Starting solids

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Starting solids

So with my DD (now almost 3) I was in the EBF until 6 months camp.  Now according to my pediatrician, the reccomendation has changed again and now solids should be introduced between 4-6 months based on a change in thought about iron stores.  

So we split the difference since DS was showing signs of readiness and gave him sweet potatoes (I know it doesn't address the iron store, but oatmeal will be next) over the weekend.  It was funny because it was like he was born to eat.  He wolfed it down.  

First of all, my DS is a healthy kid... over 20lbs and at the 95% for height at 5 months old and he sits up on his own blah blah blah.  I figure that since he was also 8 days late, he's really closer to 5.5 months (don't know why I'm trying to jusitfy this anyway).

Regardless, what have you guys been doing and what have you been told?  I know that all pediatricians seem to say different things.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Re: Starting solids

We were given the green light for solids around 5 months.  We waited until our daughter was about 5.5 months though, just to be sure.  We were told to start with rice cereal - probably because of its iron content.  She is 8 months now and loves her solids more than her bottles.  She wolfs her cereal - rice, oatmeal, or barley.  We also give her stage 1 and 2 fruits and veggies.  Her fave is definitely the sweet potatoes - she LOVES them just like your DS!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

We were also given the green light at 4 months and waited until 5 months to start.  Four months seemed really early to me although DD would have probably loved it.  We started with rice cereal but DD wasn't a fan and quickly moved to veggies.  She's almost 8 months and eats a wide variety of food and started eating 3 meals a day this week.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The only thing I can add is that I saw that "4 months old is OK for solids" study reported on NECN not too long ago (within last 4 months, I'm guessing).  I have no idea what to think about the study, per se, but it's either a fairly recent revelation (untested on the non-study population of 4 month olds) or NECN was slow to report an older study.  I'm not sure I'd want to experiment with ultra new guidelines, but I wouldn't judge anyone who does.  It's too much to assimilate and act on "perfectly."  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Pedi told us we could start anytime after our 4 month appt.  We watched for signs in DS being interested which was around 5 months.  We started with oatmeal because it had the iron and stuff added to it anyway.  He would screech for more until he got a little cold (just a runny nose) and then he wasn't all that interested.  This week he is fully interested again and is having breakfast and dinner. We do a fruit and oatmeal at breakfast and a fruit, veggie and oatmeal at dinner.  We just started using the stage 2 foods but introduced pretty much all the stage 1 foods to him.  The only thing he hasn't liked is peas but I never liked them either and still don't!

At our 6 month appt. the pedi told us we could also start incorporating meats and by 8 months he said we could give him cheerios or those puff things but are those okay if they have no teeth?  He also mentioned starting to wean from a bottle and head in the direction of a sippy cup.  I EBF except for a few occasions where DS was with his dad for the day so I don't think the bottle thing will be an issue.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

It's funny how quickly you forget things.  I made all of my own baby food with DD and now with DS I'm making his as well.  I was making the sweet potato and couldn't remember how thick/thin to make it, so I added in a bunch of BM and used the magic bullet (best thing ever for baby purees!) and voila, purred goodness!  I guess I got the consistency right since he had no issues with it.  He ate one icecube's worth of sweet potato.  

I bought organic bananas this weekend too which I'm going to start at some point.  I thought I would work the oatmeal in tonight and then start mixing oatmeal and banana together.  

I tend to do all organics for the kiddos whenever possible.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Our pedi actually kind of directed us to start on rice cereal specifically asap, because of the iron.  (DD is almost 5 months) So we started on Sunday.  Here is a picture:

"Open your mouth and close your eyes and mommy will give you a big surprise!"  The pic looks like she hated it, when in actuality I think she was just weirded out by the whole experience. 

It's interesting because my MIL, a retired labor & delivery nurse, has mentioned that it used to be normal for parents to start solids around 3 months, and that she thinks if you wait much past 3 months it is more likely that your child will not take to solid food.  I don't necessarily believe this, but it is a different take on the 4-6 month timeframe many of us are getting now.

Along the lines of food - for those of you who've tried it, it sounds like your babies have liked it right away.  DD definitely didn't love it - didn't hate it, but was fine to stop after a few spoonfuls, and didn't really understand how to swallow.  Has anyone tried solids and had this be the case at first?  If so, does it take long for them to get the hang of it and enjoy it?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Poppy, our daughter definitely didn't hate or love her cereal at first.  At the first bite, she was completely bewildered.  I think it took her a couple weeks to come around and we didn't offer solids every day at the beginning.  Like I said before, she is now a chow-hound when it comes to her solid food. 

