for us, and I was about to give her some to try when I suddently remembered the salt.  So I didn't.  But I haven't really read up much on it, so I don't know what the research says. 

Ditto the puffs and mum-mum crackers for entertainment while I'm preparing food - she now goes, "Ah!" in a very excited way when she sees the packaging.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

Poppy-I'm not sure if you make your own babyfood but one of my daughter's favorite meals is lentils and sweet potatoes.  The recipe is really easy: cook lentils in a mixture of 2/3rds water and 1/3 apple juice (if you'd like) and add some cinnamon.  Cook until lentils are soft and puree with sweet potatoes or puree and add pureed sweet potatoes. 

Re: salt.  My pediatrician said that additional salt and sugar are two things the LO don't need and gave the green light for everything else. 

Sections
Shortcuts