And eating from the spoon is a whole new experience for these little ones.  The natural reaction is for their tongues to push the food back out.  After a while, they will learn how to bite and take the food off of the spoon.  Our daughter was a preemie, so we had the benefit of an early intervention therapist coming to our home every other week for a while.  One of the things that the therapist said was to try and avoid the urge to scrape the food off of the spoon on the roof of her mouth.  She said we should really try to encourage her to take the food off the spoon herself.  The reasoning behind that is that the motion that babies' mouths make to eat helps them with language and making consonant sounds later on.  First come the vowel sounds (all those "a", "o", and "eeeee" screechy sounds that we are soooo familiar with!), then the consonants.  I found that little correlation really interesting.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Oh, and that picture is simply adorable!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

When I started my 2.5 y/o on solids at 6 months, she grabbed at the spoon.  So I gave it to her.  She then promptly threw it onto the floor with attitude.  She hated eating when we started.  It probably took 4-5 months before she actually liked it and she really liked table food more. Now she goes through phases where one day she never stops eating and the next she barely has anything.

With my 5.5 month olds, we haven't started them on solids yet (our pedi was in the wait til 6 months camp) but DS is so ready (almost lept out of my arms to get at something I was eating the other day) I might go ahead and try him on some rice cereal mext week.  DD is not ready (pays no attention to anyone elses eating, doesn't chew along with you when your eating and most importantly doesn't really sit up very well even in the bumpo).  Having 2 babies is very interesting.  They don't do anything on the same schedule.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Poppy - it took a few days to a week for our LO to start to enjoy it.  At first it was just like you describe -- she just thought it was weird.

Your picture is super cute.  Not that you asked, and this is off-topic, but I have to tell you that I don't trust Bumbos.  Our daughter can turn herself sideways and lean over the side, and I have another friend whose baby can arch herself out over the back.  We still use ours for supervised stuff like in your picture, but I just wanted to let you know.

Does anyone use iron drops?  Our LO has started rejecting cereal and I am a little worried about the no iron in her diet (7 months).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from grimalkin. Show grimalkin's posts

LLLE - you can give them the puffs and cheerios before they have teeth. The puffs are mostly air and dissolve really quickly once they hit saliva. I was more nervous about the cheerios but my DS did just fine with those, too. I started those around 9 mos? One of my big fears is choking so we took things very slow.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Regarding the puffs with no teeth - they dissolve in your mouth pretty quickly, so even with no teeth babies can power through them. Also, they were like crack to DD, she could eat a ton of them. Plus, she loved to feed herself, so it helps with developing the pincer grip.

Medford - have you introduced meat into your LO diet? Red meat especially has tons of iron. But if you would prefer not to introduce meat, I think you can get Tri-vi-sol with iron.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

In Response to Re: Starting solids:
    [QUOTE]Poppy - it took a few days to a week for our LO to start to enjoy it.  At first it was just like you describe -- she just thought it was weird. Your picture is super cute.  Not that you asked, and this is off-topic, but I have to tell you that I don't trust Bumbos.  Our daughter can turn herself sideways and lean over the side, and I have another friend whose baby can arch herself out over the back.  We still use ours for supervised stuff like in your picture, but I just wanted to let you know. Does anyone use iron drops?  Our LO has started rejecting cereal and I am a little worried about the no iron in her diet (7 months).
    Posted by medfordcc[/QUOTE]

I absolutely agree about Bumbos - we only have her in it when we are literally standing right there with a hand on her (or pretty much on her).  I really need to get my high chair (it's still wrapped up from my baby shower at my MIL's house).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Poppy that picture is adorable!  We have that bowl too!

A friend told me that the first time they eat a cheerio or puff they will choke because they aren't used to it.  I am nervous about the choking thing!

I was surprised how quickly DS took to food and how well he did from the beginning.  I was totally expecting the pushing it out with his tongue (which he did do a little but definitely still wanted more). 

Also, SIL gave us a bunch of jarred earth's best stuff she didn't use so we thought we would use the jarred stuff to introduce stuff before making it.  A lot of the stage 2 stuff though is combinations of foods.  If DS hasn't had any of the foods in a combo jar is it still okay to try it?? 

Oh and we made our own sweet potato and it was surprisingly easy!  I didn't get a very big potato though so it didn't make a ton; enough for two meals.  I'm kind of excited now to continue making it! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Hi LLLE.  I have not gotten around to making my own baby food just yet.  I am totally impressed by all of you that do!  I just have not found the time yet and in the meantime we've been feeding our daughter earth's best organics jarred foods.  I'm not sure what is "correct" but I would give her the combo stuff only after she'd already had one of the ingredients.  That way if she had a food allergy reaction, I would know which food it was.  I only gave her the apple-blueberry combo after she had shown no allergy to the plain apples.  If something happened I would know it was the blueberries.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

Poppy-Your DD is really adorable!  My DD didn't take to the rice cereal at first.  I tried it for the four days and then switched to veggies which she took to right away.  I really think the rice cereal was so bland that she wasn't interested. 

LLLE-The Happybellies company makes puffs that melt therefore reducing the choking hazard.  I haven't tried them yet because the packaging suggest that the LO should be crawling before trying.  However, I think I'll give it a try since I've tried MumMums (rice crakers that melt) and she loves them.  In terms of combination food, I'm making it and I make sure that she's OK with both foods before I combine.  However, ALS' approach should also work.  I know for multigrain cereal, I've been told to expose DD to the major ingredients such as rice, oatmeal, and barley before trying. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jewelsagem. Show jewelsagem's posts

Lost, my understanding on the starting solids debate is this:  the AAP committee on breastfeeding says 6 months but the AAP committe on nutrition says 4-6 months.  I'm going with the 6 months b/c we have been exclusively BF and I just want to do what I can to make sure we continue!

IPW the schedule you posted was really helpful.  DD is 5.5 months so we will be starting soon.  She's not really on a schedule per se, just eating every 2-3 hours as she always has. 
    I'm interested to hear what others' schedules look like?  Do you always give milk prior to food? 

Also, I pump just enough for DD during the day, and am not sure I'll have extra to mix in with food.  In that case, is it better to mix with formula or can I just go with water?  I know they always say either, but what's ideal?

Oh and Poppy, DD is so cute!  We also have the same bowl and of course Sophie!!  My daughter's thighs also get stuck in the bumbo...but that doesn't stop her from trying to completely arch out of it.  She finds it really boring, and we hardly ever use it now!  I mostly only use it to cut her toenails b/c she can't move her feet :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

cute photo - thanks for posting it!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

Jewel-It is recommended that you BF first then feed.  I am able to do that for breakfast and lunch.  I switched it up for dinner because DD and I both prefer to nurse before she goes to sleep. 

In terms of schedule, this is what our ideal schedule looks like

6:30 wake up and nurse
    7:30 b-fast (cereal, fruit, and veggie)
    8:30 nurse/bottle
    11 nurse/bottle
    12:30 lunch (veggie& fruit and yogurt)
    3 nurse/bottle
    5:30 dinner (cereal, fruit, and veggie)
    6 bedtime

FWIW, I add extra BM to the cereal when I have it. I also make my own food and most of my fruit purees have a high water base so I can often get away with adding cereal to the fruit and not having to supplement with any liquid.  If I need additional liquid, I've used filtered water.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Oops - I just fed her cereal and she's due about now to nurse (didn't know about the nurse-first).  We'll see what happens.  She did much better with the cereal today, actually wanted it!  And thank you for all the comments!

Jewel - great idea about the toenail clipping!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Amy - too funny about your crack comment -I literally just posted the same thing about the mobile in other subject.

I agree totally about the bumbo. We used it at first for eating.   Really the bumbo window is very narrow.  DD will absolutely stand up in it now.  Not my best purchase.

We brought out the high chair and I managed to lacerate my finger requiring 5 stitches when cutting a plastic tie - word of caution ladies - use scissors and not a steak knife.  Nothing fun about bleeding all over the house when DH was not home.

Very cute pix poppy.  DD did not like eating either at first.  I think she is getting it more and more.  Since she is the size of a 9 month old in height, I think I need to step it up a little.  We are only doing dinner (veggie and cereal) at this time but over the next couple of weeks will probably add in lunch.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Thanks, IPW.  She definitely still nurses for a full meal, and like your DS, it soothes her and helps with bedtime. 

Yikes, Luck!  Hope you're ok!  Was DD home with you?  I'm not sure what I'd do if something like that happened to me when I had DD and DH wasn't around!  Did you drive yourself to the hospital?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

We do the same thing with the nursing and solids.  He usually nurses around 3pm with dinner around 5/5:30 and then nurse before bed around 7pm.

I second the bumbo being kind of a waste of a purchase.  Everyone recommended it to me and we did use it a little but totally could have done without.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

I agree with what everyone else has posted re the original question (and the cuteness of the photo)- my ped. gave us the impression we COULD start at 4 months or when DS seemed ready- but it was Recommended that we wait until 6 months if we were breast feeding.

we only introduce one at a time- we are making our own although I wanted to get some of those blended pouches for the diaper bag ("just in cases"- right now, we only have the organic applesauce just in case we get stuck somewhere and need food). I did a the cereals first, then a bunch of veggies, and then started alternating between fruits and veggies- however, I have realized that crazy amounts of p00p often result following more than two fruits a day... so he winds up eating a ton of veggies. he is now up to 4 ounces of food at dinner with cereal (and about 2-3 ounces for breakfast and lunch, with cereal and sometimes yogurt too).  we have maybe 8 of each (veggies and fruits) to choose from.

Sections
Shortcuts